Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Arena spawns

Having problems creating a map? Ask around in here.

Arena spawns

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Sun May 20, 2012 2:40 am

How would i go about making the blocks that get destroyed, letting the poeple out of spawn in arena maps when the match starts?
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Re: Arena spawns

Postby BuffetOfLies » Sun May 20, 2012 1:42 pm

You mean an arena spawn gate. The answer lies within the arena mode script itself.

# READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW BEFORE YOU ASK QUESTIONS

# Arena game mode written by Yourself
# A game of team survival. The last team standing scores a point.

# A map that uses arena needs to be modified to have a starting area for
# each team. A starting area is enclosed and has a gate on it. Each block of a
# gate must have the EXACT same color to work properly. Between each rounds,
# the gate is rebuilt. The gates are destroyed simultaneously at the start of each
# round, releasing the players onto the map. Players are free to switch weapons
# between rounds.

# Spawn locations and gate locations MUST be present in the map metadata (map txt file)
# for arena to work properly.

# Spawn locations for the green team are set by using the data from the 'arena_green_spawn'
# tuple in the extensions dictionary. Likewise, the blue spawn is set with the 'arena_blue_spawn'
# key.

# The locations of gates is also determined in the map metadata. 'arena_gates' is a
# tuple of coordinates in the extension dictionary. Each gate needs only one block
# to be specified (since each gate is made of a uniform color)

# Sample extensions dictionary of an arena map with two gates:
# extensions = {
# 'arena': True,
# 'arena_blue_spawn' : (128, 256, 60),
# 'arena_green_spawn' : (384, 256, 60),
# 'arena_gates': ((192, 236, 59), (320, 245, 60))
# }

Basically you add some lines to the map config extension text file thingy. One set of lines determines where each team spawns. The other is a defined point on your uniquely-colored spawn gate that is blocking access to the rest of the map from the spawn area. Everything that is that color will be destroyed at the beginning of the round, releasing the teams.
BuffetOfLies

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Sun May 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Thank you very much :D
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby BuffetOfLies » Mon May 21, 2012 12:24 pm

You can get the coordinates you need by pointing the cursor at any block in voxed. The three number coords are in tiny white text on the top left of the screen.
BuffetOfLies

Postby FaZe » Mon May 21, 2012 1:31 pm

If I may, I'd suggest making the gates 2 blocks thick and at least 3 blocks high to prevent people from glitching out before the round starts.
FaZe
[DELTA] Leader

Postby Krooper » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:41 am

Btw, on that ground... I've also tried to make an arena server. I did everything the instruction says, and then I ran a localhost server to make sure everything's right. And everything DID work out perfectly, EXCEPT for one thing - the no-building part (not even that, but no-destroying-blocks part actually). I couldn't build, BUT I COULD DESTROY though. I repeat - everything else's fine - gates rebuild when the round starts, each team spawn exactly where supposed, building is toggled off, but I still can destroy. Any suggestions?
(Oh yeah, I thought that maybe the problem is in the fact that the server is local, or that I was playing alone, but I put up a network server and I still could destroy).

[EDIT]: Ah, no, false alarm - happens that the "Map Making Tools" (by Yourself, too, btw) was messing that up. Well, I don't need to use it on an active server anyways (cuz it actually lag the thing A LOT ;). And if you're interested in the script (that caused so much trouble ^_^) - here it is
[click that^^^]
I'M KROOPER!
Krooper

Postby BuffetOfLies » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 pm

That script is old. Enough things have changed that older scripts tend to either not work at all or work in unpredictable ways. C'est la vie.
BuffetOfLies

Postby Krooper » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:01 am

BuffetOfLies wrote:That script is old. Enough things have changed that older scripts tend to either not work at all or work in unpredictable ways. C'est la vie.

it still works though :) and it was really useful to me when I was makin' my map.
[click that^^^]
I'M KROOPER!
Krooper

Return to Mapping Help