Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Need help with bitmap converter EDIT:+GIMP(solved)

Having problems creating a map? Ask around in here.

Need help with bitmap converter EDIT:+GIMP(solved)

Postby Tek2 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm a total dummy with this kind of stuff then, so treat me like an idiot here, explaining everything the simplest way possible.

I've followed this tutorial:
http://umh.sandcrawler.net/index.php?pa ... view&id=35

and I've gotten stuck to step 3. "Putting them together using bildramer's Bitmap Converter"

I've named everything like in the tutorial and I've made the .bat file saying what the tutorial told me.
I just haven't gotten a map.vxl.
How I actually do the bitmap converting?

There was a map.vxl with the download of bildgramer and I opened it in voxed thinking "oh this must be my map" but it was only a moon map which came with the download. >_>
Last edited by Tek2 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tek2

Re: Need help with bitmap converter

Postby SIMOX » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:53 pm

1. Edit the bat file and type this:
Code: Select all
converth.exe map.bmp mapH.bmp

map - colored map
mapH - grey map for height map.

2. When you are done with that save bat file and click it twice.
3. Open map.vxl as it should contain your map.
My all mods are Here. My first map is Here
Plays Ace of Spades since 2011 April 11 [0.21]
SIMOX

Postby Tek2 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:57 pm

SIMOX wrote:1. Edit the bat file and type this:
converth.exe map.bmp mapH.bmp

map - colored map
mapH - grey map for height map.

2. When you are done with that save bat file and click it twice.
3. Open map.vxl as it should contain your map.

Still the grey moon map >_>

I tried with a new map.bmp without any layer stuff I might have screwed up, but still didn't work.
Tek2

Postby Sandcrawler » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Make sure you are actually saving a .bat file, and not a text file named makemap.bat.txt

I was using Windows XP with file extensions showing, when you have a file browser open you can go to File > Folder Options then the View tab. One of the Checkboxes is "Hide extensions for know file types" if you shut that off it will show the file extensions at the end of the name. Then you can change the file extension by renaming the file.

If you don't want to see the file extensions for everything you can also do a Save As from the notepad, then change the "Save as type:" to All Files. Now just name the file makemap.bat and it will save as a bat file.

When you run the bat file that I use in the tutorial it will open a command prompt window and give a message. When the .vxl is ready it will tell you to push any button to continue, then the vxl file is ready.

converth.exe bitmap.bmp heightmap.bmp
pause
Unreal Modders Haven Mapping Tutorials for Ace of Spades, as well as free map hosting.

Add your map to the downloads section on the website, and I will add it to the sandcrawler.net server.
Sandcrawler

Postby Tek2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:28 pm

Sandcrawler wrote:Make sure you are actually saving a .bat file, and not a text file named makemap.bat.txt

I was using Windows XP with file extensions showing, when you have a file browser open you can go to File > Folder Options then the View tab. One of the Checkboxes is "Hide extensions for know file types" if you shut that off it will show the file extensions at the end of the name. Then you can change the file extension by renaming the file.

If you don't want to see the file extensions for everything you can also do a Save As from the notepad, then change the "Save as type:" to All Files. Now just name the file makemap.bat and it will save as a bat file.

When you run the bat file that I use in the tutorial it will open a command prompt window and give a message. When the .vxl is ready it will tell you to push any button to continue, then the vxl file is ready.

converth.exe bitmap.bmp heightmap.bmp
pause

I did the thing you said about the bat file and I did have it as a text file.
Now I got this "MS-DOS-komentojonotiedosto" (direct translation would be MS-DOS-Commandlinefile.)

But I still only have the same moon map.

Also: Do I need to have the .bmp after the other things in their name? I tried with and without it though.
Tek2

Postby Sandcrawler » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Yea you will need the .bmp at the end for the command line.

Make sure you save the bmp as the same name you set. Also save as a 24bit when gimp asks R8 G8 B8 (I think)

Posted from my IPhone.
Unreal Modders Haven Mapping Tutorials for Ace of Spades, as well as free map hosting.

Add your map to the downloads section on the website, and I will add it to the sandcrawler.net server.
Sandcrawler

Postby Tek2 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Managed to solve that problem with bitmap converting. :D

Now I got another one with GIMP. >:

I was still following the same tutorial ( http://umh.sandcrawler.net/index.php?pa ... view&id=35 )

but I don't know how I can paste the desarutated RGB noise layer to the mask.
I try right clicking the layer mask and choosing copy, but there isn't that option availeble, then I try ctrl+v but that doesn't work either.
(This is in step 1 creating a bitmap using GIMP)
Tek2

Postby SIMOX » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Tek2 wrote:but I don't know how I can paste the desarutated RGB noise layer to the mask.
I try right clicking the layer mask and choosing copy, but there isn't that option availeble, then I try ctrl+v but that doesn't work either.
(This is in step 1 creating a bitmap using GIMP)

Just simply select whole layer with your mouse by holding left button. Then Push Ctrl+C and finnally select the white mask cube in the layers panel and push Ctrl+V
My all mods are Here. My first map is Here
Plays Ace of Spades since 2011 April 11 [0.21]
SIMOX

Re: Need help with bitmap converter EDIT:+GIMP

Postby Tek2 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:09 pm

This is tough for me. :D

I made an image show so you could say where the heck I went wrong.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... /GIMP1.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... /GIMP2.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... /GIMP3.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... /GIMP4.jpg

After pressing the ctrl + v I get this:
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... /GIMP5.jpg

I undid that and decided to try a new tactic by just clicking the layer with the mask once in the layer menu, same result as above but the image changed to a stripe-like pattern and flashy (you can't see the flashing from the picture). >_>
http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... GIMP5B.jpg

so... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE:D
Tek2

Postby Sandcrawler » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:59 pm

You need to anchor the layer, there are two ways you can do that.

1. Click on the view-port (but not on the image) somewhere on the gray part next to the image.

2. You can right click on the floating section, and in the right click menu there will be an option to anchor layer.

You will need to have the layer mask section selected when you paste. Then just anchor the layer and it should work.

Sandcrawler

Postby Tek2 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Sandcrawler wrote:You need to anchor the layer, there are two ways you can do that.

1. Click on the view-port (but not on the image) somewhere on the gray part next to the image.

2. You can right click on the floating section, and in the right click menu there will be an option to anchor layer.

You will need to have the layer mask section selected when you paste. Then just anchor the layer and it should work.

W00t!

I could almost kiss you!

:D
Tek2

Return to Mapping Help