Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Arena Game Mode

Finished a script? Pop it in here.

Arena Game Mode

Postby Yourself » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:15 am

READ THE COMMENTS IN THE SCRIPT FOR INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. YES, YOU WILL ACTUALLY NEED TO DO SOME WORK FOR THIS SCRIPT TO WORK.

Update July 10, 2012:
The arena script has been updated to flash the team color at the end of the round. Also, an option has been added to allow multiple spawning locations for each team. The comments in the script have been changed to reflect the new options. See the example in the script comments to learn how this works.

Some bugs have been fixed. If the players escape the spawn somehow they will be teleported back. Fixed a bug where points weren't awarded on a game that ends at the time limit.

Code: Select all
# The spawn location/s for the green team are set by using the data from the 'arena_green_spawns'
# tuple in the extensions dictionary. Likewise, the blue spawn/s is set with the 'arena_blue_spawns'
# key. 'arena_green_spawns' and 'arena_blue_spawns' are tuples which contain tuples of spawn
# coordinates. Spawn locations are chosen randomly.

# NOTE THAT THE SCRIPT RETAINS BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY with the old 'arena_green_spawn' and
# 'arena_blue_spawn'

Code: Select all
# Sample extensions dictionary of an arena map with two gates:
# In this example there is one spawn location for blue and two spawn locations for green.
# extensions = {
#     'arena': True,
#     'arena_blue_spawns' : ((128, 256, 60),),
#     'arena_green_spawns' : ((384, 256, 60), (123, 423, 51)),
#     'arena_gates': ((192, 236, 59), (320, 245, 60))
# }

Tip: use the /coord (and then hit a block with the spade) and /where admin commands to help you get block locations when setting up the script (you can temporarily set ALWAYS_ENABLED to False to turn off arena mode so that you can use /coord)

Download: https://raw.github.com/matpow2/pyspades ... r/arena.py

Arena is a game of team survival. The last team standing while playing in arena mode gets a point (counted using intel captures). When you die in arena mode you will not re-spawn until the round ends. A round ends when all the players on one team are killed. Then, 15 seconds elapses (default) in which the players are contained in a spawn zone and can freely change weapons. After the 15 seconds, the gates of the spawn zones are destroyed, releasing the players into the map.

Making the gates in-game
The Ace of Spades client automatically varies the colors of blocks slightly when they are placed. However, since pyspades does not have this "feature," you can use this workaround to get gates of a uniform color without having to recolor the blocks in voxed or the pyspades map editor.
  • Start up your server and build the gates in the client like usual.
  • Disconnect from the server
  • Reconnect to your server
  • Save the map using the F1 key
  • Go to your Ace of Spades installation folder (usually C:\Ace of Spades) and in the vxl directory the lastsav.vxl file will be your map.
Last edited by Yourself on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.
Yourself

Re: Arena Game Mode

Postby PXYC » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:24 am

That's amazing like usual, Yourself. Keep it up!

<+laserlamp> lil b is my fav
PXYC
Local Mod

Postby LASTofS » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:52 am

I plan on running this on my server for a while.
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby SeriousSimFR » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:59 am

This game mode sounds great, with the spectator cam it may be awesome. Can't wait to try this !

(somebody should host this)
****Image<- Click ! ->Image
Yet Another AoS MAP : DECK 17****EPIC UNREAL TOURNAMENT SKIN PACK
Image-------------------------Image
SeriousSimFR

Postby XoRNess » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:06 pm

That's sound great!
But how to use it ?
Only add to script. like: ratio?
pls help
XoRNess

Postby XoRNess » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:09 pm

can you guys tell me how to add this script to the server? I've tried it but didn't work. Can you tell me how to install it step-by-step?
XoRNess

Postby BuffetOfLies » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:48 pm

XoRNess wrote:can you guys tell me how to add this script to the server? I've tried it but didn't work. Can you tell me how to install it step-by-step?

First off. You should be using pyspades server and not the one that comes with AoS.

2. Download the script and place it in the Scripts folder in the pyspades folder, usually it's called "dist".

3. Edit your config.txt file and add the scriptname to the scripts section in there.

If you did everything correctly it should now load that script when you run the server.
BuffetOfLies

Postby Dany0 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:11 pm

Holy... oh my, wow. Na well, I guess I could try remaking rust for this.
Dany0

Postby XoRNess » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:38 pm

But it isn't working, it said I must have got a special map. Can somebody do a special map for me, and send me that and the txt file for this?
please
XoRNess

Postby XoRNess » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Some script need for this, or it's incompatible to some script? It's working for somebody?
XoRNess

Postby Yourself » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:13 pm

I just fixed a pretty serious bug where the gates would not be destroyed. If you tried the script before and you couldn't get the gates to fall down properly, please update your script now and try it out again :)
I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.
Yourself

Postby Tank » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:33 am

This is by far the best custom game mode I've seen so far. I was having a lot of fun regardless of the problems I've been having with 0.75, I'd recommend this to everyone. Well done!

Tank
Site Admin

Postby BuffetOfLies » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:08 am

Really nice job. Love Serious_Sim's map with this. My only gripe would be that it would be nice to have a signal at the end of the round. Sort of like when you capture the final intel in a CTF round... and perhaps a cool off period at the end of the round. Just a five second pause at end of round, with the end of round horn signal from CTF to make it less abrupt.
BuffetOfLies

Postby Dany0 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:34 pm

I made max intel cap to 1. But there's no sound at the end of the round, and countdown is doubled. http://j.mp/Aofz2r

Suggestion:
you get 5 damage per second for staying within 10 blocks of your spawn.
Dany0

Postby Fluttershy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:12 pm

is the inability to destroy/build a part of the script, or just something that the aloha server hosting this is doing?
Fluttershy

Next

Return to Script releases