Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Hacker trouble

Problem getting your server up? Ask in here.

Hacker trouble

Postby Hypercrafthatred » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Ok so I ran into someone today on my server and he said that he will destroy my comp and all this stuff and overload it with packets. I am a new server hoster so i dont really know about this stuff but is it possible for him to do this?
I have the image in the attachments of what he said.
his Ip is 75.130.122.214
Attachments
hacker.jpg
(49.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hypercrafthatred

Re: Hacker trouble

Postby GridVirt » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:05 am

He can use a ddos attack but really it is pointless on home connections. You will lose your net until you restart your computer if you have a dynamic IP or your isp will change your IP when they see the attack. Soon as your IP changes you will be unaffected again. Most likely he is just talking smack.
http://gridvirt.com Home of the fastest VPS in the world today.
GridVirt

Postby Altoids » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:07 am

Yeah, this has been happening much lately, with these ddos attacks, but like GridVirt said, it's pretty much useless for home connections. Just restart your stuff later.
Altoids
Komrade Member

Postby Hypercrafthatred » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:18 am

GridVirt wrote:He can use a ddos attack but really it is pointless on home connections. You will lose your net until you restart your computer if you have a dynamic IP or your isp will change your IP when they see the attack. Soon as your IP changes you will be unaffected again. Most likely he is just talking smack.

Ok even if it was real would he still be able to do this dos attack. Can he do it even if ip banned?
Hypercrafthatred

Postby GridVirt » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:34 am

Ip banning him would not stop him no as most ddos attacks are launched using other IPs than the attackers.
GridVirt

Postby EzRemade » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:25 pm

To properly DDoS someone you need multiple connections attacking a target at the same time.

Someone sitting at home on a cable internet connection is not going to DDoS someone else who is also on a similar network. It just isn't going to happen. If it somehow did, the attacker would be essentially "attacking" himself at the same time.

Don't worry too much about it. Getting someone's IP address isn't really that hard, and if anyone could DDoS anyone that easily we'd have a big problem on our hands in general.
EzRemade

Postby GridVirt » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Not really true EzRemade. People don't actually use their home connections for an attack unless they are slow. A normal DDOS lets say a UDP flood which is the most common for taking down connections and game servers is usually a minimum of a few 100 infected computers that are infected and controlled by the attacker from home or maybe a neighbours wi-fi. So there is no attacking oneself. People do take down home connections sometimes and more often than people think even though it is not worth it. It is not a concern though because of what I stated above. Most attackers won't risk it because everytime they use the infected computers for an attack it increases the chances of their trojan being detected at which point it will be very quickly added to all the major anti-virus databases around the world and they will lose a bunch of their zombies and need to go through getting their virus re-encrypted and made FUD (fully undetectable) again and respread the virus.
GridVirt

Return to Server Help