Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

dedicated server questions

Problem getting your server up? Ask in here.

dedicated server questions

Postby kevlar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:52 am

Hello guys,
Our gaming community at 3-pg.com would like to run one of our Indie Game Night events playing Ace of Spades together and I'm looking into seeing if it can run on our dedicated server from SoftLayer. It is a Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 edition. We have 10 dedicated IP and currently are using 5 of them for other HL2 mods and TeamSpeak3. I have yet to play the game but its being brought up in our forums and I want to make sure we can run it on our dedicated server before we host the event.

My first question is about running it on Windows Server 2003 x64. Would it have the necessary java files to run AoS or does it need extra java install? The concerns with java on our Windows dedicated is security issues mainly.

My second question arises after reading the Ace of Spades server install procedure in regards to the the "default gateway" IP. Will I be able to define which IP I want AoS to use or will it default to the first IP we have available? I ask because we already run our TeamSpeak server and one other TF2 server on that IP but on different ports and I don't want too much traffic on the same IP if we can configure AoS to run on an unused IP we have available.

I hope we can pull this off, it could be good for our community to introduce them to cool games like this.

-Kevlar
kevlar

Re: dedicated server questions

Postby SLoW » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:44 pm

kevlar wrote:Hello guys,
Our gaming community at 3-pg.com would like to run one of our Indie Game Night events playing Ace of Spades together and I'm looking into seeing if it can run on our dedicated server from SoftLayer. It is a Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 edition. We have 10 dedicated IP and currently are using 5 of them for other HL2 mods and TeamSpeak3. I have yet to play the game but its being brought up in our forums and I want to make sure we can run it on our dedicated server before we host the event.

My first question is about running it on Windows Server 2003 x64. Would it have the necessary java files to run AoS or does it need extra java install? The concerns with java on our Windows dedicated is security issues mainly.

My second question arises after reading the Ace of Spades server install procedure in regards to the the "default gateway" IP. Will I be able to define which IP I want AoS to use or will it default to the first IP we have available? I ask because we already run our TeamSpeak server and one other TF2 server on that IP but on different ports and I don't want too much traffic on the same IP if we can configure AoS to run on an unused IP we have available.

I hope we can pull this off, it could be good for our community to introduce them to cool games like this.

-Kevlar

I can't really give any advice on what to do regarding your IP address situation, but I can tell you that pyspades (the open source python AoS server [http://code.google.com/p/pyspades/]) works just fine on Windows. In fact, I run a dedicated server on Windows Server 2008 x64. Also, since it's written in python, you won't need to mess with anything java related to get it to work.
SLoW
Global Moderator

Postby kevlar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:03 am

Thanks for the info on pyspades, I'm looking at the google docs on it now. I like the customization features and platform.

I still really need to get AoS running on another IP besides our default gateway. Anyone?
kevlar

Postby SLoW » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:13 pm

kevlar wrote:Thanks for the info on pyspades, I'm looking at the google docs on it now. I like the customization features and platform.

I still really need to get AoS running on another IP besides our default gateway. Anyone?

I believe you can specify which network adapter to use in pyspade's config, but I've never used it, so I can't give much more info on it besides that. :/
SLoW
Global Moderator

Postby izzy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:58 am

"network_interface" in config.txt to specify IP
izzy
Site Admin

Postby WIKEDMAZE » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:45 am

How do enable medkits on a pyspades server? I tried using the PY file for medkits and and opening it as a notepad file but it wont work... Any suggestions?
WIKEDMAZE

Postby SLoW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:39 pm

WIKEDMAZE wrote:How do enable medkits on a pyspades server? I tried using the PY file for medkits and and opening it as a notepad file but it wont work... Any suggestions?

You need to make sure you're including medkit.py in the scripts section in config.txt
SLoW
Global Moderator

Postby WIKEDMAZE » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:18 am

Thanks for the help!
WIKEDMAZE

Return to Server Help