Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Nerf the Rifle. Slow it down.

Got a great new idea for the game?

Re: Nerf the Rifle. Slow it down.

Postby whatd » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:01 am

Count me as one who wants the rifle tamed in some fashion. It's turned gameplay into walk, headshot, walk, headshot,walk, headshot, walk, headshot, rather than everything else it should be. I used to be able to hit rifles with the smg and a steady shot, but now I can't pop my head up for a second before headshot, walk, repeat.

I used to just ignore all the aimbots and the fact most of my team was off building fairy-castles, but with aimbots, fairy-castle-building and nothing but me getting instantaneously headshotted (is that a word?) then walking for 5 minutes, it's getting boring.

Ace of Rifles would be better if you could at least compete when you encountered a rifle. You used to be able to. Now I feel more like a clay pigeon when I log on.
whatd

Postby Varun » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:31 am

I think it's just headshot, as in for past tense. And the thing you have to realize is, smg users often put themselves in danger to spray the enemy. That's the kind of situation a sniper looks for. Sure the semi is accurate, but the smg has a two hit kill with a headshot. And considering its RoF, it is far superior to the rifle at this point. There are only a few certain people who think the s,g can't be used at a range. In this update, the smg can go anywhere a semi can, figuratively speaking.
Varun
{RS} Leader

Location: Burnie, Tasmania, Australia, where I will be in my bed from 0000 to 1300.

Postby ChaosTLW » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:05 am

Varun wrote:I think it's just headshot, as in for past tense. And the thing you have to realize is, smg users often put themselves in danger to spray the enemy. That's the kind of situation a sniper looks for. Sure the semi is accurate, but the smg has a two hit kill with a headshot. And considering its RoF, it is far superior to the rifle at this point. There are only a few certain people who think the s,g can't be used at a range. In this update, the smg can go anywhere a semi can, figuratively speaking.

Yeah, you would be actually surprised at how efficient the SMG is while firing it as if it was semi-automatic. I've found it to be more efficient than bursting, even at medium range.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby OJ010 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:11 am

The rifle needs no nerf at all. If you can aim and shoot properly while rapidly poping up over cover and firing you can kill a rifleman with a shotty at mid range (which I have to do frequently as I like using the shotgun). The rifle isn't pinpoint accurate is slightly inaccurate which really penalizes it. It takes me aiming directly at a persons head 1-5 shots. If your gettting owned by riflemen, then hide in good cover, don't go out into open land unless you're sprinting, strafing and have cover to go too. The shotgun is not broken. You just don't know how to use it. I can kill people from mid-short range easily beat a smg in close range even though they caught me off guard. There is alot of hiding a waiting for an enemy to come in range.
Conclusion: Rifle needs no nerf, Smg might need a small tiny nerf, the shotgun might need more pellets.
OJ010

Postby Bobthemathcow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:10 am

SIMOX wrote:The problem noone ever thinks is that rifle is always accurate. No matter you are running, jumping, etc. It will always hit it's target 100% pin-point. It's perfectly accurate even when not looking through the iron sights.

I assume that rifle is not bolt action so it actually shouldn't be slower. The accuracy should be lowered while running and I think that would solve the problem.

this is a good solution, but i have noticed that the rifle mag (10) is higher than in other games, where it is 4 to 8. what if the mag were slightly smaller?
Bobthemathcow

Postby Varun » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:11 am

Well, its been slowed down now. New update.
Varun
{RS} Leader

Location: Burnie, Tasmania, Australia, where I will be in my bed from 0000 to 1300.

Postby Heath » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:08 am

Fully agree. Most people choose the rifle, because it is most effective weapon in almost all situations - even when there is many enemies ahead. Slow it a little one to return the balance.

HTH
All in all it was, all just a bricks in the wall.
Heath

Postby Colgate » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:01 pm

I don't see how slowing it down will really change it much, you can still easily one shot someone at close range without iron sights, I would consider other alternatives although some may reduce its power too much.
1.a very short delay in-between when the button is clicked and when the rifle fires, (too much of a nerf tbh although would reduce problems with aimbot)
2.The rifle would drift a bit when non scoped.
3.Probably the best option, increase recoil. This would mean that it would take longer for people to shoot although still allowing skilled players to be effective.
CGgrtsARGXGTYGD7I8HOACacvjydsgduacvhjo8bvcXCYUDDSACay6svacyvsu6ac
Colgate

Postby Fluttershy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Increasing the recoil is pretty much the same thing as slowing it down. It only affects you if you miss. Except its worse because it only affects far range shots and still allows close range rifle spray.
Fluttershy

Postby Nicksb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:11 am

At this point at the most, remove the reticle, but I'm still down for not changing it at all. To me, SMG needs the nerf, you guys honestly just need to learn how to use it.
Nicksb

Postby MediumShadow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:43 am

In my opinion everything works just fine except there should be a slight sway to the rifle scope when aiming out,also the shotgun is broken come on I find it aggravating shooting someone twice point blank range and they absorb it like juggernaught then I get killed like my bullets are not registering. (but be honest people am i the only person who feels like god when u get them mid range/long range kills with the shotty?
click the link to check my armory -->>http://goo.gl/gAU4R<<--
HIGHEST KILL STREAK:http://i47.tinypic.com/34rt0nr.jpg
MOST KILLS:245

Med-Shadow or flyingpoptart is my ign
MediumShadow

Postby ClaudeGable » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm surprised about how stubborn rifle users are in this game, I actually thought it's fairly obvious that it's overpowered

the main problem is, as mentioned before, that you're pretty much always granted the opportunity to kill your opponent first at any range (given you see each other at the same time)
actually, you don't just have the opportunity, you even have a huge advantage at high/medium distance
high range obviously because that's simply what the rifle was made for, and medium range because if you want to avoid getting shot in the head right away by a remotely skilled rifle user, you have to move
this point is pretty much what bugs me about the weapon balance the most, rifle users have almost no disadvantage when they move, while the recoil of the smg becomes unbearable if you run around or even just stand, which completely destroys the purpose of the smg, supposedly being a charge/mid range weapon

I don't think the rifle needs to be changed though, I would rather decrease the recoil of the smg while moving and standing

ofc this would still leave out the shotgun, but tbh, I don't even know why it was added in the first place :P AoS is all about distance battle most of the time, you rarely even get the chance to encounter your enemies in close combat.
and even if you do, both rifle and smg are perfectly suitable for that occassion too, so adding a weapon which is entirely about close combat (and completely useless at anything else) in a game where 90% of the people sit in bunkers and shoot at each other with smg/rifle from fog distance feels kind of odd
ClaudeGable

Postby GreaseMonkey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:09 pm

PLEASE, JUST BURY THIS THREAD ALREADY. Here, these links to TVTropes will keep you away from every other website for the next few days, and especially this thread.

IJustSignedUpToPostInThisThreadThatNeedsToDie wrote:I'm surprised about how stubborn rifle users are in this game, I actually thought it's fairly obvious that it's overpowered

Firstly, I'm sick of people bitching about the rifle suddenly becoming all about headshots. For starters, we only had the rifle, and I joined on the very last day that there was only a rifle (0.52). Then the SMG came out (0.54). From memory it was a useless piece of crap only usable for griefing.

SIMOX wrote:It will always hit it's target 100% pin-point. It's perfectly accurate even when not looking through the iron sights.

This is no longer true, as there is a random spread on the rifle.

I really don't like the types of people Ben is trying to attract to this game by nerfing the rifle and buffing the SMG.

Gorman wrote:Keep AoS simple, intuitive, and not based on luck

You know a thread's full of stupid arguments when Gorman is completely right.
You also know I want a thread to die when I start doing silly things like posting links to TVTropes.

Oh that reminds me, I've yet to post an image macro. Here we go!

DrPain wrote:Moreover, it's the people who are using it that are overpowered... actually more like the people getting killed by it are underpowered. Let's face it folks, most of the people in this game are f2p newbs(as opposed to f2p pros?)

^ THIS.

Oh yeah, here are some statistics.

Rifle:
Firing rate: 0.5 sec -> 0.8 sec (former 0.75, latter 0.76.0)
Spread: 0.006 -> 0.003 (lower is better, ideally should be closer to 0 than this)
Damage: [100, 49, 33] -> [200, somethingrather] x DamageFalloff

And I forget what the SMG / Shotgun stats are, if I ever looked at them.

This thread was started on 6 February, 2012. It is now 21 July, 2012. (please don't argue about timezones, the time difference is pretty similar.)

People have signed up just to post in this thread so it won't die.

I'd give my personal summary, but that would just get people to reply to it.
GreaseMonkey
Bastion Member

Postby ClaudeGable » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:34 pm

no idea what your point is
ClaudeGable

Postby Varun » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:49 pm

This thread has basically become obsolete, since the rifle has been slowed down in the new update. So, no real need for a discussion. Please let this thread die, thank you. Don't post a reply to this, and let this thread R.I.P.
Varun
{RS} Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Game