Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Preventing Spawnkilling

Got a great new idea for the game?

Preventing Spawnkilling

Postby TheFineLine » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:27 am

Sorry if this post has already been made. Still fairly new, so I have some catching up to do.

Anyways, if you've ever played on a crowded server, you've probably run into a time where you were spawnkilled over and over again. Personally, I don't really mind, but the same isn't true for others. There have been instances were people have tried to votekick me because I was spawnkilling, and I've seen the same happen to many others.

To get to the point, I believe the best way to prevent this is a short period of "invisibility". With about 3 seconds of being invulnerable, you can A) clear the area around you and B) get into a more defended position. I know there may be some problems with this idea, but I think this would be a neat feature in Ace of Spades.
TheFineLine

Re: Preventing Spawnkilling

Postby Tek2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:23 am

3 seconds is HUGE.

So you want an attacker to be doomed when someone spawns near him? Fair right?
Tek2

Postby Lucyan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:34 am

Being able to pick a spawn within an x sq ft area would also do the trick.
Lucyan

Postby BlizzardDUCK » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:18 pm

there isn't going to be a way to stop spawnkilling. When people steal the intel, they need to spawnkill to make a getaway. Last night we crept behind enemy lines to get the intel. We had to spawnkill or otherwise we wouldn't have gotten the intel.
BlizzardDUCK

Postby tunaspirit » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Better idea:
Players get 3 seconds when they spawn, to look around, but they can't shoot or build anything within 3 seconds
[18:33] <+boolface> hey guys imma releqase 0.76 now
[18:34] <+Ethoslab> TheGrandmaster hey do you have any idea when updates gona come
[18:34] <+gen_applejack> now
[18:34] <+gen_applejack> as boolface told us
tunaspirit

Postby lehma18 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:54 pm

there isn't going to be a way to stop spawnkilling. When people steal the intel, they need to spawnkill to make a getaway. Last night we crept behind enemy lines to get the intel. We had to spawnkill or otherwise we wouldn't have gotten the intel.

I wouldn't call that spawnkilling. It's the natural way of capture the flag-style gameplay. Instead, having seven people repeatetly killing people the second they spawn, with no intention of capturing the intel makes me rip my eyes out.
lehma18

Postby TheFineLine » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:24 am

Tek2 wrote:3 seconds is HUGE.

So you want an attacker to be doomed when someone spawns near him? Fair right?

I agree on that. I think tunaspirit's method is the best way to do this. 3 seconds to walk around is definitely better than my idea.
TheFineLine

Postby Cyanyde » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:53 am

I think the best way would be to make the newly spawned player invincible until one of three things happen:

1. They move the mouse, scroll the mousewheel or press a key (w,a,s,d, space, crouch etc..)
2. 3-5 seconds have elapsed
3. There are no enemies in the area

I would also love to be able to choose from different spawn points on the map.. I know this isn't Battlefield, but I really enjoy the spawn system in those games. (most of the time) :P

Anyway, I really do agree that some sort of spawn protection is needed.
Cyanyde

Postby Gorman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:32 am

It would make it practically impossible to capture the intel on a map like assault. After you spawn it takes about 1 second to look around you and a further .6 to hit anyone you see. Give me 3 seconds and I can kill 5 people.

Good luck capping the intel.

I think "press enter to spawn" is the best solution, that way players can spawn together and easily defeat campers.

By the way, as people said, if I need to go in to your spawn, I'm gonna kill you if I see you. People who don't like spawn killing probably don't understand that it is a necessary part of the game.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Ssj4pure33 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:27 am

tunaspirit wrote:Better idea:
Players get 3 seconds when they spawn, to look around, but they can't shoot or build anything within 3 seconds

Or anything except move, they can still be heard, and after the 3 seconds they can't shoot for another 1 - 1.5 seconds but can spade kill during the 1 - 1.5 seconds to block people killing enemy spawnkillers and shooting them right after the 3 seconds.
ARGUING FTW, until I start losing -_-
Ssj4pure33

Postby Garamond » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Gorman wrote:It would make it practically impossible to capture the intel on a map like assault. After you spawn it takes about 1 second to look around you and a further .6 to hit anyone you see. Give me 3 seconds and I can kill 5 people.

Good luck capping the intel.

I think "press enter to spawn" is the best solution, that way players can spawn together and easily defeat campers.

By the way, as people said, if I need to go in to your spawn, I'm gonna kill you if I see you. People who don't like spawn killing probably don't understand that it is a necessary part of the game.

I'm with gorman here. I can cut up entire squads with my SMG and some cover. The best thing to do would be covered spawns at a fixed point on the map instead of territorial control spawning like we have now.
Proud brony. I make weapons skins!
Garamond

Postby Squeal » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:20 pm

How about simply putting the intel ahead of the spawning zone; no more spawnkilling will be needed when taking the intel.
Squeal

Postby TBS » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:02 pm

nooooo!
That's what I hate the most in counter strike!
TBS
Bastion Member

Postby xEric » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:43 am

So you wait 3 seconds to kill someone? cool.
Back
xEric

Postby Stiivais » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:03 am

No, IMO, there shouldn't be a invunerability timer, there only should be a spawn in random position option.
Well, maybe you should automatically respawn at a random position around the base every time.
This would be easy to implement, and would prevent the problem, while keeping things balanced and fair.

So, what do you guys think?
Also: shutting up because i have caused some annoyances lately.
Stiivais

Next

Return to Game