Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

[Map] Life

Post your masterpieces in here!

[Map] Life

Postby Who » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Life v1.0 by Who

The files:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/87376486/Life.vxl
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/87376486/Life.txt

I have made this map with Golly, Photoshop, Pyspade editor & Voxed. It's based on the famous "Game of Life".
It can be some kind of alien forest... (alien/austronaut skins & mods would be nice)
This map is made for everyone (Intel runners, Snipers, Builders even griefers) and can be played CTF or TC.
It's my first map so let me know what you think. Map txt file is Standard. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Who on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Who

Re: [Map] Life

Postby Falk3n » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:32 pm

The Game Of Life is pretty neat. All those patterns... I've used Golly before once or twice...

Maybe include bigger pictures (helps me see it better so that me want to download it!) but it looks pretty awesome. May I ask how Golly was involved? Did you just run a random simulation?
Falk3n

Postby Who » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:09 am

Falk3n wrote:The Game Of Life is pretty neat. All those patterns... I've used Golly before once or twice...

Maybe include bigger pictures (helps me see it better so that me want to download it!) but it looks pretty awesome. May I ask how Golly was involved? Did you just run a random simulation?

Hi Falk3n,
For this map, I have run a 50% black & white noise pattern with the Conway's rule (known as "life") to a hundred steps in order to let the cellular automata organize himself. From then, i have copy the 63 next frames from Golly into 63 layers in Photoshop. After coloring and cleaning each layer, i have paste them into Pyspades editor. Of course, everything is 512x512.
Here is some pics of maps made with other rules:

- Brian's Brain rule: (stairs, walls, towers)

- Daemon's rule (caves)

You can also do nice things with replicators like strange pyramids or buildings. If you want symetrical maps, just start with a symetrical pattern.

Is it the answer you expected ? Forgive my poor english :)
Who

Postby BuffetOfLies » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:13 pm

Fascinating! I wonder if hompy or someone could create a cellular automata program like 'Life' for Ace of Spades. Anyways, really interesting idea.
BuffetOfLies

Postby lalorobot » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Really good!
All war is deception
-Sun Tzu
lalorobot

Postby Falk3n » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Who wrote:Is it the answer you expected ? Forgive my poor english :)

Yea, that's perfect! Awesome idea to use Conway's Game Of Life to create maps.
Falk3n

Return to Released Maps