Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

AntiBabel

All things voxel.

AntiBabel

Postby BozoDel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:50 pm

This first post will be improved as mistakes are found and new ideas suggested.

It's just an idea that I hope somebody will pick up. Maybe not totally a map, but a gamemode in itself... The basic idea is a map crammed full of blocks where you have to dig down to get the intel and then bring it up to the tent.

First, the map will be divided in two halfs, one for each team. A team can dig but not build in its own half. And a team can dig and build in the other team's area. This works for the whole level, except when noted otherwise. So you have to dig a tunnel you can climb up later. If the other team ruins your stairs, you'll have to redig it instead of rebuild it.

Now we divide the map in levels. In the first bottom level, in the middle, we have a cave, with the exact length and width of heaven in regular babel games. It has openings to east and west, the cave's walls are indestructible (godblocked), but both teams may dig and build inside it. The internal space of the cave should be 6 blocks high, I think. It's interesting to make a small buildable warzone. The intels are here.

The second and biggest level should go many blocks high, like the high parts in bridge levels. The middle, right above the cave, should be diggable and buildable by both teams. If the map gets so fucked up that no other way up is possible, the teams will have to find a way to share this space. And you'll see how this connects to the third and fourth levels.

The third one is only one block high. It's full of small indestructible, godblocked platforms. Imagine that, when the level has been dug out too much, players would be forced to build bridges between platforms (yes, they will be able to build on the fourth level), so the platforms would have to be, I don't know, 10 or 20 blocks apart. Each tent is on one of these platforms. Maybe one in the far east and one in the west, maybe in opposite corners, I'm not sure.

The fourth level should have no blocks initially, but space for some comfortable building. Both teams will be able to build and dig there. Ooh, or maybe a team can build but not dig on its own side in the fourth level, but free to do anything in the other team's half? That should bring some clumsy solutions!

Oh, how about different areas having different colors, to avoid confusion? (that'l never work completely though, unless the server can control the colors of new blocks made by players)

It's at least interesting, what do you think?
Last edited by BozoDel on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YOU'LL GET VIRTUALLY NO LAG IF YOU JOIN A DECENT SERVER AND HAVE A DECENT CONNEXION
BozoDel

Re: AntiBabel

Postby ChaosTLW » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:07 pm

Sure, looks pretty interesting. I would love to try it out.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby HoboHob » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:25 am

Interesting..
HoboHob

Postby Priok » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:50 am

great idea, this game needs more tunnel-based maps.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=3112 - my mods
Ace of Spades leader board rank: 1
Priok

Postby Diggy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:00 am

Interesting. I was about to shoot you down because i thought nobody would find someone elses tunnel, until I heard about the caves. but, what requires you to go to the cave? why not just go strait to the intel and skip the cave. maybe godblock the level of blocks at the caves level (except for inside the cave of course)?
I don't see why more people don't makes forts. even if not useful, they're a lot of fun
Diggy

Postby BozoDel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Diggy wrote:Interesting. I was about to shoot you down because i thought nobody would find someone elses tunnel, until I heard about the caves. but, what requires you to go to the cave? why not just go strait to the intel and skip the cave. maybe godblock the level of blocks at the caves level (except for inside the cave of course)?

Hm, I may have missed some details when I wrote the first post, but I'll correct it. The intels are in the cave! But there's really only one pre-made cave, it's in the very bottom of the map and it's not very tall.

But the tunnels will be found eventually, especially because there's gonna be a LOT of digging. I mean, if you are going for the intel, the "base" and "top" of your "tower" will be easy to find. If you going to ruin the other team's "tower", they'll eventually figure where you''re coming from... This is kind of experimental anyway.

I'm not sure I know what godblocking is... isn't it just making a block indestructible?
YOU'LL GET VIRTUALLY NO LAG IF YOU JOIN A DECENT SERVER AND HAVE A DECENT CONNEXION
BozoDel

Postby Diggy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:05 am

yes, it is making it indestructible. and thanks for the clarification :)
I don't see why more people don't makes forts. even if not useful, they're a lot of fun
Diggy

Return to Mapping