Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

So, you just won the lottery...

Count to 100? Kill/Defend the duck? All forum games belong in here!

Re: So, you just won the lottery...

Postby topologist » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:45 pm

I'd have no idea what to do with all that money, so I'd probably end up giving about half of it away to charities and open source projects. I have a bad habit of being too generous when I have too much.
I'd still have no idea what to do with $50,000,000. Maybe a house of my own, a decent internet connection and a decent computer. A few tutors to teach me as much as I can learn about the things that I'm interested in. Then just the essentials, probably. Having the knowledge that I can probably live the rest of my life without having to worry about money would be pretty neat.

\o/
REDACTED
topologist
[SPQR] Member

Postby MarioCarter » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Put away 33.333333333% in savings, invest, build a computer, better apartment and video games.

I'd also give some away to other people. And of course, appreciate the peace of mind as long as possible :P
I will never be afraid again
I will keep on fighting 'til the end
I can walk on water, I can fly
I will keep on fighting 'til I die
MarioCarter

Postby Pulchritude » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:13 pm

i'd put 26% in savings and invest in some shares of Google. build my own computer, get a stable internet connection, and a better home.

donate some to animal shelters, then i'd keep the rest and be happy because i know i'm gonna do well for the rest of my life.
Cats > dogs
FACT.
Pulchritude
[LDR] Member

Postby danhezee » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:50 pm

I would set aside $5 million for risk averse bond investments. The returns of that would be more than enough to live comfortably if the rest of my plan fails.

The other $95 million would be use to be as disruptive as possible to the current system. There are two separate companies I would form. A news company and a space company.

I am a space advocate, I believe most of the economic problems the world faces right now and well into the future can be solved with investments in a cis-lunar economic system. What is needed is a catalyst. A venture on a grand scale. One such venture would be powersats. a.k.a space based solar power. It might sound crazy to have solar panels in orbit collecting electricity and beaming it back down to earth. But here on some facts, solar panels are about 15% efficient, meaning they only convert 15% to light to electricity. To do anything meaning you need to build a lot of them, that takes of a lot of space that could be used for something else. On the surface of the earth half of the year you wont be generating any electricity because of the night. We can easily convert 85% of microwaves to electricity. In the right orbit a powersat could generate electricity until the sun explodes. We already generate power for sats in orbit and beam information down to earth. The technology is there, it just needs to be scaled up.

Speaking of scale, the more powersats you produce the more flights to orbit are needed. Which would lower the cost per flight to orbit. Economies of Scale. It would allow for more space ventures to happen, which in turn would lower the cost per flight.

$95 million isnt enough to go into full fledged powersat production, but $50 - $75 million I believe is more than enough to demonstrate a powersat and use that demo as the seed for more financing. That is where the risk is, I could build a fully functional demo and not be able to secure more money.

On to the news venture. I can't stand the media. They go out of your way to distract you with useless stories about celebrities and general fluff. Chances are if you live in a country without state controlled news, you are getting your news from one of six conglomerates. Meaning no one country is better informed than the other. Just to be clear state controlled media sucks too.

Here in the usa, our news media is focused on division. "Come be part of group A we have the answers. Group B duck'em they are destroying everything". Or you could look at like it is a scooby-do mystery. "Group A would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for that pesky group B". There are people that benefit greatly from this division. They benefit from the celebrity focused fluff that gets reported. These people pay for the advertising. The biggest source of compromise is pleasing the advertisers. The news media treads carefully when there is a story about one of the advertisers including politicians, it is estimated Obama raised over a billion dollars and you can assume Mitt did too. That money goes straight into the media coffers.

I want to build a news organization that is free from the advertising compromise that doesn't focus on the group A or group B meme that is propagated throughout the other media outlets. Also, I want to be able to easily follow the sources of the content from which the report came from. I want to know what poison in the bills about to be passed. I want to know who all the candidates are on a ballet. I want to know what they stand for and their background.

I believe building a news organization that allows users to quickly track down sources allows for transparency. Which leads to trust. We wouldnt be able to bullshit like the current news media does. We would free ourselves from compromise by not advertising but instead allowing users to subscript for a monthly fee. I would invest the reminder of the $95 after the powersat demo to build this news company
danhezee
Site Admin

Postby Found » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:03 pm

I would pay Ultrasonic (Alpha) 100million to stay at G3N.

P.S. G3N disbaned. Why!!!
Found

Postby MarioCarter » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Just because you win 100 million pieces of paper doesn't mean you will lead a successful life. You use this money to EARN a successful life.
MarioCarter

Postby Valor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Bribe Obama to pass a law that prevents people from viewing MLP or Anime.
Ace of Spade's resident Gay bar architect.

Valor
Bastion Warden

Postby MarioCarter » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Well, that's nice, Mr. Hater. Please tell me more about how you have never watched MLP.
MarioCarter

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:56 pm

I would probably buy a new computer, then invest.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby XxsnipahxX » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:32 pm

I would buy NASA`s computer. So I get to play NFS world without lag or crashing, and other games, like BF3, I can also use it to make my own company for making video games.
want a sig like mines?Click here^^
Stats:
IGN:[DELTA]snipe
favorite weapon(s): SMG and rifle
favorite server: Last Team standing,Shams Little Pony, and Minit US
When I die, bury me face down so the world can kiss my ass.
XxsnipahxX
[DELTA] Member

Postby Found » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:34 pm

XxsnipahxX wrote:I would buy NASA`s computer. So I get to play NFS world without lag or crashing, and other games, like BF3, I can also use it to make my own company for making video games.

What your name on NFS World? Mines LEMONFOUND
Found

Postby OnkelDolan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:49 pm

I would move to spain. I would buy one of those cheesy shirts with a flag on it, but have the flag of Finland on it. I would buy a fine house and I would on daily walks go to spanish beggars and wave my cash in front of them, I would act generous, to them, saying: Hey have this cash, buy yourself some Liquor. As I am giving it to him, I snatch it back into my pocket before he can grasp it, then I will walk laughing
IGN: RisunEtsijä

I am the AoS Finnish ambassador

http://www.youtube.com/comment?lc=fKB3Q ... gvIXqEV66o
OnkelDolan

Postby OnkelDolan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Valor wrote:Bribe Obama to pass a law that prevents people from viewing MLP or Anime.

This
IGN: RisunEtsijä

I am the AoS Finnish ambassador

http://www.youtube.com/comment?lc=fKB3Q ... gvIXqEV66o
OnkelDolan

Postby ChaosTLW » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:36 pm

danhezee wrote:I would set aside $5 million for risk averse bond investments. The returns of that would be more than enough to live comfortably if the rest of my plan fails.

The other $95 million would be use to be as disruptive as possible to the current system. There are two separate companies I would form. A news company and a space company.

I am a space advocate, I believe most of the economic problems the world faces right now and well into the future can be solved with investments in a cis-lunar economic system. What is needed is a catalyst. A venture on a grand scale. One such venture would be powersats. a.k.a space based solar power. It might sound crazy to have solar panels in orbit collecting electricity and beaming it back down to earth. But here on some facts, solar panels are about 15% efficient, meaning they only convert 15% to light to electricity. To do anything meaning you need to build a lot of them, that takes of a lot of space that could be used for something else. On the surface of the earth half of the year you wont be generating any electricity because of the night. We can easily convert 85% of microwaves to electricity. In the right orbit a powersat could generate electricity until the sun explodes. We already generate power for sats in orbit and beam information down to earth. The technology is there, it just needs to be scaled up.

Speaking of scale, the more powersats you produce the more flights to orbit are needed. Which would lower the cost per flight to orbit. Economies of Scale. It would allow for more space ventures to happen, which in turn would lower the cost per flight.

$95 million isnt enough to go into full fledged powersat production, but $50 - $75 million I believe is more than enough to demonstrate a powersat and use that demo as the seed for more financing. That is where the risk is, I could build a fully functional demo and not be able to secure more money.

On to the news venture. I can't stand the media. They go out of your way to distract you with useless stories about celebrities and general fluff. Chances are if you live in a country without state controlled news, you are getting your news from one of six conglomerates. Meaning no one country is better informed than the other. Just to be clear state controlled media sucks too.

Here in the usa, our news media is focused on division. "Come be part of group A we have the answers. Group B duck'em they are destroying everything". Or you could look at like it is a scooby-do mystery. "Group A would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for that pesky group B". There are people that benefit greatly from this division. They benefit from the celebrity focused fluff that gets reported. These people pay for the advertising. The biggest source of compromise is pleasing the advertisers. The news media treads carefully when there is a story about one of the advertisers including politicians, it is estimate Obama raised over a billion dollars and you can assume Mitt did too. That money goes straight into the media coffers.

I want to build a news organization that is free from the advertising compromise that doesn't focus on the group A or group B meme that is propagated throughout the other media outlets. Also, I want to be able to easily follow the sources of the content from which the report came from. I want to know what poison in the bills about to be passed. I want to know who all the candidates are on a ballet. I want to know what they stand for and their background.

I believe building a news organization that allows users to quickly track down sources allows for transparency. Which leads to trust. We wouldnt be able to bullshit like the current news media does. We would free ourselves from compromise by not advertising but instead allowing users to subscript for a monthly fee. I would invest the reminder of the $95 after the powersat demo to build this news company

Your plan is genius compared to my plan to create a country and kill Justin Bieber. I feel kinda dumb now.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby Eagle7 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:27 am

I would use it to make MLP the ONLY TV show in the whole WORLD.

No more TV for all the haters.
Wanna listen to this pony's music? Right here!
Eagle7

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Games