Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

[GUIDE]Setting up a server easily on Windows

Problem getting your server up? Ask in here.

[GUIDE]Setting up a server easily on Windows

Postby PXYC » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:56 pm

-First of all, this is the simple, non-confusing way to do it, if you are tired of talk of 'protocols' and 'python scripts' etc. This guide is in plain English, with everything explained :)
====================================================
To start off, Vanilla is the more simple way to run a server. There are less admin tools, and less cool features to use, but it is so simple an 8 year old could do it.
`Either Way, you must do these 4 steps!`

Step 1) Go to Start>Run>cmd
Once you are in CMD, type the following: ipconfig. A bunch of numbers and periods should come up on the black box, and most of that is useless for what you want to do. You should see somewhere the following:
Default Gateway . . . . . . ***.***.*.* (The stars are numbers, but everyone's is different)

Step 2) Take that default gateway, and put it into the address bar of your favorite web browser, where you would normally put a website in. It should look like this: "***.***.*.*" in the address bar. (no quotes)

Step 3) This should bring you to a webpage with a box for username and password. If you know this, put it in. The default ones are:

Username: admin
No password (leave blank)

Username: administrator
No password

Username: default
No password

LOOK on the side of your router for the password, it's almost always there, also!
Also, if you don't know how to do this try going to http://portforward.com.
****If you cannot figure out what this is, contact your ISP and ask for it.****

Step 4) Now, what you should do is look for a section that has something to do with ports, port forwarding, gaming, server setup, etc.
On mine, it looks like this.

Once you have found that section, you want to forward the UDP port 32887. It should say something like, "Add application to forward", and you want to choose custom port. This step is very important, because doing this allows your server to show up on the master list (play page). Once you put all of the port info in, it should look like this. The Christopher.PC thing will be different :P
Congratulations! You finished the hardest part of starting up a server!

*If port forwarding does not work and you are sure you have done everything correctly, try to disable your firewall and then run a server. If it works with firewall off, make an exception for port 32887.

======================================================
=========[VANILLA (Easier, but with less admin tools)]==========
This is the easiest way, and it is mainly for beginners.

Step 1) Navigate to your Ace of Spades folder, which is usually C:/Ace of Spades/
Step 2) Double click Server.ini, and fill out to your liking. Then, save it, and click server.exe. Fill out this to your liking, and then go on until you get the 'advertise on master server' thing. This should be yes if you want it to appear on the master server.
You are done creating a Vanilla server. It should now appear on the server list, and have fun! Be a good admin :)

=========[PYSPADES(Harder, but with many more admin tools)]==========
Step 1) Go here, and download the latest 'pyspades-feature_server' file. It's a ZIP file, so you are going to need to extract it with something like 7-Zip. This is my favorite archiver :)

Step 2) Once you have extracted it to the place you want, you need to get into the 'dist' folder. You should see a 'config.txt' file, and you should open it up with Notepad.
Step 3) This is the most important step, because if you mess the format of the config up, it won't run, and you will get some confusing errors. You see something that says "pyspades server", and that is the server name. Change it to whatever you want it to appear as on the Master Server. Also, scroll down until you see "REPLACEME" in the config, this is your admin password. You change that to whatever you want to login with to get admin rights. Admins can use commands such as:

***I HAVE CREATED A SAMPLE CONFIG HERE***

/god - This command puts you in godmode, you get no fall damage, and nobody can kill you. You can't kill others in this mode, however.
/invisible - Self explanatory, has the same effect as god, but you are also invisible to others!
/fly - This is a very useful one for spectating. Once flying, jump, and press CTRL a lot to go higher. Don't go too high, or it will crash the client, and possibly the server!
/ban [player] [time in minutes] - Bans a player's IP from your server. Put 0 in for the time to make it permanent.
/kick [player] - Kicks a player from the server, but they can rejoin at any time.

Once your config is finished, double click on run.exe in your 'dist' folder, and enjoy! Server should be on master list now :)

I hope I helped you a lot!

~PXYC

*Do not copy this tutorial without credit to me, blah blah blah, blah blah blah.*

So...you want even MORE of a challenge, but more user controls? Go HERE.
Credits for that advanced tutorial to Charem.

Also, to install from source, LASTofSPADES has made a video tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYZdcTDO ... ghXiHBg%3D
Last edited by PXYC on Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 12 times in total.

<+laserlamp> lil b is my fav
PXYC
Local Mod

Re: [GUIDE]Setting up a server in easy English[Pyspades/Vani

Postby tunaspirit » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:31 am

Anyways I've port forwarded (I guess) the 32887 UDP port, however the server.exe still says "Disconnected from Master Server" after a while.
http://gyazo.com/4ac1da94692cb9d610d6148c46594d63
Did I port forward it right?
Also firewall is off so I didn't have to make an exception.
[18:33] <+boolface> hey guys imma releqase 0.76 now
[18:34] <+Ethoslab> TheGrandmaster hey do you have any idea when updates gona come
[18:34] <+gen_applejack> now
[18:34] <+gen_applejack> as boolface told us
tunaspirit

Postby PXYC » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:27 pm

It looks to me like you are 'Port Triggering' not 'Port Forwarding'. I may be wrong, as I am not an 'expert' as you would say, but to me, that's what you are doing.

Port Triggering (Wikipedia): Port triggering is a configuration option on a NAT-enabled router that allows a host machine to dynamically and automatically forward a specific port back to itself. Port triggering opens an incoming port when your computer is using a specified outgoing port for specific traffic.

Port Forwarding (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

PXYC
Local Mod

Postby Szuwar » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:40 pm

I would add this link: http://portforward.com/. There is step by step (with pics) procedure for forwarding many different models of routers. Even though there is no AoS on program list (after you choose model), you still could use any other game or software listed. It's almost identical (only difference is port number and TCP/UDP option).

I've noticed you assume that everyone has an router access. I, for many years, haven't seen router and still all my ports where 'automatically forwarded' so it's not always necessary. The best way (for me) to determine if you need to forward ports is to compare your local IP with external IP. If they differ then you probably need to. (<- needs quotation on this one though. Perhaps there are many varying cases).
Szuwar

Postby PXYC » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:18 am

Even if you don't have access to your router, you can still contact someone about getting it forwarded. In any case, I suggest hosting a server on a VPS, so that you have complete access to your local computer still.

PXYC
Local Mod

Postby NestoFlo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:50 pm

I can't do the server for one reason, password on the "***** *****"
The default password won't work so I am guessing there is a password. My father is very... "protective" so after I am able to take out the password out of him I will definitely add a server.

On the side note, I found this Youtube video which explains it visually. It might help as well, Good tut! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwx-7Jqs_-M
NestoFlo

Postby radical24 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:16 pm

how do i make it work 24/7?

I am radical24{WWS}

i'm a WWS leader

I'm the best noob you will ever see mwahahaha
radical24

Postby Tocksman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:20 pm

radical24 wrote:how do i make it work 24/7?

Either leave your computer on all the time or purchase a server.
Tocksman

Postby LeX » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:28 am

Nice topic. Thank you!
LeX

Postby PXYC » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:19 pm

No problem, LeX. Didn't I see you on Minit US? You were a boss at that, haha.

PXYC
Local Mod

Postby LeX » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Mmmm... I think so yeah :D You're the one that started the votekick against me for "hacking"? :D
LeX

Postby MegaDeuce » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:11 am

One time, I wasn't able to host a server for like 3 weeks. When I finally figured it out I felt like an idiot: my local IP address suffix (i.e. the last three digits) had changed itself randomly! I had to reset the ports on my router to get it to work again.

/cool story MegaDeuce
MegaDeuce

Postby PXYC » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Haha fail.

PXYC
Local Mod

Postby radical24 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:47 am

Oh it's you i saw you in minit US and hallway you wer'e admin there

I am radical24{WWS}