Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Texturing Voxels??

Having troubles?

Texturing Voxels??

Postby Fyoface » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Is there a way to texture the tarrain Voxels, Not just change thier collers but add texture??
Attachments
Gaming Baner.png
(22.18 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Fyoface

Re: Texturing Voxels??

Postby Paratrooper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:50 pm

No. Voxels don't work that way.
To a Physicist, white and black is the presence and absence of color.
To a Fine Artist, white and black are just shades and tints of color.
To a Painter, any paint that you could get into a can is a color.
THIS color, on the other hand, is #b4d455.
Paratrooper
Local Mod

Postby OnkelDolan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:19 pm

Voxels are 3d pixels. If you cannot put textures on a single pixel, then you cannot texture a voxel. The only way you'd be able to have textured blocks would be to increase the voxel density, but the developer of AoS (Ben aksoy and Mat^2) would need to increase it for everyone, so it is sort of hard. You can suggest it in the suggestions if you want, but increasing the voxel density would probably cause performance degradation.
IGN: RisunEtsijä

I am the AoS Finnish ambassador

http://www.youtube.com/comment?lc=fKB3Q ... gvIXqEV66o
OnkelDolan

Postby Fyoface » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:36 am

Thank you guy i just thought i would ask.. In the game Gun Craft they have there voxels texured and if they can do it so can we, i just dont know how??
Attachments
Gaming Baner.png
(22.18 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Fyoface

Postby Paratrooper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:23 am

Those aren't voxels, technically. I believe they're just polygon models.

AoS uses voxels because it loads on computers without using hardware acceleration.
To a Physicist, white and black is the presence and absence of color.
To a Fine Artist, white and black are just shades and tints of color.
To a Painter, any paint that you could get into a can is a color.
THIS color, on the other hand, is #b4d455.
Paratrooper
Local Mod

Postby OnkelDolan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 am

Paratrooper wrote:Those aren't voxels, technically. I believe they're just polygon models.

AoS uses voxels because it loads on computers without using hardware acceleration.

I suspect that too, the guy who makes the game defines Voxels as cube based, as in he a cube, in any form is a voxel, which is not true. I think he also used the term to get more support because everyone knows voxels are cooler than textured polygons.
IGN: RisunEtsijä

I am the AoS Finnish ambassador

http://www.youtube.com/comment?lc=fKB3Q ... gvIXqEV66o
OnkelDolan

Postby Fyoface » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Wht do all these games clam to use Voxels but are using polis??? It piss's me off?? I keep looking for new uses of the tec and find out its poop. By the way GunCraft is not worth buying its crap
Attachments
Gaming Baner.png
(22.18 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Fyoface

Postby Exato » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 pm

The blocks in Guncraft ARE voxels. A voxel doesn't need to be a single pixel in color. AoS devs just do that for performance reasons. If they allowed a texture on the voxels, the game would no longer "run on your grandma's PC." Voxel's are merely procedurally generated cubes. You wouldn't say Minecraft's voxels are polygon models would you, just because they have textures?

How do I know this, you ask? I'm one of the devs for Guncraft.
Last edited by Exato on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exato

Postby ChaosTLW » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Exato wrote:The blocks in Guncraft ARE voxels. A voxel doesn't need to be a single pixel in color. AoS devs just do that for performance reasons. If they allowed a texture on the voxels, the game would no longer "run on your grandma's PC." Voxel's are merely procedurally generated cubes. You wouldn't say Minecraft's voxels are polygon models would you, just because they have textures?

How do I know this? I'm one of the devs for Guncraft.

Well, from what I know (not much, really) a voxel is just like a 3D pixel. So, in theory, it should be possible to make a "larger unit", made of voxels, in comparison with a square kilometer, that is made of square meters, and this unit would be textured.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby Exato » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 pm

ChaosTLW wrote:
Exato wrote:The blocks in Guncraft ARE voxels. A voxel doesn't need to be a single pixel in color. AoS devs just do that for performance reasons. If they allowed a texture on the voxels, the game would no longer "run on your grandma's PC." Voxel's are merely procedurally generated cubes. You wouldn't say Minecraft's voxels are polygon models would you, just because they have textures?

Well, from what I know (not much, really) a voxel is just like a 3D pixel. So, in theory, it should be possible to make a "larger unit", made of voxels, in comparison with a square kilometer, that is made of square meters, and this unit would be textured.

You can make a voxel as big or small as you want. "Industry Standard" right now is Minecraft size though. We all do it that way because it's what people are used to and it's not too big or too small.
Exato

Postby Fyoface » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks, Exato

They are voxels i took it all a part. The texturing you see on the Voxels in GunCraft are in fact Static Filters applied to the vovel. We use the function all ready here creating maps with Bit Map Converter. Creating the static filter of map coller normaly. "This, I believe, would not cause the PC to lag at all. Im going to see what I can do. An if it works then modding and map making here will become even more intresting? High hopes lol
Fyoface

Postby ChaosTLW » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Exato wrote:
ChaosTLW wrote:

You can make a voxel as big or small as you want. "Industry Standard" right now is Minecraft size though. We all do it that way because it's what people are used to and it's not too big or too small.

I'm not talking of making voxels bigger or smaller. I'm talking about making objects made of voxels, and those would be textured. Just like the Kilometer is made of meters. I admit, I think I made a bad comparison, but it is possible to understand what I meant.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby Moghard » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Fyoface wrote:Thank you guy i just thought i would ask.. In the game Gun Craft they have there voxels texured and if they can do it so can we, i just dont know how??

Gun Craft is made with voxels, but they are really small, and they work like a flat texture.

OMG! Making mods for Gun Craft may be fun! I am going to try it out!
Moghard

Location: In a dimension, where i live with other mighty Dwarves and eat lots of kaymak.

Return to Modding Help