Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Alien Planet

Off-topic stuff!

Alien Planet

Postby ChaosTLW » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:24 pm

What happens when we find life outside our own planet? Discovery Channel brings viewers on a virtual mission of the future. Right now, the search for planets with "life signatures" goes on. These efforts are global, and experts tell us on camera how this search for life is progressing around the world. No longer just the domain of science fiction, what could alien life really look like? Alien Planet dramatizes an exciting — and possible — answer.

The drama takes place on Darwin IV, a fictional planet 6.5 light-years from Earth, with two suns and 60 percent gravity. Having identified Darwin as a world that could support life, Earth sends a pilot mission consisting of the mothership Von Braun and three probes: Balboa, Da Vinci and Newton. This unmanned fleet is responsible for finding and assessing any life-forms on Darwin IV. Initially, the expectation is to find microscopic life, but the probes soon find themselves in the middle of a developed ecosystem teeming with life of all sizes.

The viewer experiences Darwin IV through the "eyes" of the probes Ike (Newton) and Leo (Da Vinci), whose data is relayed back to the mothership and then communicated to Earth. The biological and atmospheric data from the probes and mothership are relayed to viewers through computer voice simulation and on-screen readouts.

Real scientists consider data in this planetary environment. They discuss the larger issues of the possibilities of life outside our solar system and deconstruct the animals on Darwin IV, basing the analysis on the laws of evolution and physics. Where possible, life-size animal images and the real probe prototypes will help the audience to understand the current, real basis of the search for other planets. Stephen Hawking, Michio Kaku and other big thinkers and scientists will participate in the discussion of where science is today. Other participants include Jack Horner, Craig Venter, George Lucas and NASA's chief scientist, Jim Garvin.

The drama on Darwin IV is motivated by real science missions, such as the NASA Origins Program and the NASA/JPL Planet-Finder Mission, as well as the European Space Agency's Darwin Project. The Discovery Channel's founder, John Hendricks, recently announced that Discovery is helping to fund a planet-finding telescope, at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Ariz. Rooted in real-life endeavors, scientists have designed the planet of Darwin IV (which lies in a known star system), the probes and spacecraft, as well as the various life-forms found.

lol too lazy to write a topic, just copy+pasted from the video.

THE VIDEO

This is one of the most interesting and wonderful documentaries(actually a docufiction but oh well) I've ever seen. It is a bit old(from 2006 if I'm not mistaken) but it is wonderful anyway. Completely recommend EVERYONE to watch. I just watched it again today and it warmed my heart because it was one of the first documentaries I remember about and started my fascination for Astrobiology and astronomy in general :,3
Last edited by ChaosTLW on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Re: Alien Planet

Postby ozone » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:24 am

you know in 2011 NASA reported that there where around 21 planets with Earth-like atmospheres now if only we can make FTL drives for space ships i hope people still look at this fourm i find this shit AWESOME
ozone

Postby Varun » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:43 am

Its possible, maybe not extremely likely, but possible that space travel will be possible on a large scale within our lifetimes. I'm fascinated by this stuff, and watch all the documentaries I can. But, I just hope that we don't meet hostile life out there. Halo, lest we forget.

Its quite possible, in fact quite likely, that there is intelligent life out there. And whos to say it won't be hostile. If they're anything like us, they'll nuke us out of the sky, should they detect us.
Varun
{RS} Leader

Location: Burnie, Tasmania, Australia, where I will be in my bed from 0000 to 1300.

Postby ChaosTLW » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Varun wrote:Its possible, maybe not extremely likely, but possible that space travel will be possible on a large scale within our lifetimes. I'm fascinated by this stuff, and watch all the documentaries I can. But, I just hope that we don't meet hostile life out there. Halo, lest we forget.

Its quite possible, in fact quite likely, that there is intelligent life out there. And whos to say it won't be hostile. If they're anything like us, they'll nuke us out of the sky, should they detect us.

Nothing grants that they WILL be ANYTHING like us. Hell, for all we know they could be a Silica-based lifeform instead of Carbon-based, like we are. However there is also no reason to thing they wouldn't be like us. We should be prepare for everything.
Although the aliens would most likely sit in Space outside our weapons' range, throwing Kinect Energy Weapons at us until we surrender or die.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby ozone » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:06 pm

i think that if there are aleins that we meet and we go to there home planet and discover them odds are that we will be the technology advanced ones. also i think that would be a great thing to happen we learning new cultures and what not
ozone

Return to The Lounge