Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Voxlap on other platforms

All third party apps for AoS.

Voxlap on other platforms

Postby Ericson2314 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:26 am

Well, this isn't really an tool or utility, but for a while I have been trying to port Voxlap (the engine behind Ace of Spades) to Linux (and by extension anything that supports SDL). https://github.com/Ericson2314/Voxlap-Port I discussed this a bit on IRC, but thought i'd make a thread on the forums for good measure.

I had heard of Voxlap long before, but after discovering Ace of Spades I was decided to do this. It was a good way to learn some C, and I might even be able to help the team port Ace of Spades. Now of course, the team in in the midst of doing a full rewrite, but i figure this is still useful to anyone else who might want to use Voxlap in the future, and maybe even with Ace of spades as a stopgap until 1.0 is ready.

Anyways enough storytelling. I am now getting pretty close to finishing the port, but a little help would go a long way. For example If by any chance the team has replaced bits of Voxlap's inline assembly with C(++), that would help tremendously with porting as different compilers treat inline assembly in vary different ways. Alternatively if anybody wants to tackle a section of inline assembly, and either rewrite so gcc will understand, or replace it with c, that would also be great. I don't know whether converting or removing inline assembly will get to a finished port faster, so i've made a git branch for each method to work on both concurrently.

Anyways, whether or not this makes it into AoS, I'd love to see it through. And I was hoping other people here might be interested too.
Ericson2314

Re: Voxlap on other platforms

Postby HoboHob » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Ah this is nice, this will be helpful for developing Voxlap games on Windows too.

Because GCC has major problems with Voxlaps inline assembly :/
HoboHob

Postby Ericson2314 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:46 am

Well, you can always use MSVC. But yeah, if one wants to use sdl or gcc with voxlap for any reason, this will help.
Ericson2314

Postby HoboHob » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:09 pm

I hate MSVC.

It's probably just me though.
HoboHob

Postby Ericson2314 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:44 am

Well, gcc is supposed to make the fastest code, even if it does compile a bit slower. I haven't heard to many stats about MSVC, which makes me guess it's probably playing catchup.
Ericson2314

Postby Ericson2314 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:01 am

http://www.technicrafts.com/AssyXlate.htm hmm, with this I might have this thing finished very soon...
Ericson2314

Postby Orangestar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:05 am

When I thought about this, I realized compiling from the source would be paradise for hackers.
Orangestar

Postby topologist » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:45 am

There's nothing stopping anyone from compiling it now, though. The *game* isn't being ported, just its engine.
REDACTED
topologist
[SPQR] Member

Postby Ericson2314 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Yeah this doesn't change the state of things in the Windows. Having an open source engine does make hacking easier but that damage is done. Besides, the only truly secure way to guard against hacking is to do server side anti-cheat.
Ericson2314

Postby Ericson2314 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:01 pm

OK, Everything compiles and sorta-runs with gcc on x86-32 (Windows+mingw+msvcrt or unix+gcc+glibc doesn't matter). There are still crippling bugs that keep this from being usefull, but hopefully they won't actually be too hard to fix.
Ericson2314

Postby jojoestinky » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:01 pm

If you are interested in a commercial project, please get in contact with me.
If you have any one else on your team with knowledge of of the .VOX or .QEF file format, please have them contact me too.

Very nice work you are doing here. looking forward to your updates 8)
jojoestinky
[C.H] Member

Postby Ericson2314 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:08 am

Well, I long ago sent jojoestinky a PM, but to sum up for anybody else interested:
  1. I am working by myself on this one.
  2. I have no special knowledge of the .VOX or .QEF. Porting is gives me a basic understanding of the interface and large-scale design, but not any in depth semantics such as filetypes. If it's done internally with nothing but good old std C, It's already portable.
In more interesting news, his post gave me the idea of porting slab6 too. I took a look and it shares a lot of the same code as Voxlap, and faces almost identical issues being ported. Thus with hardly any effort at all I was able to do most work. A little bit more inline asm to fix, and besides UI code will be in the same boat Voxlap is now. (It's all in the same github/gitorious repository for anyone to see as a lot of stuff is shared.)
Ericson2314

Postby HoboHob » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:50 am

I have the Slab6 source that should compile in MSVC. Faultcheck gave it to me, maybe I can pass it on.
HoboHob

Postby Ericson2314 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:54 am

Is that different from the Slab6 Source from Ken's site?

Since the post I took a day to basically get it to where Voxlap is now. Unfortuntately it contains some additional calss to directX besides those in the sysmain backend, so I'll still get linking errors, but everything else is cleaned up and should work fine.
Ericson2314

Postby HoboHob » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:16 am

^_^

No, I mean Faultcheck took the Slab6 source and cleaned it up so it should compile in MSVC.
HoboHob

Next

Return to Tools/Utilities