Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

How to I create a map?

Having problems creating a map? Ask around in here.

How to I create a map?

Postby WyattSimkins » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:32 pm

How do i create a map? Step by step guide please. Thanks. Im sure others have the same question. I already have a server so exclude that part.
WyattSimkins

Re: How to I create a map?

Postby Sandcrawler » Wed May 02, 2012 11:30 pm

http://umh.sandcrawler.net/index.php?pa ... view&id=34

The pinned topics also have other tutorials/guide/examples
Unreal Modders Haven Mapping Tutorials for Ace of Spades, as well as free map hosting.

Add your map to the downloads section on the website, and I will add it to the sandcrawler.net server.
Sandcrawler

Postby BuffetOfLies » Thu May 03, 2012 12:43 pm

I always forget about those tutorials, Sandcrawler. Saves me a lot of trouble. They are a very good place to start and I don't think I would change anything about them. Thanks.
BuffetOfLies

Postby G33KSaraH » Fri May 04, 2012 12:10 pm

How DO*i creat a map
G33KSaraH

Postby LASTofS » Mon May 07, 2012 5:28 am

You again?

I think Buffet of Lies has done a good job explaining how to actually create a map from scratch, please read his reply!
Tsk, tsk. Shame on you for not reading the stickies!

BuffetOfLies wrote:Welcome. I would suggest taking a look at the stickied messages at the top of this subforum first. TheGrandmaster created a good rundown of the basic utilities involved here. I would also highly suggest reading the Influx Guide to Map Design that is also stickied there as he has some really great suggestions on how to design a map.

There's really not one way to make maps, which is a good thing. Different mapmakers have different techniques and it often is quite evident in the style of maps they make. Some people hate voxed, the editor that some with Ace of Spades. It's a clunky ten year old program, but personally, I like it... even if it does crash all the time. But my basic procedure goes like this.

Start with making the terrain with the heightmapper program. The more time you spend learning who the heightmaps work the better your map will be in the end. Then load that map into voxed and start editing. You can make KVX props (trees, tanks, bunkers, whatever) to populate your map with Slab6 or convert them from 3DS models (easily found on the internet) with Poly2Vox. Import these and place them in your map with the U key.

To keep it simple... that is basically what I do. I would suggest reading this subforum and asking questions when you get stuck, we're a pretty helpful and cooperative bunch for the most part. A lot of folks get hung up on how to use the command line programs like the heightmap utility or poly2vox.

Another good place to start might be with the pyspades map editor. It doesn't have a lot of features... yet, but it can be quite useful to get a mapmaker started.

Let me know if you need some more help getting started.
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Return to Mapping Help