Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Improving Connections and Lag

Problem getting your server up? Ask in here.

Improving Connections and Lag

Postby Sneakers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:08 am

I started a server for the first time today, and I'm learning the ropes of maintaining the server. I had a few connection issues, and I am hoping that somebody here can help.

1. Every 10 minutes (and exactly 10 minutes) 1-8 people would be randomly kicked according to the logs. This is not a lag issue since I even got kicked about 15 minutes after entering. I have the afk script enabled with a 10 minute timer, but everyone was moving around as far as I could tell. Network utilization jumps a little when this happens, but not a lot. Has anybody seen this issue before? Could this be related to the UDP port timeout?

2. Lag is bad. With 22 people in the server, ping with the master server was around 200-220 ms. With nobody in it, ping was about 80 ms. I probably should cap the player number at about 16. What else can I do to reduce lag? Can I eliminate some of the scripts or run a vanilla server instead? Do smaller maps help? I am using my own computer, and CPU usage and memory are not problems. I have a 12 mbps download and a 6 mbps upload connection, and the normal connection load seems to be about 1 mbps with 15 people on. I wasn't using the connection for anything else.

I am running the latest pyspades server with these scripts:

"welcome",
"rollback",
"trusted",
"autohelp",
"protect",
"map_extensions",
"airstrike",
"squad",
"daycycle",
"antijerk",
"afkkicker",
"savemap"
Sneakers

Re: Improving Connections and Lag

Postby SLoW » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:04 am

Sneakers wrote:I started a server for the first time today, and I'm learning the ropes of maintaining the server. I had a few connection issues, and I am hoping that somebody here can help.

1. Every 10 minutes (and exactly 10 minutes) 1-8 people would be randomly kicked according to the logs. This is not a lag issue since I even got kicked about 15 minutes after entering. I have the afk script enabled with a 10 minute timer, but everyone was moving around as far as I could tell. Network utilization jumps a little when this happens, but not a lot. Has anybody seen this issue before? Could this be related to the UDP port timeout?

2. Lag is bad. With 22 people in the server, ping with the master server was around 200-220 ms. With nobody in it, ping was about 80 ms. I probably should cap the player number at about 16. What else can I do to reduce lag? Can I eliminate some of the scripts or run a vanilla server instead? Do smaller maps help? I am using my own computer, and CPU usage and memory are not problems. I have a 12 mbps download and a 6 mbps upload connection, and the normal connection load seems to be about 1 mbps with 15 people on. I wasn't using the connection for anything else.

I am running the latest pyspades server with these scripts:

"welcome",
"rollback",
"trusted",
"autohelp",
"protect",
"map_extensions",
"airstrike",
"squad",
"daycycle",
"antijerk",
"afkkicker",
"savemap"

What kind of internet connection does the server have?
SLoW
Global Moderator

Postby Sneakers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:26 am

It's U-verse, so it's broadband. I just tested it using speedtest.net. I have a 11.86 mbps download speed and a 1.25 mbps upload speed (a lot less than I thought). The upload speed might be the main problem.
Sneakers

Postby HollidaySpessa » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:36 am

With 1.25 up, you should only have 15 people on your server at a time, or you'll end up dropping connections/having tons of lag. Besides that, try 22 people with vanilla. If it still lags, then lower it to 14. If it stops after that, woo-hoo, try 14 people on pyspades.

Well, tbh, I'd only have 10 people to leave space for internet browsing/what have you.

سمبر ألعاب
HollidaySpessa

Return to Server Help