Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Black holes & "White Holes"

Off-topic stuff!

Black holes & "White Holes"

Postby MarioCarter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:20 am

Black holes are supposedly invisible because light does not deflect off of it, rather being sucked into it. Black holes, in theory, are the only known way to "travel back in time" but they cannot be survived. If there was a way to survive a black hole, anyway, what would happen if you tried to go out the other end? Yes, you'd have theoretically traveled back in time, but you're stuck being thrown around faster than the speed of light, backing between the future and the past.

There are more theories about black holes, about HOW you would have died. Fried, cut, destroyed piece by piece. Even theoretical WHITE HOLES! Post what you think would happen!
Last edited by MarioCarter on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will never be afraid again
I will keep on fighting 'til the end
I can walk on water, I can fly
I will keep on fighting 'til I die
MarioCarter

Re: Black holes

Postby ChaosTLW » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:23 am

You would probably be destroyed by having every single atom of your body smashed.

You have also to take into account the theorical White Holes, that instead of sucking matter, dump matter, presumibly the one a black hole on the other end swallowed.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby MarioCarter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 am

Okay, I'll add that to the title. Thanks for the suggestion.
I will never be afraid again
I will keep on fighting 'til the end
I can walk on water, I can fly
I will keep on fighting 'til I die
MarioCarter

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:44 am

OP does not know much about black holes...

I have been fascinated by black holes because of this tiny little snipit of information on them right here: They are infinitely small and infinitely strong. The first moment a black hole is formed, its gravity increases again as a result of its shrinking of size, causing its gravity to increase, causing it to collapse on it's self, causing its gravity to increase, causing it to collapse... etc.

Also, black holes are, in fact, visually noticeable. Since they suck in light, light bends inwards to them and it looks like things are being sucked into them though they are not. once this light hits the event horizon (the area where NOTHING in the universe can escape the gravity) the light is no longer visible, and there is a black spot over the background behind the black hole.

And: since the gravity is infinitely strong, this causes time to stop past the event horizon, since time is relative and related to gravity.

One last thing, black holes are still not proven to be exist. Until astronomers can capture a picture of Sagittarius A*'s event horizon (the nearest black hole at the center of the Milky Way), there is no actual proof that they are there. The picture will have to be extremely high quality and done through a complex system of satellite-linking that makes the entire planet act as a satellite dish. Then they have to transfer the radiation signals into color. But even that is more complicated then it sounds because all the satellite dishes have to be in extremely dry atmospheric conditions to not block out the radiation of Sagittarius A*'s radiation. Until then, we only have the evidence of large solar bodies orbiting near Sagittarius A* at massive speeds that could only be explained by the validation of black holes, but we don't really know what it was causing that until we get that proof.
Last edited by ThisFrickinSite on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby ChaosTLW » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:02 am

ThisFrickinSite wrote:And: since the gravity is infinitely strong, this causes time to stop past the event horizon, since time is relative and related to gravity.

Well, if I'm not mistaken there is a limit to where this can go. Last time I read the one in the center of the Milky Way was some 50km in diameter. However I could have mistaken the Event Horizon with the actual size of the black hole so if I'm wrong please correct me.

Also, don't you mean Astronomers? =p
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:40 am

ChaosTLW wrote:
ThisFrickinSite wrote:And: since the gravity is infinitely strong, this causes time to stop past the event horizon, since time is relative and related to gravity.

Well, if I'm not mistaken there is a limit to where this can go. Last time I read the one in the center of the Milky Way was some 50km in diameter. However I could have mistaken the Event Horizon with the actual size of the black hole so if I'm wrong please correct me.

It may, I really don't know that one.

ChaosTLW wrote:Also, don't you mean Astronomers? =p

Auto-correct when i'm too lazy to go back and fix it. ._.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Re: Black holes & "White Holes"

Postby Moghard » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Why do you always wonder how to travel in time?
It's impossible, because time is not saved, that means you can't load it like a save in games. You can't teleport to Stone Age or to Medieval Battles, because they doesn't exist anymore.

That's what i think. I believe it's the truth.
Moghard

Location: In a dimension, where i live with other mighty Dwarves and eat lots of kaymak.

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:27 pm

^well traveling past the speed of light, though it is impossible, could yield unfathomable results. No body really knows what happens to matter at that point, but some super geniuses think that it may be related to time travel.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby HoboHob » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Here is the simplified theory my brother told me:
At the speed of light, time stops. Light does not know time. Time does not affect light.
So theoretically. If one where to go faster than the speed of light. Time would reverse itself.

Now someone in this thread has mentioned that time does not save itself. I believe this to be wrong. I think time is like a book. And everyday a new chapter is written.

You know, black holes are amazing. But what I find cool, is that some scientists think that black holes could be manipulated into wormholes. So we could travel around the universe at crazy amounts of speed without having to go faster than the speed of light.
HoboHob

Postby Varun » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 pm

The key words here are "Think" and "Theory" and "Theoretical"
Varun
{RS} Leader

Location: Burnie, Tasmania, Australia, where I will be in my bed from 0000 to 1300.

Postby ChaosTLW » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:55 pm

In theory time travel when moving at speeds above light's speed is what we should expect, but to reach it would be impossible. Even if we were to do it, we would break the universe itself, because at the moment we go to the past it starts to get in a loop: The world continues until the moment you entered the time machine, but then it would re-boot and go back all the way, and do this again and again, and the only way to avoid it would be to go back in time until it is not possible anymore. That is at least the way I managed to understand the subject.

Varun wrote:The key words here are "Think" and "Theory" and "Theoretical"

And those key words also apply to 70% of all Science. Even because a theory in science is basically an Hypotheses with a massive amount of evidence and that hasn't been disproved since it's inception. That's why we say Theory of Relativity or Theory of Evolution.
Also, there is a difference between Theory and Law. They are not in an hierarchy. The Law explains what something is e.g the Law of Gravity says: Unless there is a force moving in the opposite direction, everything will be attracted to everything, with force depending on the distance and mass and other shit. the Theory explains WHY and HOW. An analogy: For an example, when an human body falls a long way down, it dies. That would be the Law: Humans who fall a long distance will suffer death, unless there is something slowing it down to make the fall bearable. The Theory for that would explain WHY they die. For an example: Humans who fall a long distance die because of x and y and z.
#1 most active member

ChaosTLW

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Fun fact: when you go past the speed of light, you start to hit light coming from both in front of you and behind you, causing your field of view to expand to massively.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby Defaulter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:24 pm

ThisFrickinSite wrote:^well traveling past the speed of light, though it is impossible, could yield unfathomable results. No body really knows what happens to matter at that point, but some super geniuses think that it may be related to time travel.

I know what happens.

If an object of mass travels at the speed of light it is transmuted into pure energy. The total mass energy is broken down from the object. This is explained with the equation E=mc2

E=mc2 = Energy of an object is it's mass times the speed of light squared

Energy and mass are related directly through passing the speed of light.

How does this relate to time travel?

Well converting a black hole into a wormhole can be done, but it takes an amount of energy that is almost unimaginable to the human race. You would need to harvest the energy of the stars themselves. BUT energy converted via transmution via light speed contains HUGE amounts of potential energy. In fact iirc a few tons of matter travelling faster then the speed of light would create enough raw energy to rip a hole in space-time (i.e a wormhole)

Just be careful with the calibration.....
Defaulter
Bastion Warden

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Defaulter wrote:
ThisFrickinSite wrote:^well traveling past the speed of light, though it is impossible, could yield unfathomable results. No body really knows what happens to matter at that point, but some super geniuses think that it may be related to time travel.

I know what happens.

If an object of mass travels at the speed of light it is transmuted into pure energy. The total mass energy is broken down from the object. This is explained with the equation E=mc2

E=mc2 = Energy of an object is it's mass times the speed of light squared

Energy and mass are related directly through passing the speed of light.

please be joking.

You went wrong at
Defaulter wrote:If an object of mass travels at the speed of light

No object can go past the speed of light. Breaks physics, No matter can pass the speed of light.

another wrong turn at
Defaulter wrote:it is transmuted into pure energy

This is not equivalent exchange... This also breaks physics. There is a finite amount of matter and a finite amount of energy in the universe.

Yet another wrong turn at
Defaulter wrote:E=mc2 = Energy of an object is it's mass times the speed of light squared

E for energy, m for Mass, c for Capacity. This equation does have it's flaws though.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby TheSifodias » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:39 pm

Actually, @Site, it is possible that matter can be turned into energy. Scientists have discovered that all matter is theorized to be part actual matter, and part energy in the form of a wave. Once the object gets to the size of an electron, its starts to simulate aspects of waves and energy, such as diffraction, reflection, and other characteristics. Even light itself, which is thought to be the universal term of most known energy, is a photon, a part wave. Otherwise E=mc^2 wouldn't make any sense.
So logically, it can be hypothesized that once a piece of matter gets small enough, it will turn into wave energy. And that's the basis of many new theories such as string theory.
Also, the universe is commonly believed to have originated from the Big Bang, correct? Well, there was no matter from before the Big Bang, just energy. So if matter was believed to be created through energy, shouldn't the process be able to reverse. While it would take a lot of energy, the feat may be possible through high bursts of such energy, such as in supernovas and black holes.

@DE: Wouldn't you have to create another black hole and convert both to wormholes?
A leader, a sniper, a creator...
an admin, and a loyal clan member of USAB.

TheSifodias
[USAB] Member

Next

Return to The Lounge