Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Aloha servers

Show others what your server is about.

Aloha servers

Postby PXYC » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:35 am

If you want to join a relaxed server with some serious gameplay and the best variation of maps and gamemodes, come and play on aloha with us! Owned and hosted by izzy and administrated by some trusted community members, aloha is one of the friendliest servers on Ace of Spades. As of now, there are 10 different aloha servers, each with their own unique gamemode and map rotation. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them at aloha.pk on the forums. There are no airstrikes in any of the aloha servers, and the only one with squads is zombies.

Note: all servers are hosted on a dedicated dual quad core Xeon 2.5GHz 8GB RAM in Las Vegas, NV, USA for a lag-free experience.

===============Aloha Arena - Last Team Standing===============

Arena is a new gamemode by Yourself, and wow, is this mode amazing. You spawn in a little gate with your teammates, and after 30 seconds of freely changing weapons, the cage collapses, and you're off to defeat the other team. After there are only a couple of people left, things really get heated up. The last team standing wins, and gets a point for their team. This mode can encourage people forming 'squads' (not the script) and going in groups to increase their chances of winning. If you're looking for some action-packed gameplay, come on down.

Note: We don't have too many maps in the rotation due to them having to be customized for cages before being put in the rotation.

===============Aloha CTF===============

Aloha CTF is a newer server, but it has great potential. We have tried to keep it almost completely vanilla, while still using pyspades for administrative purposes and the general convenience of commands. There are no airstrikes, no squads, none of those gameplay-reducing scripts that we all know. Aloha CTF has a bunch of great maps in the rotation, including a handful of genmaps, Harbor2, Remus, and plenty more. If you're looking for a nice, classic CTF match with friendly players, here is the place to go.

===============Hallway===============

Aloha hallway is probably one of the most popular aloha servers out there. The game mode is R1CTF, which means you have to take the only intel (there is only one battled for by both teams) back to the enemy's base, making gameplay more challenging. We only have one map in the rotation and that is hallway. The server is always hallway, every minute of every day. The map resets every 30 hours, so it can't get completely destroyed before the reset. Hallway is a great map for tunneling, as well as spawncamping (whether you like it or not, it's going to happen on any server). You can always find regular players here and make some new friends.

===============Pinpoint===============

Aloha pinpoint is probably the second most popular aloha server because of the one and only map on this server, pinpoint by izzy, as well as the one of a kind gamemode, 1CTF, where you take the only intel back to your base to capture it. You will always find action packed gameplay, fort building, and chatting between players going on here. You will often see the regulars that keep coming back again for more fun. The only map for this server is pinpoint, and there really is no time limit. Unless an admin resets it, the map will not get reset.

===============Tower of Babel===============

Aloha babel is a new addition to the aloha servers. The game mode is a bit different than your classic CTF, but not by much. There is a huge floating platform in the center of the map with both intels on it, and the teams have to make a tower to get up to the intel to steal it (The gamemode is 1CTF). But watch out, because the enemy can grief your tower, and you can grief theirs. This game mode (Babel by Yourself) combines defense and offense with strategy and teamwork. Without any of these elements, you will fail to succeed in grabbing the enemy's intel. If you find yourself in a game where your team has an amazing tower, or you just have another amazing screenshot of gameplay in the server, post it here. The map changes on win (once you reach the caplimit), so if you don't like the map, work hard and capture the intel!

Map Rotation: blam, newfort, pyspades random gen, stadium

===============TOW===============

This server runs the game mode Tug of War by Ace. Tug of War is like Territory Control, but you have to capture the coordinates in order from closest to your base to the other team's base to dominate over the other team, so it isn't exactly TOW, and it is a great change from the usual CTF if that is what you usually play. The map on this server changes every 8 hours or 10 wins, whichever comes first.

Map rotation:
"4rivers", "binladencompoundv7", "burbs", "castlesandshit", "cemetery", "citadel", "gen41", "gen38", "holes", "irongrass", "league", "makewar", "metropolis", "normandie", "PAdesert", "pvw", "random", "random", "remus", "rivervalley", "siberia", "trenches", "urbantankfightfinal", "waterfrontv2"
===============Zombies===============

Aloha Zombies server is probably the most unique aloha server. Running the zombies script by Dany0, you can choose to be a zombie with a metal spade, or a human that can use guns. Zombies can only use the spade unless they capture the human intel, which grants them one life of gun usage against a zombie. Zombies have the equivalent of 650 HP, so they don't die easy, you have to work. Humans have the ability to spend kills to build instant structures such as bridges, bunkers, and sniper towers. The cap limit on zombies is 3, and the map will change after 6 hours or 3 wins, whichever comes first. Zombies are the only server with squads, but no airstrikes are enabled. The maps on this server are darkfort1, pegs, pinnacle2, points, and ravenloft.

*For the most up to date info, check out http://aloha.pk/index.php?topic=200.0

===============Status Server Pages===============

Each aloha server has a status page where you can see the map overview, player count, map information and more. Here are the pages for each of the aloha servers:

Zombies
Tug of War
Babel
Pinpoint
Hallway
Arena
Capture The Flag
Free For All
Intel RPG
Classicgen
Infiltration
===============People who can help===============

You can find a list of admins, moderators, and guards here. The list will be updated as more admins are appointed.

===============Server guidelines===============

Aloha is a laid back server, so we don't have rules as such, but we do have some basic guidelines to keep you out of trouble when playing.

-No cheating
-No griefing your own team's structures
-No spamming/advertising
-Try not to use capslock only 100% of the time
-Excessive vulgarity is frowned upon
Golden Rule:
Have fun!
Remember, if you have any questions, you can ask at this QuakeNet channel at any time.
Last edited by PXYC on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 11 times in total.

<+laserlamp> lil b is my fav
PXYC
Local Mod

Re: Aloha servers

Postby Hotketchup » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:39 am

+1
Hotketchup

Postby izzy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:51 am

yeah, rules suck! chances are you're more than welcome to play with us, we just ask that you be cool and engage in the gameplay rather than constantly screw around. :)

thanks for writing up this detailed post, PXYC.
izzy
Site Admin

Postby CalenLoki » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Some feedback for two best servers: Babel and TOW

I'll start with babel: I really like how you reduced protection zone size. I'd play it all the time, but somehow 90% of the time blues are just too weak to play against (and I won't join that inferior race). Only thing I don't like about it is stadium map - only non-building tactic available is go around and spawncamp... If you really want to use flat map, make 100% flat, eventually some kind of GH Assault or pinpoint.

Now TOW, that used to be my fav server for long long time - I returned there from babel today (because blues sucked too much) and I discovered ZOC.... It's just awful. I can't build trenches around my tent, I can't start tunnels there, I can't intercept enemy diggers, I can't build bunkers (because single misplaced block can make whole building useless). Your stupid teammates (or less often enemy) can block access to tent. What more, it nerf SMG and shotty, because you can't use their main advantage - jackhammering enemy shitty paper thin cover. It's there to fix issue with inability to dig trenches or what?
ZOC is great for babel, because of building nature of that mode, but for TOW it's just useless - I've never encountered too much griefing there, so it destroy building aspect of the game without fixing nearly anything.
>>>EDIT. My mistake - there was sometimes bridge griefing on random maps, but a: they usually were outside of any ZOC and b: it was greiefing only when we were winning - demolishing bridges to stop enemy offensive is valid tactic.
I'll find some other server while this one is broken...
In pace leones, in bello cervi
CalenLoki

Postby izzy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am

what do you think should change to make the TOW server better?

i think ZOC would be more fun with lengthy rounds in classic style CTF.
izzy
Site Admin

Postby CalenLoki » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Simply romove ZOC - it just doesn't work there. Neither now nor without it anyone build any tall structures around the tents, but there was hell a lot of tunnels, trenches and dug-in bunkers. Now they're gone.

CTF... hmm... it might allow creation of some really awesome forts at bases, but on the other hand you wouldn't be able to intercept enemy diggers, so stealing intel would be even easier.
I'd rather try some kind of limiting how much you can destroy in ZOC. So digging is still available, but only if you contribute somehow to your team. (http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2632)

And sorry for a bit raging nature of previous post, now that I read it it sound a bit aggresive.
CalenLoki

Postby izzy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:54 pm

ZOC can be removed from TOW, we're just testing it to see how it plays out. i agree it isn't working well with TOW by current design, i'd still like to see it more in action with CTF though because it seemed to play better when we briefly tried it that way before.

Triplefox is still developing ZOC, so maybe it will be better for TOW later when he implements more features, such as a more complex point system.

the question now is does the server stay as TOW without ZOC or does it change to CTF with ZOC? we're already coming up with a map list for CTF: http://aloha.pk/index.php?topic=247.0
izzy
Site Admin

Postby CalenLoki » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Keep it TOW please! We have 100s of CTI servers, and only one TOW.
CalenLoki

Postby Monsteri » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:54 pm

I agree all the way with CalenLoki, TOW is pretty much only thing which still keeps me playing.
Monsteri

Postby izzy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:49 am

TOW it is. ZOC has been disabled for now.

current map list for TOW: "4rivers", "binladencompoundv7", "burbs", "castlesandshit", "cemetery", "citadel", "gen41", "gen38", "holes", "irongrass", "league", "makewar", "metropolis", "normandie", "PAdesert", "pvw", "random", "random", "remus", "rivervalley", "siberia", "trenches", "urbantankfightfinal", "waterfrontv2"
izzy
Site Admin

Postby PXYC » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:15 am

izzy wrote:TOW it is. ZOC has been disabled for now.

current map list for TOW: "4rivers", "binladencompoundv7", "burbs", "castlesandshit", "cemetery", "citadel", "gen41", "gen38", "holes", "irongrass", "league", "makewar", "metropolis", "normandie", "PAdesert", "pvw", "random", "random", "remus", "rivervalley", "siberia", "trenches", "urbantankfightfinal", "waterfrontv2"

Updated OP.

PXYC
Local Mod

Postby Danqazmlp » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Registered just to give these suggestions for the TOW server:

1. Not sure if it already has this, but some form of Afk time limit. As an extra 2 people can quickly change the game, having 2 afk people is incredibly annoying. I'd go as far to say have this lower than other servers have, maybe 2-3 minutes instead of 5.

2. If possible, stop tents from being spawned on top of tall trees on some maps. It makes them incredibly hard to capture as you either have to take down the trees (usually in clusters which is hard) or climb them, which is not easily done on this server. It usually gives one team an incredibly large advantage.

3. Would it be possible for the map to change every 4-5 wins instead of 10? The maps can get rather tiresome after too long.
Danqazmlp

Postby CalenLoki » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:11 am

I have to disagree about 3 - I like when map is really war-torn with many player-made changes and battle destruction.

Now my opinion about one of the map: "metropolis". I have nothing against urban warfare, but because it's minecraft port, some stairs require you to crouch to climb, which is very annoying. Also when tents spawn across south lake, it creates borring water-sniping gameplay. And I nearly got kicked there for pwning enemy too much :/
CalenLoki

Postby Danqazmlp » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:25 am

True #3 does lead to less destroyed battlegrounds, but sometimes maps can really drag on with 10 rounds. Maybe 7 would be a better compromise than 5.
Danqazmlp

Postby PXYC » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:17 pm

I think that it could be lowered a little bit. People rarely capture areas anyway, they pretty much think Ace of Spades is a TDM-only game, which slows it down even more.

PXYC
Local Mod

Next

Return to Server advertising