Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

problem when making ironsights.

Having troubles?

problem when making ironsights.

Postby DrPockets » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:54 pm

I double the dimensions a couple times in slab6. Then I open up Gimp and I scale it so it looks like the first image in the album. How do I get the center of the 800 by 600 match up to the tip of the gun?
I eventually worked around the problem and I got the second image in the album, but it doesn't look very good.
http://imgur.com/a/qIBfi
This is my ninja, pirate, and misc. pack viewtopic.php?f=71&t=3692
DrPockets

Re: problem when making ironsights.

Postby DrPockets » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:22 pm

I just reread this and it does not seem very clear, so here is my attempt to clear it up

I made a model for a gun. I wanted to make ironsights for it. I zoom in using slab6 to make it look like I am staring down the sights. I take a screen shot. That screen shot is the first image in the album. I open up the jpeg in Gimp. However, the gunsight is not matched up with the center of the Gimp. How do I center the gun sight?
DrPockets

Postby Trollolz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:31 pm

Find another mod that has a reddot, just open the default semi, erase everything but the reddot. save it as something like: reddot. Also, close open folders and do F12 in slab6. It will save to either your desktop or last opened folder. now open your F12 image in Gimp. Right click on the image, Layer(s), Transparency, Add alpha channel. Use magic wand, erase the background default slab6 color. Go to file, open as layers. Open the reddot you made earlier. Go to the tools open window. You will see 2 or 3 little rectangles layering each other, click that. Hit background, use the move layer tool on the tool window, and line it up to the reddot wherever you want it to shoot. I can bullet this to make it easier if you want. Just ask. When you save, save as "semi.png" or something like that w/out the ". Or do smg.png, shotugn.png ect.
Trollolz
[DELTA] Leader

Postby Paratrooper » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Just get one half and flip it.
To a Physicist, white and black is the presence and absence of color.
To a Fine Artist, white and black are just shades and tints of color.
To a Painter, any paint that you could get into a can is a color.
THIS color, on the other hand, is #b4d455.
Paratrooper
Local Mod

Postby DrPockets » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Trollolz wrote:Find another mod that has a reddot, just open the default semi, erase everything but the reddot. save it as something like: reddot. Also, close open folders and do F12 in slab6. It will save to either your desktop or last opened folder. now open your F12 image in Gimp. Right click on the image, Layer(s), Transparency, Add alpha channel. Use magic wand, erase the background default slab6 color. Go to file, open as layers. Open the reddot you made earlier. Go to the tools open window. You will see 2 or 3 little rectangles layering each other, click that. Hit background, use the move layer tool on the tool window, and line it up to the reddot wherever you want it to shoot. I can bullet this to make it easier if you want. Just ask. When you save, save as "semi.png" or something like that w/out the ". Or do smg.png, shotugn.png ect.

I think I can follow what you are saying and I managed to make what I wanted. However, it is saved as a GIMP file. I tried to make it into a png using the save menu but it messes up the scope a lot? How do you convert it without it getting all weird?
DrPockets

Postby Trollolz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:39 am

What do you mean by messing it up? What happens? Make sure it has the size as 800 wide by 600 height. I usually do this on sumopaint. It makes the gun look thin though. I still am a noob to this kind of stuff. But this is how I usually do it. Overview: Make it 800 wide by 600 height. Do this by going to sumopaint.com and playing around with the image/sizes.
Trollolz
[DELTA] Leader

Postby DrPockets » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:28 am

When I ask it to save in a png format, it asks me to merge the layers. If I click yes or if I click ignore it turns my fine scope into this http://imgur.com/d5mNc

I also figured out how to actually make a ironsight with a cross hair. I put the cross hair onto a transparent 800 by 600 image. I then turn the gun into a paintbrush and paint the gun where ever I like. It is really weird and I am sure there is a better way, but it does work.
DrPockets

Postby Trollolz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:22 am

1. Get your screenshot.
2. Open it in GIMP.
3. Save it as .png (don't do anything but change the format into a .png file. Eg: Open it and directly save it into a .png file.
4. Open it in sumopaint.
5. Open from my computer
6. Image, then size, make it 800 wide and 600 high.
7. Save it as your semi.png or smg.png or shotgun.png, Or whatever you saved in GIMP.
8. Open GIMP. Take your reddot (said in earlier post), open as layers.
9. Go into toolbox or whatever has the layer thing, click the 3 white paper things on top one another, click background (gun).
10. Go back into the tools and click the blue piece that looks like a "+" with arrow points on it.
11. Drag it to where you want the reddot/shooting point at. The reddot in the background is where the shots come out.

NOTE:

The edge of the blocky part on your scope/sight is the FAR EDGE, any piece under it won't be blocky, it will be transparent. Meaning you can see the blocks in-game under the edge of the blocky sight. So with the "+" tool, drag it <--- or ---> (left or right) and wherever the reddot part is left or right is where you shoot. If you move it up you will see the in-game battlefield. If you move it down, you pull the reddot up in-game, thus making the shot go up with the reddot.

I had to teach myself this stuff. I'm sure there are more people who have better ways to do this. But try what I said.
Trollolz
[DELTA] Leader

Postby DrPockets » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:54 am

It all makes scene until you get to step 9. I have no idea what tool you are talking about.
DrPockets

Postby Trollolz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:15 pm

1. Get your screenshot in slab6. Do this by pressing F12.
2. Open it in GIMP. Open Toolbox, do: Ctrl B (it usually is there when gimp starts)
3. Right click/Layer/Transparency/Add alpha channel. http://i.imgur.com/u4Bur.jpg
3.5. Now take this nifty tool "Magic Wand" or Fuzzy Select Tool : http://i.imgur.com/2rpG6.jpg Now click on all the white or background color with the wand, and hit delete key on your computer.
3.7. Save it as .png (don't do anything but change the format into a .png file. Eg: Open it and directly save it into a .png file. Example: Save it as semi.png Do: File/Save As/Then name it to semi.png.
4. Open it in sumopaint. Go to: www.sumopaint.com or just google sumopaint.
5. In sumopaint do Open from my computer
6. Image, then canvas size, make it 800 wide and 600 high.
7. Save it as your semi.png or smg.png or shotgun.png, Or whatever you saved in GIMP.
8. Open GIMP. Open your semi, smg, shotgun.png file.
9. Now you do a little hard part. Opening the reddot. (explained earlier post.)
10. Go to: File/Open as Layers
11. Open the Reddot you made MAKE SURE IT IS OPEN AS LAYERS
12. Make sure layers window is open. To do this: http://i.imgur.com/BGISi.jpg
13. Select "Background" http://i.imgur.com/5E2zG.jpg
14. Select "Move" Tool. http://i.imgur.com/kK2M9.jpg
15. Make sure the Layer is still on "Background"
16. You see the red part on the semi default sight, right? That is where I presume you want to shoot right? Well it's not going to unless you move it where that red dot above the default sight is.
17. Let's say that black part is an ironsight with no red or colored thing at all, this is what you will get with a slab6 screenshot.
18. Using the move tool, drag the top of the place you want to shoot over the red dot, I usually cover half of it (2 blocks) and leave half of it sticking up so it makes it easier to aim.
19. Save it as semi, smg, shotgun.png.
20. When you save it will ask to merge, say yes or merge.
21. bring this file into your AoS png folder and rename it "smg, shotgun, semi" because it won't read "semi.png" it has to be named "semi" with no " or .png on the end of it.
Trollolz
[DELTA] Leader

Postby DrPockets » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks for spending so much time on teaching me how to make iron sights. I finally made a iron sight.
DrPockets

Postby Trollolz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Glad to help anyone. The more people that know and can teach others, the better. Hope to see some of your ironsights in the future!
Trollolz
[DELTA] Leader

Postby TheGeekZeke101 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:59 pm

DrPockets wrote:Thanks for spending so much time on teaching me how to make iron sights. I finally made a iron sight.

Pics?

Retired Member Missing In Action As Of 7/26/12
TheGeekZeke101

Postby DrPockets » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:13 am

Here are some of the iron sights I made for my deagle. http://imgur.com/a/2Zcwn
I use the one on the top
DrPockets

Postby Trollolz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:13 am

What you need to do is open it in sumopaint and get the eyedropper tool. After getting the color, use the line tool and draw a line up to the center of the red "x" then erase all the excess red lines using the eraser. Dont erase the center 4 red pixels. Draw a line up up to the 4 center pixels. Leaving the top 2 pixels uncovered.
Trollolz
[DELTA] Leader

Next

Return to Modding Help