Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Would these specs run a 32 man server

For all your hosting needs.

Would these specs run a 32 man server

Postby EdgeIniquitous » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:32 pm

VPS
Intel Xeon Single Core
CentOS 5 x64 Bit
1GB RAM
20GB Storage
5tb/month Bandwitch
100mbs Download/upload speed
EdgeIniquitous

Re: Would these specs run a 32 man server

Postby Dom » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 pm

Yes

The big issue really is connection speed, specifically contention ratio. Some VPS providers oversell so they may have many many servers running on 1 connection, leading to bad lag.

The same applies to all resources. It could be that 20 other VPS are also running game servers on that same Xeon, which would cause slow response times.

The only way you can really test is to try it. I'd recommend you go with a VPS service that offers a month free trial or a money back guarantee, then you can setup, and if the lag is too bad, change to another provider.

Dom
Dom

Postby EdgeIniquitous » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:56 pm

It has a 14 day guarantee so I figured I would try it... still waiting for the inital set-up (Free) If i prepaid and waited around 6 hours. $75 if I didn't want to wait :P The company I am using is FortaTrust, any feedback on them?
EdgeIniquitous

Postby Dom » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:35 pm

A quick Google shows up these 2 results:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1166240
http://www.serchen.com/company/fortatrust/

Seem a bit hit and miss. Can't hurt to try them though.

Personally, I run my own home server. It's intel xeon single core w/ 8gb RAM. Pyspades runs in a stripped down SuSE ESXi VM along with 3 other VM's though. Performance is more than playable for a 32 player server, it gets a bit laggy at times but I think that's more to do with my connection being a bit laggy at time (Virgin Media)

I think I could get another 2 - 4 pyspades servers running on there before my connections start getting too slow. I think pyspades recommends up to 3mbps upload on a 32 player server but a few other admins have suggested spikes up to 5mbps.
Dom

Postby EdgeIniquitous » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:53 am

Quick reply, tested and running at max capacity no lag ping gets up to a max of around 100 at max capacity.
EdgeIniquitous

Postby Enari » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:01 pm

To run a good lagfree server you need:
1gig RAM (you could make it with less if it's not a VPS, 512MB RAM will do if you have fast pancakes)
CPU: one core per server
LINK SPEED: don't really matter 10/10MBs should be able to handle 32 players without any problem at all.
To get low ping your host have to have a good connection, be close to a big node and be peerd with lots of ISP's
in my experience Hosters tend to not give out this information
Bandwith: most servers will manage with 1TB/month (up)
Enari

Postby EdgeIniquitous » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:41 pm

They shared the peerd information. AT&T etc etc
EdgeIniquitous

Return to Server