Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

[NEW GAME MODE]Last Stand v1.08 + 2 Maps

Post your masterpieces in here!

[NEW GAME MODE]Last Stand v1.08 + 2 Maps

Postby Influx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:11 pm

Over the last week or so, I've been creating a new game mode I'm calling Last Stand, available to download from the link below;

http://www.mediafire.com/?q6dvxohez5cnpsj

I'm slowly testing this script and making changes I see fit. If you want to help, you can either join my server when it's up, or put it on your own server.

Link to my server below, or find it in the server list as Influx's Last Stand.
aos://3785836620

NOTE: It is not a 24/7 server. If it's not up it's because I'm not online, I'm changing the script, or I'm too busy to test it.

Changelog

v1.08:
- Changed the way this script works - now you do not put it in your confix.txt as a script, but instead change your game mode to "stand". This means it shows up as "stand" under the game mode section in the master server list.
- Fixed major bug where the countdown timer wouldn't reset on map change, causing the defender's score to go up 5x as fast, meaning rounds were dramatically shorter.
- Fixed spawn naming in both maps where 'East' and 'West' were used the wrong way around
- Forces players to spawn at a randomly selected spawn if they don't spawn within 10 seconds of round starting/respawning (NOTE: This is a WIP feature and does not fully work yet)

Known Bugs in v1.08:
- The force-spawn system does not work for 2 or more people spawning at the same time, which can cause problems at the start of a round of if two people spawn at the same time.
- Sometimes an attacker will be unable to spawn, giving you the message that you have already spawned. Killing yourself with a grenade seems to fix this, but the cause of this bug is currently unknown.

v1.04:
- Added capitalization compatibility with the spawn commands, ie "!E" now works just like "!e" does.
- Removed capital letters from .vxl files, making it easy on server admins
- Tweaks made to team balance function
- Force spectators to join a team at start of new round.
- Fixed instance where the score counting function was being called twice, making scores go up twice as fast
- Reduced spawn time after the very first round from 60 seconds to 20.

v1.01:
- Prevented attacking side from being to teleport as many times as they like, now they can only do it once per life.

Simply put, it's like Arena crossed with Infiltration, but a detailed rundown of this game mode is as follows;

Last Stand - What is it?

- Each team is randomly assigned a role - attacker or defender.
- Attackers respawn on death whereas the defenders don't.
- Attackers must eliminate all the defenders.
- Defenders must hold off the attackers for as long as possible.
- Attackers spawn into a holding area, defenders spawn into the area they defend.
- Attackers then teleport to a spawn point by typing "!n", "!e", "!s" or "!w", which represent the four cardinal directions. This is done so attackers can co-ordinate their assault.
- Once the round ends, either by all defenders being killed or by time limit, the teams switch roles (attackers become defenders and vice versa)
- After 2 rounds, the team which stayed alive the longest defending the target wins a point.
- The scores are reset for another set of 2 rounds.

- There is also a crude autobalance feature which makes sure the defending team always has the same or more players than the attacking team. This is to prevent everyone joining the attacking team and making it easy.

To accompany this game-mode, I've created two maps of two famous last-stands from history, both of which are included in the download. These are;

#1. Rorke's Drift

Picture of Rorke's Drift Ingame

Available spawns: East, South, West

This was a battle fought on the 22nd January 1897 between 150 British troops and over 3000 Zulu warriors in the Zulu War. Historically, the British famously beat them back while only losing a handful of troops, but now it's up to you to change (or re-enact) history.

The terrain around the drift itself is close to the historical layout. Further from the main outpost, there's no information on terrain or foliage, so I've had to make it up.

#2. The Alamo

Picture of The Alamo Ingame

Available spawns: North, South, West

This was a battle fought on 6th March 1836 between 180 Texan troops and roughly 1800 Mexican troops in the Texas War of Independence. Historically, all but two of the Texan defenders were killed, but killing over 600 enemy troops in return.

Again, the layout of The Alamo is similar to the actual layout at the time. I made a design choice to exclude the small bodies of water and the ditches that surround and run through the Alamo itself because it'd look awful with water only appearing on the bottom layer. There's the town of San Antonio de Béxar to the south, but I wasn't able to find the historical layout so I had to guess at it. It's not for fighting in so I'm not too concerned.

Let me know if you have any other map ideas you'd like to see be made, or if you'd like to make a map yourself and are curious on how to proceed. There's information in the script itself and you can also get information from each map's .txt files.
Last edited by Influx on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Influx

Re: [NEW GAME MODE]Last Stand + 2 Maps

Postby EssigGurkenFred » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:32 pm

That gamemode sounds quite fun... but shouldn´t this go to "script releases" subsection?
EssigGurkenFred

Postby Influx » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Well, it could go in either forum, really. I picked this one becase it seems server owners frequent it more to try and find new maps and it'll (hopefully) grab their attention more. I didn't feel it was necessary to cross-post it in that forum or to split my main post into two topics.

Of course, if a mod feels it should be in the Script Release subforum, I won't complain if you move it.

Is there any feedback on the game mode itself? Does it actually work?! I mean, it worked fine enough when it was just me on my lonesome in a test server, but I don't know if the introduction of >1 player will screw the script up. I've only taught myself Python in the last month or so and that was by reading other people's Pyspades scripts, so I don't blame me for not having the greatest of confidence in my capabilities.
Influx

Postby AWhiteGuy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 pm

Seems interesting

Would it be like arena in that you can't break or place blocks?

AWhiteGuy

Postby MuOa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:55 am

awesome game mode, and awesome maps! me likes
^click
MuOa

Postby EssigGurkenFred » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Influx wrote:Well, it could go in either forum, really. I picked this one becase it seems server owners frequent it more to try and find new maps and it'll (hopefully) grab their attention more. I didn't feel it was necessary to cross-post it in that forum or to split my main post into two topics.

Of course, if a mod feels it should be in the Script Release subforum, I won't complain if you move it.

Is there any feedback on the game mode itself? Does it actually work?! I mean, it worked fine enough when it was just me on my lonesome in a test server, but I don't know if the introduction of >1 player will screw the script up. I've only taught myself Python in the last month or so and that was by reading other people's Pyspades scripts, so I don't blame me for not having the greatest of confidence in my capabilities.

Ahh okay... so then everything is okay. I don´t have a problem if you do this.
EssigGurkenFred

Re: [NEW GAME MODE]Last Stand v1.01 + 2 Maps

Postby Influx » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:17 pm

I've updated the gamemode script to v1.01, with a small but very necessary change.

AWhiteGuy wrote:Seems interesting

Would it be like arena in that you can't break or place blocks?

Yes, I decided to disable damage simply because rolling back the damage takes a long time, and if I didn't roll back, it would mean the defending team could grief their own base to make the next round easier for them. The pros of no building and damage outweigh the cons in my opinion.

MuOa wrote:awesome game mode, and awesome maps! me likes

Thanks, glad to hear you like it. I've not seen any servers hosting this yet but if there are, I'd like to give it a try and see how (or if) it plays.
Influx

Postby MuOa » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:37 am

quick question about this script tho. how do you determine where each team will spawn? say i make a map for this specific game mode. i dont want to have the defenders spawning out in the open and the attackers spawning outside the holding pen. or is it that one team always spawns in the center while the other team always spawns on another side of the map?
^click
MuOa

Postby SRL » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:00 am

AS ghey as it sounds, I love you, dude. This gamemode looks epic, and touches down on famous battles in history. I actually have a friend who is a descendant of a guy who fought to defend the Alamo.
SRL
{AGAN} Member

Postby Influx » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:05 am

MuOa wrote:quick question about this script tho. how do you determine where each team will spawn? say i make a map for this specific game mode. i dont want to have the defenders spawning out in the open and the attackers spawning outside the holding pen. or is it that one team always spawns in the center while the other team always spawns on another side of the map?

To handle the spawning, it's done much like in Arena if you've ever made a map for that. In the map.txt file, you put the following information:

Code: Select all
extensions = {

'attspawn': (x, y, z), #This is the location of the holding pen spawn
'defspawn': (x, y, z), #This is to spawn the defenders in their compound
'north': (x, y, z), #Where attackers can spawn
'east': (x, y, z),  #Where attackers can spawn
'south': (x, y, z),  #Where attackers can spawn
'west': (x, y, z),  #Where attackers can spawn
'time_limit': s #Time limit in seconds (optional - defaults to 300 if this is deleted)
}

Also note that the holding pen should always be located in the top-left corner of the map, be at most a 21x21 square, be able to prevent people from getting out and the top left voxel of the holding pen should be at ground level or lower. This is because the intel and tents all spawn at 0, 0 (the voxel in the top-left corner), and if they're accessible, it can ruin the scoring system. I'd recommend you look at my maps for how to do the holding pen, it's rather specific.

SRL wrote:AS ghey as it sounds, I love you, dude. This gamemode looks epic, and touches down on famous battles in history. I actually have a friend who is a descendant of a guy who fought to defend the Alamo.

Let's have big manly hugs together. I hope it's as fun to play as I envisioned when I started making it. Big respect to your friend's ancestor, it must've been an awful feeling looking out and seeing every hill bristling with muskets and cannons all pointed in your direction, and still keeping the courage to fight.
Influx

Postby Venator » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:58 pm

This mode sounds awesome :D
Any server hosting it?
Venator
[SPQR] Member

Postby Influx » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Okay, I finally snapped and did something I've been thinking about for a while - I bought a server. I'm running this game mode and configuring it as I go (working out any little kinks that slipped my attention first time round or that don't work like I planned).

Link to the server below, or find it in the server list as Influx's Last Stand.
aos://3785836620

(PS: If it's down when you try, it's probably because I'm fixing something, or I'm not online. I won't leave it up 24/7 until the script is flawless)
Influx

Re: [NEW GAME MODE]Last Stand v1.04 + 2 Maps

Postby MuOa » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:13 am

Woohoo! we finally get to try out this game mode and your maps :D

but whoa, you bought a server? i thought you could host it for free... again, that comes to show how little i know about server hosting
^click
MuOa

Postby Influx » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:54 pm

MuOa wrote:Woohoo! we finally get to try out this game mode and your maps :D

but whoa, you bought a server? i thought you could host it for free... again, that comes to show how little i know about server hosting

Servers are free to host if you're hosting from your own PC (and long-term hosting on a home PC is usually not possible with download limits the ISP's have). It costs if you rent a server or Virtual Private Network, which I have done since my internet connection isn't able to keep a server running.

I hope you're able to try it, maybe I'll see you in there.
Influx

Postby Aeroclaw » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Was on as xxDrizzy, seems fun.
Killed [DELTA]FaZe and [SPQR]Venator
Aeroclaw

Location: I live 20 miles away from NIASKA and Scum in Zing Zong Ming Mong Ling Long...

Next

Return to Released Maps