Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Pyspades Map Editor Suggestions

For all your hosting needs.

Pyspades Map Editor Suggestions

Postby Influx » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:48 pm

I've recently had my first real look into Pyspades Map Editor today and I think it could be a very powerful tool, but it could use a fair bit of work. Now, I'm not a coder, and probably never will be, so I don't know if these are feasable to do, but I'll just spew out the random suggestions I have for it and let the coders decide. Ones I feel are important have a * after to them;

GUI/General Functions:

- Ghost outline of current brush*
- Toggleable map grid overlay (I would mainly use it for checking where spawns would be, but I'm sure it could be used for other things too)
- On-screen colour palette
- Make z-layer below visible on current layer (imagine like it is in Dwarf Fortress)
- Grid snap* (& see grid lines)*
- User-definable keyboard shortcuts
- Undo/Redo*
- Help menu*

Tools:

- Selection tool (click on one corner, click on other corner, could work over multiple z-levels?)
- Erase tool* (I could've sworn it had one when I used it last year to touch up a specific area in one of my maps. Could be mistaken)
- Able to paint a texture rather than inserting the texture in its entirity
- Select a scale for the texture
- Fill tool*
- Line tool* (& ability to select line thickness)*
- Shape tool (draws outlines of shapes like circles and rectangles by click&drag like in MS Paint)
- Text tool (for those who sign their maps)
- 3D Shape tool (Spheres, cubes, pyramids, cylinders, etc.)
- Paint tool* (doesn't insert new blocks, just changes colours of existing ones)
- Insert Voxed Item tool (can be moved around once inserted, press a certain key to anchor it in place)

Any others that I might have left out? And would any be able to be implemented?
Influx

Re: Pyspades Map Editor Suggestions

Postby BuffetOfLies » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:24 pm

These are all great ideas. Being able to edit on the other axes like y and z would be excellent. Something like the slice editor in Slab6 would be so useful. And maybe some sort of render visualization tool.
BuffetOfLies

Postby hompy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:50 pm

There are quite a few things I'd like to do with the editor, but unfortunately it's a very tedious and unrewarding job. I'll see if I can get the simpler stuff out of the way though.

I know this is not a very nice thing to say but I figured it was better than no answer at all :b
hompy
Wizard.

Postby Influx » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:04 pm

I understand - making maps is hardly a glorious side of AoS, and, as such, developing tools for it is pretty thankless. Still, if the Pyspades editor can slowly implement new features, hopefully more people use it and more (and better) maps get made.
Influx

Return to Server