Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

[MAP] -- Nine-Eye -- [CTF][TDM]

Post your masterpieces in here!

[MAP] -- Nine-Eye -- [CTF][TDM]

Postby ei8htx » Thu May 17, 2012 7:50 am

My first (public) map, Nine-Eye.

I designed it for fast-paced action with it's small size, while requiring some engineering by both teams in order to get the intel. Also, both teams have a tower they can work towards, giving them a serious advantage.

Includes a txt file with scripts to get the intel and base in a consistent location.

Please leave comments and suggestions! Enjoy.

edit: subject tags
ei8htx

Re: [MAP] -- Nine-Eye -- [CTF][TDM]

Postby BuffetOfLies » Thu May 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Interesting shading. Nice work.
BuffetOfLies

Postby Dany0 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:15 pm

I like it too - 90s shareware games/web 1.1 style graphics hehehe.

Hosting on aos://62969005:32839

Some guy didn't like us sniping on our little tower so he just griefed it... http://j.mp/JVWr6P lol epic one
Dany0

Postby Enari » Fri May 18, 2012 12:28 am

Would be nice to play this with waterdamage, otherwise everyone will "swim to the enemies base.

Also, how did you do those screenshoots? because that does not look like aos graphics :O
Enari

Postby ei8htx » Fri May 18, 2012 8:25 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I was so busy with class I forgot I tossed this up the other day. XD

I drew it up in photoshop. After finishing the heightmap layer I took different chunks of it and added textures, along with the bevel effect. I think combined with black fog, it makes for a surreal screenshot. All screenshots were taken ingame on my machine, unaltered. If anyone's curious I can send the original .psd file.

The mapname.txt file includes water damage, as well as a script to put the intel and base in the same spots.

In hindsight, I realize there may be a problem with people burying the intel all the way to the water, like 40 tiles down, and that's no fun, so I plan to add a script that respawns the flag if it falls below a certain height, like in babel. I'm not too good with this python stuff yet (I'm more C++/Java), and I dunno what I can script in the mapname.txt file as opposed to requiring a whole separate script called in the pyspades config, but I'll try to tackle it this weekend. Hopefully it's as simple as the base/flag stuff now. For that I mostly followed the instructions here.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for hosting, dany! I popped in there a little after midnight just now.

Thanks again, hope you all enjoy.
ei8htx

Postby Enari » Fri May 18, 2012 10:20 am

You could make the block under the intel protected (all the way down) that way it would be impossible to bury it.

Try asking hompy for help :P
Enari

Postby bonjovirules » Fri May 18, 2012 11:23 am

It is pretty nice.

IGN: [G33K][FF] alex
bonjovirules
[FF] Member

Postby Dany0 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:24 pm

ei8htx wrote:If anyone's curious I can send the original .psd file.

Uhm, why would we?

ei8htx wrote:The mapname.txt file includes water damage, as well as a script to put the intel and base in the same spots.

If they didn't download and/or play the map ignore them.

ei8htx wrote:In hindsight, I realize there may be a problem with people burying the intel all the way to the water, like 40 tiles down, and that's no fun, so I plan to add a script that respawns the flag if it falls below a certain height, like in babel.

There's already a script for that. And it's not in the babel script. Some babel admins use a script that respawns the intel if the carrier dies. So that you only have one chance to get the intel.

ei8htx wrote:I'm not too good with this python stuff yet (I'm more C++/Java),

Really? Great! Can you show us some stuff you've done?

ei8htx wrote:and I dunno what I can script in the mapname.txt file as opposed to requiring a whole separate script called in the pyspades config, but I'll try to tackle it this weekend.

Everything you need is in the pyspades wiki. If you have any other questions visit the folks at the #pyspades irc channel on QuakeNet.

ei8htx wrote:Hopefully it's as simple as the base/flag stuff now. For that I mostly followed the instructions here.

I'm sorry it's not like that. You should know that if you're a C++/Java guy.

ei8htx wrote:Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

No problem!

ei8htx wrote:Thanks for hosting, dany! I popped in there a little after midnight just now.

Thanks again, hope you all enjoy.

Great! We like the map too.
Dany0

Postby ei8htx » Sat May 19, 2012 11:19 pm

What I mean is, if over riding the base and intel locations is as easy as it was, I was hoping putting in some script if the intel is below a certain height would be just as simple. I don't get how pyspades is using the mapname.txt file. Does it loop constantly? Does it only run once when loading and then stop? I thought it was weird that you only type the

Code: Select all
def get_entity_location(team, entity_id):

line once, and then have a corresponding if statement for each. I originally had this whole line with an if statement for each intel and base, but it ignored the first 3 and only does the last one. Then I figured out you only use this line once and have 4 if statements for each condition. It still blows my mind that there's no brackets in python, lol. It must loop through the mapname.txt script stuff or something, but I don't get how it knows when an if statement begins or ends.

I thought maybe getting the intel location and then putting it back would be as simple as:

get current (not spawned) intel z position,
if z< 30
return intel position (,,60)

or something like that. In babel, if you die with the intel it'll stay where it is unless you're below a certain height. Even if you're 1 or 2 (?) blocks down it'll still stay in place, as I've seen it sitting on the tower/staircase when you kill the intel holder. I'm sure this is all part of the babel script, however.

Enari seems to have the simplest solution, just make the block below it invulnerable. Can this be put into the mapname.txt script? It seems like one of those things that could be initialized and done with. I don't get the inner workings of pyspades yet :\

Is the API listed somewhere or a list of variables used in AoS and pyspades? I didn't see it in the wiki.

Thanks for all the feedback, dany! I'll definitely pay the IRC channel a visit. The quarter is winding up here, but afterwards over the summer I'd like to try tackling some python.

I have lots of random C++ and Java code here and there, but it's mostly schoolwork for the C++, and Java I've been teaching myself for jerking around with my android. My focus in programming has been more with robotics, as it follows my degree pursuit, and even Java I'm mostly learning for access to the phone accelerometer, but I'd like to get better with pure software programming. As of now the most elaborate software-only program I've ever written was a galaga style asteroids shooter (they didn't shoot back, lol) in high school.

Edit: Forgot to add, I offered the .psd in case anyone wants to see how I did the heightmap and shading and all that. I always like to see how peeps do stuff (like the Titanic map with the object import, freaking awesome), so I can learn a thing or two.
ei8htx

Postby Dany0 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:36 pm

sigh... >.>
Dany0

Postby BuffetOfLies » Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Object import is pretty simple, ei8htx. There's a command-line program called POLY2VOX which you can find here. You import objects into Slab6 to paint and re-edit as you see fit and then import them into a map with VOXED via the KVX format with the 'U' key. Move them around and rotate them (in strict 90 degree increments sadly) with the numpad.
BuffetOfLies

Postby Summit » Sun May 20, 2012 5:43 pm

I like the shading a lot.
The annoying thing is that i wish it was small enough to be a arena map.
This is because when you build mini bridges to the other side people just grief them and destroy them.
Anyway overall it is a nice map with nice shading.
BattleAC coming soon
Summit

Postby Dany0 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:55 pm

BuffetOfLies wrote:in strict 90 degree increments sadly

You can overcome that by rotating the polygonal model in you favorite 3d modeler.
Dany0

Postby ei8htx » Sun May 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Wow, thanks for the link, buffet. I've already got my next project in mind now.

I hadn't considered an arena map, summit. But I think if I shrink it a bit, hollow out some of the inside blocks, and connect a few bridges, it might make for an ok arena map. Plus this'll force me to figure out the scripting behind arena, and some good practice on additive and subtractive heightmaps. Thanks for the idea.
ei8htx

Postby LASTofS » Sun May 20, 2012 10:56 pm

Great work, babel guy!
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Next

Return to Released Maps