Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Rules discussion topic

Find all the rules, updates and events in here!

Rules discussion topic

Postby TheGrandmaster » Tue May 08, 2012 8:03 am

We have an extensive set of rules that, we hope, covers all bases.
As staff we'll be following this fairly strictly, quoting sections where needed.

This topic is for anyone suggesting ideas for new rules/amendments to the current rules.
IGN: TheGrandmaster or <@tGM~wiki> | #AoS: IRC channel
<@mikuli> the bad part in this plan is that it involves an already busy tea-drinking scone chomper with a monocle
Latest AoS video: here
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Re: Rules discussion topic

Postby kmaj » Tue May 08, 2012 8:16 am

Before the rules got changed, there was a topic about avatars/sigs, saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that flashing/too colourful/generally distracting ones will be removed. Is this rule still in effect?
kmaj
[FF] Leader

Postby TheGrandmaster » Tue May 08, 2012 11:43 am

Read the rules, it's in there (1d).
<@mikuli> the bad part in this plan is that it involves an already busy tea-drinking scone chomper with a monocle
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Postby Riri » Thu May 10, 2012 9:43 pm

On each rule you give can you please say how long they will be banned for or given a warning.
Hey
Riri

Postby TheGrandmaster » Fri May 11, 2012 7:08 am

Well, breaking a rule generally means a warning.
As those warnings add up, we generally give bans at ~3 (24-48 hours), then longer (a week or two) if they come back and break further rules.
There are exceptions to these, some people get month long or permanent bans based on their behaviour, but for the average user, the above is normally the procedure.
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Postby HoboHob » Sun May 13, 2012 9:17 pm

I think there are to many rules. Its hard to remember them all :/
HoboHob

Postby Enari » Mon May 14, 2012 12:02 am

Just practice "common sense" and you should be fine
Enari

Postby Conduit » Mon May 14, 2012 3:10 am

How about a rule against avatar/signature theft?
If there is a rule against this, then forgive me, but I've seen plenty of avatar/signature theft.
I guess its okay if the signature is a picture just from google images, or a wiki, but what if its custom made?
Like, some ones first GIF or picture/signature made just for them? I've seen this happen, and it happened to me as well.

Just a minor suggestion, but too me this appears kinda overlooked. I guess the only downside of this rule would be finding real '' rock hard '' evidence to claim that said picture is ones original own content.
MODS! http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3631
[SPQR]Conduit
PSN: MechaXeno1951

^ CLICK 4 LEGIT 100% FREE DEATHCLAWS!
Conduit
[SPQR] Member

Postby USABxGUNSLINGER » Mon May 14, 2012 5:55 am

Conduit wrote:How about a rule against avatar/signature theft?
If there is a rule against this, then forgive me, but I've seen plenty of avatar/signature theft.
I guess its okay if the signature is a picture just from google images, or a wiki, but what if its custom made?
Like, some ones first GIF or picture/signature made just for them? I've seen this happen, and it happened to me as well.

Just a minor suggestion, but too me this appears kinda overlooked. I guess the only downside of this rule would be finding real '' rock hard '' evidence to claim that said picture is ones original own content.

Although I see your point, I think this would be better as a case-by-case thing, not a physical "rule"
USABxGUNSLINGER
[USAB] Member

Postby Fleischgeruch » Mon May 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Well in addition to the 3rd section (General) rules I also think there should be 1) some sort of restriction to using excessive colours, fonts and sizes. 2) Discouraging quoting enormous posts repeatedly.
Regarding to 1) I see some people constantly making some of their posts contain large amounts of, or even fully containing, italics, bold and underlining for no apparent reason.
Example:
Derp wrote:Hi my name is Derp I am 8 years old I play on aloha servers and I love ponies.

Seemingly pointless formats, when it could have been written, perfectly understandable, like this:
Derp wrote:Hi my name is Derp I am 8 years old I play on aloha servers and I love ponies.

So what I'm saying is there should be some sort of punishment/warning handed our for excessive and repeated use of unnecessary text formatting. It makes the text harder to read and makes me angry :(.
Regarding to 2) Although it is not much of an issue, I frequently see people quoting huge posts made by some people who have a lot on their mind to share with the public (for example, bov's speeches). For example, something like this can happen:
Herp wrote:
-40 lines of passionate text-

and then
Derp wrote:
Herp wrote:-40 lines of passionate text-

Wow nice speech you inspire me.
(so that's just one line of text in response to the 40 lines said.
Sometimes posts can be seen with tiny replies to huge quotes. I believe this is problematic because the actual quotes take a lot of space, for seemingly no reason since the replier can simply do '@OP: blabla' or @le_derp: blabla or '^ blabla' when replying to the post above. Huge quotes also take large spaces, meaning page numbers go up and up faster than they should.
And don't get me wrong, quoting isn't bad at all. It's just that after quoting a huge post, people after the quoter can keep quoting his reply and the next quoter the reply after that, eventually accumulating enormous boxes of text, with about 5 quotes in total. As a result, lots of space is taken which as I said, makes new pages appear faster, making the thread seem more active than it is. Sometimes, people can respond with a simple 'lol' as a reply to a post because [quote] takes care of the 10 character limit. As a result, no contribution is given, but a lot of space was taken.
Also, a lot of scrolling has to be done. But these aren't really huge problems, more like slight discomforts. I think to combat this, people should be encouraged to quote fractions of the text that they are actually referring to in their reply, rather than quoting the whole post.
So those are the 2 things that I think should be looked more closely to.
Attention - User no longer active.
Supprising. Funny. Intidimating.
<+Enari> well, i've slept with 29 yearold that looks yunger
Fleischgeruch

Postby HoboHob » Mon May 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Fleischgeruch wrote:Well in addition to the 3rd section (General) rules I also think there should be 1) some sort of restriction to using excessive colours, fonts and sizes. 2) Discouraging quoting enormous posts repeatedly.
Regarding to 1) I see some people constantly making some of their posts contain large amounts of, or even fully containing, italics, bold and underlining for no apparent reason.
Example:

Seemingly pointless formats, when it could have been written, perfectly understandable, like this:

So what I'm saying is there should be some sort of punishment/warning handed our for excessive and repeated use of unnecessary text formatting. It makes the text harder to read and makes me angry :(.
Regarding to 2) Although it is not much of an issue, I frequently see people quoting huge posts made by some people who have a lot on their mind to share with the public (for example, bov's speeches). For example, something like this can happen:
Herp wrote:
-40 lines of passionate text-

and then
Derp wrote:
Herp wrote:-40 lines of passionate text-

Wow nice speech you inspire me.
(so that's just one line of text in response to the 40 lines said.
Sometimes posts can be seen with tiny replies to huge quotes. I believe this is problematic because the actual quotes take a lot of space, for seemingly no reason since the replier can simply do '@OP: blabla' or @le_derp: blabla or '^ blabla' when replying to the post above. Huge quotes also take large spaces, meaning page numbers go up and up faster than they should.
And don't get me wrong, quoting isn't bad at all. It's just that after quoting a huge post, people after the quoter can keep quoting his reply and the next quoter the reply after that, eventually accumulating enormous boxes of text, with about 5 quotes in total. As a result, lots of space is taken which as I said, makes new pages appear faster, making the thread seem more active than it is. Sometimes, people can respond with a simple 'lol' as a reply to a post because
takes care of the 10 character limit. As a result, no contribution is given, but a lot of space was taken.
Also, a lot of scrolling has to be done. But these aren't really huge problems, more like slight discomforts. I think to combat this, people should be encouraged to quote fractions of the text that they are actually referring to in their reply, rather than quoting the whole post.
So those are the 2 things that I think should be looked more closely to.

Nice speech, you inspire me.

EDIT: Before I get warned (*cough*SLoW*cough*)for not contributing to the thread, I would like to say I completely agree with this guy.
I am just quoting his long post to annoy him. And don't warn me for trolling either. I am just playing a joke.
HoboHob

Postby DrunkenChild » Thu May 17, 2012 3:07 am

In believe you should be more specific with 3I. Bumping should be banned permanently. I've seen many times when a post was 3 pages back and then some says "BUMP" and knocks it to the top when it has been dead.Tush clogging up the list with dead topics and creating now room for new topics to be created. The only exception when bumping is when someone is not deliberately trying to bump and actually has a contributing comment.

If this was passed it would completely stop new good topics from being flushed by dead topics.

Also if a topic is dead for a month it should be deleted thus further helping the prevention of this.
want to see a magic trick click the pic

http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6420&p=179752&hilit=drunk#p179752

There is only 5 in a six pack
I'm not fat, it's just a beer belly
DrunkenChild

Postby Varun » Fri May 18, 2012 9:16 am

I'm not sure if its an official rule, but bumping without adding to the topic is frowned upon. SLoW has told people in the past that he will warn them if he sees them bump a topic with a simple "BUMP!". He says that bumping is fine as long as you are bumping the thread with actual substance, such as actually adding to the argument, instead of just bumping it up without a reason and dropping active topics from the first page.
Varun
{RS} Leader

Location: Burnie, Tasmania, Australia, where I will be in my bed from 0000 to 1300.

Postby DrunkenChild » Fri May 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Varun wrote:I'm not sure if its an official rule, but bumping without adding to the topic is frowned upon. SLoW has told people in the past that he will warn them if he sees them bump a topic with a simple "BUMP!". He says that bumping is fine as long as you are bumping the thread with actual substance, such as actually adding to the argument, instead of just bumping it up without a reason and dropping active topics from the first page.

BNut frowning upon it does not do the trick becuse I still se it alot there for It should be banned to prevent further bumping.
want to see a magic trick click the pic

http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6420&p=179752&hilit=drunk#p179752

There is only 5 in a six pack
I'm not fat, it's just a beer belly
DrunkenChild

Postby Fluttershy » Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 pm

DrunkenChild wrote:Also if a topic is dead for a month it should be deleted thus further helping the prevention of this.

I do believe its nice to archive shit, so no to this. Also in regards to bumping, theres nothing wrong with bringing a thread back to life if theres a reason. Like for example, instead of creating a new thread for X, we can just bump an old thread(ofcourse with the same topic in mind) with a message stating their opinion and why they bumped it instead of just "bumplessthan10characters".
Fluttershy

Next

Return to Official