Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Training Course Map!

All things voxel.

Training Course Map!

Postby TheOperator » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:36 am

I have an idea to test peoples skills and help them improve their marksmanship! A "bootcamp" map!

Basically, it would have several ranges set up to specifically test ones marksmanship with each weapon

There would be an area designed to test ones abilities to accurately toss grenades

There would be a small barren area to test peoples abilities to built effective bunkers and timers close to command points for quick block replenishing

There would be another barren area where an obstacle course would be set up to test jumping and moving and ducking and weaving.

(All of these things would be timed IRL by the instructors using stopwatches and such)

Now, ideally there would need to be some places with god blocks to prevent destruction, although I suppose you can always just refresh the map if this happened.

I know exactly how to build a place such as this, but I would need a nice, flat area that would be pretty small. 4x6 acres. The acres would need to be placed as follows

0=acre
X=empty
8=command posts, an acre for each

XX000X
80000X
00000X
800X00

This land area could be places directly in the center of the map with water in the rest of the map.
I would greatly appreciate if somebody would make this simple landmass base for me, and possibly help with construction.
Last edited by TheOperator on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheOperator

Re: Training Course Map!

Postby TheOperator » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:04 am

I will be uploading pictures of the Rifle Range.
All I need is a base map to transfer all of the things I am constructing.

The range starts at 30 blocks and increases by 30 block intervals until the maximum range of 120 blocks (you lose all visibility past 127 blocks)

I stacked the shooting boxes up so they all have a straight line of sight to the targets.
I made the target hanger 2x2 to it could take some abuse while being fired at without collapsing.
There will be a range instructor and a range keeper. The instructor will oversee the shooters and time them, the keeper will maintain the hanger and replace the targets

The targets are indicated by the red blocks you shoot from the hanger.

Rifle Range Overhead.png
The entire range area, each marked by their respective ranges.
(42.94 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

Target Hanger.png
The target hanger. The white backing is steps for the keeper to reach where the targets are located.
(25.36 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

Shooting Boxes.png
The boxes, all lined up
(35.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
TheOperator

Postby TheOperator » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:12 am

And now what the shooters will be shooting at.
I am thinking of making it so people can fire at the targets while standing, so they can have separate shooting times for both standing and crouching.

30 Blocks.png
30 Blocks, this is the basic range and will be used mostly for hipfire or simple quickdraw practice.
(83.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet

60 Blocks.png
60 Blocks, this is the range most people do their fighting at. This can be tested using both hipfire and regular aim. No special skills will be tested at this range.
(85.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet

90 Blocks.png
90 Blocks, this range is where your keen eye will be tested. This range will train you to be more precise and help you not only in your ability to hit targets from afar, but also bit small targets from up close.
(70.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
TheOperator

Postby TheOperator » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:18 am

120 Blocks.png
120 Blocks, this is the extreme limit of how far you can shoot in-game. Its very doubtful you will be involved in engagements at this range, but nonetheless practicing at this range will enhance your ability to spot distant objects and as precise as your rifle will allow.
(69.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet

I hope to hear feedback on what you guys think.

I have plans for the shotgun range to be setup like a "shoot house" where people will be going from room to room shooting at targets point-blank as quickly as possible.

As for the SMG there will be 2 tests, one involving a technicolored target that shooters will have to shoot accurately without hitting any other colors, and one where they will be destroying structures as quickly as possible.

There will will be a grenade range with "hoops" as well as "cooking classes"
TheOperator

Postby Altoids » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:46 am

It's about time someone came up with something like this. Nice idea :)
Altoids
Komrade Member

Postby DarkDXZ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:23 pm

If one could make this epic enough, maybe it could even serve as built-in map!
I don't foresee it having a big priority, though.
"The last thing I want to do is to hurt you. But it's still on the list." - DarkDXZ
You found my secret signature line, damnit! Alright, Polaks are bad, I admit. But it's not their fault.
DarkDXZ

Postby Tek2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Would it be possible to script it so that when you type in a command like /start training 1, you'd have to destroy certain blocks in a certain amount of time to win etc.?

For example a map would consists of chained rooms, to continue to the next room you must snipe 4 targets in 12 seconds.
If you fail the blocks reappear and you must try again.
Once you succeed in your task, the entrance to the next room is opened and you will do the same procedure.

This with a combination of bots (viewtopic.php?f=63&t=6036) could be used for various interesting scenarious.
Tek2

Postby TheOperator » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Well, I am not a coder... That would be a great idea, but I would have to collaborate in some way with the person who is coding those functions through pyspades.

All I can do is create the tests and build the test sights.
It would be great to make some god blocks for target hangers, walls for the "shoot house", and grenade tossing hoops though.

Of course the training courses could all be easily maintained by one person (given a small testing group) but thats not to say pyspades and god blocks wouldn't make things easier.
TheOperator

Postby HoboHob » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:25 am

Needed = true.
HoboHob

Postby kmaj » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:41 pm

It doesn't test the ability to shoot moving targets.
kmaj
[FF] Leader

Postby DarkDXZ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:12 pm

kmaj wrote:It doesn't test the ability to shoot moving targets.

Somebody made working bots script...If I recall.
So yea.
"The last thing I want to do is to hurt you. But it's still on the list." - DarkDXZ
You found my secret signature line, damnit! Alright, Polaks are bad, I admit. But it's not their fault.
DarkDXZ

Postby komerad123 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:14 am

I love it great idea!!!!!!
IGN: G33Kghostmonkey
komerad123

Postby TheSifodias » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:04 am

If this is going to be a server, when is it going to be hosted?
A leader, a sniper, a creator...
an admin, and a loyal clan member of USAB.

TheSifodias
[USAB] Member

Postby TheOperator » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:13 am

TheSifodias wrote:If this is going to be a server, when is it going to be hosted?

Well, right now its just an idea. I don't currently run pyspades and I cant code a lot of the great suggestions ive gotten in this thread

I cant host too many people without lag, but then again as a training course it would only take in a few people at a time.

Just imagine how great it could be to get "certified" proof of being a good player with actual stats to brag about.

It would certainly help weed out the careful aimbotters.

(anybody who does coding or runs a pyspades server hit me up with a PM if you are interested in this idea. I can create all of the courses and tests, I would just need somebody to code in god-blocks and returning blocks for the targets)

And while bots would be an interesting idea, it would be easier (and more difficult for the shooters) to shoot at live targets. (as in, the trainees would take turns being attackers and evaders, that way both sides get a more unpredictable target and can practice evading fire at the same time)
TheOperator

Return to Mapping