Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Largest hole in the map?

For all things AoS!

Largest hole in the map?

Postby bman7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:48 pm

What's the largest hole in a map that you've seen?

I saw this on Aloha R1CTF:
bman7

Re: Largest hole in the map?

Postby Found » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Thats HUGE! EPIC SWIMMING POOL!
Found

Postby IronShotGun » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 pm

I've got you beat. Found this about a month ago, going down to bed rock.
http://i.imgur.com/CVENh.png
Latest Game Play : http://i.imgur.com/mUzcK.png
uvs wrote:360n0sc0pewEedSmokEHeAdShotToThEBalLs everyone.
IronShotGun

Postby HoboHob » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:50 pm

IronShotGun wrote:I've got you beat. Found this about a month ago, going down to bed rock.
http://i.imgur.com/CVENh.png

What is this Bedrock you speak of?
HoboHob

Postby Found » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:39 am

He mean to the bottom of the map.
Found

Postby Articsledder » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:23 am

Back in the gen days this wasn't very rare. Sometime it wasn't even on purpose, the map was so beat to shit that the mountains were literally gone.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby Marxist » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:27 am

bman7 wrote:What's the largest hole in a map that you've seen?

I saw this on Aloha R1CTF:

^^Half that size
IGN: Groendland
Marxist

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:53 am

Articsledder wrote:Back in the gen days this wasn't very rare. Sometime it wasn't even on purpose, the map was so beat to shit that the mountains were literally gone.

*memories*

kinda wish that would come back =\
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby CraftDinur » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:45 am

Articsledder wrote:Back in the gen days this wasn't very rare. Sometime it wasn't even on purpose, the map was so beat to shit that the mountains were literally gone.

Then again I do remember those teams of griefers who would actually attempt to grief the mountains.
IGN: CraftDinur, Mr. Yoshimori, 49th Parallel
CraftDinur

Postby zephir » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:59 am

when i get bored and need to kill some time I'd join an empty 24/7 map server with a map that's already severely destroyed, and trash it some more. well sometimes I'd build instead, but a griefer always joins and causes me great grief, so I prefer to dig holes instead. even the best griefer in the world can't grief a hole. :)

well here's a recent one... it's not really a hole, but it is alot of map wreaking!
this is a fun map to play on, but the hills really get in the way! I built this awesome bridge to get over the hills, but some griefer just had to wreak it... and wreak everything else I built and TK me repeatedly, I grieved for the loss of my awesome bridge by wreaking most of the green side. there was no player built structures on them and they were in my way anyway.
when i was done grieving for the loss of my bridge I switched sides and just massacred the greens (and the griefer) now that I had wreaked most of their side and there was no cover...
but the same thing happened, I'd run out of ammo very often and hated the stupid hills getting in my way so I flattened them too.
well now with nothing in my way and actually no cover, I decided it was safest to blind fire from the tent...
I spent the next hour just spraying bullets into the green side, managing 46 kills thru the fog.
well every 10 minutes or so the greens would manage to build some kind of fort so I'd have to respawn with the rifle, go over and wreak their fort. then I'd wait some, then resume blind firing.

blind firing is blindly spraying into the fog guessing where the bullets will land. the map actually shows the path of the bullets so that's how you'd aim. since you get absolutely zero feedback on whether you hit anything or not it's not a very effective method, but I don't get shot at and I still manage kills (and probably scare the crap out of the greens with random bullets flying in from beyond the fog)

my awesome bridge
zephir

Postby zephir » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:53 am

here is a hole i did a long time ago.
http://i.imgur.com/8cJSt.png
notice anything missing on the green side? perhaps something along the lines of a fort?
it was really funny when I "dropped" the fort, there were many greens on it. one minute they were on the fort and stuff, and next they were falling to their death. the fort just fell into the big hole I created under it. straight down to the unbreakable layer.

this isn't a large hole... but its quite deep (anticbridge) looking from bottom

I built the flimsy staircase so that it would be easy to make blues fall to their death trying to retrieve the suitcase.
yes i could just shoot them but I find it more entertaining to make them fall to their death instead.

this is one of the biggest holes i dug in a map. this was quite a while back, I wish I got more screen shots of it. the part i was standing on when i snapped this pic was hollowed out and ready to be "dropped", making the hole even bigger. for a time no one on the map knew of the hole, becasue I intentionally left the top two layers of blocks intact. well the enemy started calling in airstrikes, there was griefers... and suddenly the earth opened up, swallowed the tent, someone's big fort, and the entire team! the hole was done primarily with the spade and grenades. it's ~50 blocks deep and approximately 40x40 blocks wide. it took 3 hours to do.
there was a staircase, but I destroyed it when the hole was revealed. my teammates wasn't happy that i wreaked the only stairs to the surface.

I did this to hallway.
becasue the enemy would come and camp at the top and spawn kill everyone. this was shortly after 0.75 update, where the group spawn/30 second wait to spawn was introduced, and it is not cool to spawn, get shot immediately, wait 30 seconds, spawn, get shot, wait 30 seconds...
so I destroyed the areas where the enemy would like to spawn camp from. I had a helper. took 90 minutes.

CraftDinur wrote:

Then again I do remember those teams of griefers who would actually attempt to grief the mountains.

teams of griefers? attempt to wreak mountains?
dude, I can do that single-handedly! I don't need a team (although a team would make it go faster) and there are no attempts. that mountain is coming down!

this is one quarter of a mountain that I bought down. in an active game where the enemy shot at me, so I didn't have that much time to dig. I also had to make sure my "excavations" didn't get in peoples' way or I'd be booted from the server real quick... so there's be things like stairs and etc so other people can get around unimpeded.

after looking around some more, I found a screenshot where i actually did wreak a mountain.
well it was more of a small hill... but an amazing feat nonetheless!
Last edited by zephir on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
zephir

Postby Found » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:57 am

Man. You deserve a thing under your name that says "Best Griefer" or something:
Found

Postby zephir » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 am

it's not griefing. it's sapping. I see it as destroying the landscape to my advantage.
and it really doesn't get in the way of game play... well not in most cases. I try not to mess up the game play. that gets people upset.

most of the time was becasue i got bored.
some of the time was the server was empty or everyone was off building someplace...
and some of the time was becasue there was a real griefer about and destroyed things as fast as i could build them.
zephir

Postby Found » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:09 am

That's the word! Sapper is what I was looking for. I once help some guys take out one side of hallway before.
Found

Postby Articsledder » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:15 pm

While sapping is always great if it helps your team, I used to hate how people would just demolish the green islands. We had little cover before, now we have absolutely none.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Next

Return to Ace of Spades Discussion