Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

DarkDXZ's Maps - Baltic Sea update!

Post your masterpieces in here!

DarkDXZ's Maps - Baltic Sea update!

Postby DarkDXZ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:02 pm

Ladies and Deuces...I hereby present to you the very first map of mine...

The Baltic Sea
The Baltic Sea is a brackish mediterranean sea located in Northern Europe, from 53°N to 66°N latitude and from 20°E to 26°E longitude. It is bounded by the Scandinavian Peninsula, the mainland of Europe, and the Danish islands. It drains into the Kattegat by way of the Øresund, the Great Belt and the Little Belt. The Kattegat continues through Skagerrak into the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. The Baltic Sea is connected by man-made waterways to the White Sea via the White Sea Canal, and to the North Sea via the Kiel Canal. The Baltic Sea might be considered to be bordered on its northern edge by the Gulf of Bothnia, on its northeastern edge by the Gulf of Finland, and on its eastern edge by the Gulf of Riga. These various gulfs can also be considered part of the Baltic Sea.

Wikipedia article fragment, can be skipped

The Baltic Sea is a map made using excellent Bitmap Converter by bildramer - I recommend using it!

The map sports mountains at the southern Germany and Poland, as well as Norway (or is it Sweden?), and much of water on the side of Kaliningrad Oblast, Lithuania, Latvia and a small part of Estonia. This gives it much of vanilla-style gameplay advantages, of good, old gen maps.

This isn't intended to be a super-over-detailed-handmade-map that took me months to make.
It's intended to be FUN map, with good gameplay of home servers (although I don't mind seeing it on big servers, too).

The preview screen. (pardon the spades)
Map overview screen.
Blue spawn area (Denmark).
Green spawn area (Latvia)

Download
UPDATE 1.1!
Map is now much smoother, no more jagged terrain!
Also, changed map colors to fit with my other maps.

=============================================================

Australia
Australia ( /əˈstreɪljə/), officially the Commonwealth of Australia,[10] is a country in the Southern Hemisphere comprising the mainland of the Australian continent as well as the island of Tasmania and numerous smaller islands in the Indian and Pacific Oceans.[N 4] It is the world's sixth-largest country by total area. Neighbouring countries include Indonesia, East Timor and Papua New Guinea to the north; the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and New Caledonia to the north-east; and New Zealand to the south-east.

The second map of mine, this time, the Australia - world's smallest continent, yet a great map for Deuces to conquer!
Made using Bitmap Converter by bildramer.

The map features the Australia as a country, so no Oceania here. :/
Still, it's a great map with many (still jaggy) mountainous areas, as well as flat areas to build on.

Sorry for not naming all the places, but I don't really know much about Australia, and I don't want to lie.

The preview screen.
Map overview screen.
Blue spawn area, with excellently placed tent.
Green spawn area, with excellently placed intel.

Download

=============================================================

Black Sea
The Black Sea is bounded by Europe, Anatolia and the Caucasus and is ultimately connected to the Atlantic Ocean via the Mediterranean and the Aegean seas and various straits. The Bosphorus strait connects it to the Sea of Marmara, and the strait of the Dardanelles connects that sea to the Aegean Sea region of the Mediterranean. These waters separate eastern Europe and western Asia. The Black Sea is also connected to the Sea of Azov by the Strait of Kerch.

The third map in my repository - The Black Sea! This time, finally smoothed out slightly, so shouldn't be nearly as jaggy in mountainous areas - although mountains are still pretty high.

The preview screen.
Map overview screen.
Blue spawn area.
Green spawn area, with excellently placed tent.
Crimea - makes a great natural chokepoint.

Download

Constructive critism and feedback highly recommended!
Last edited by DarkDXZ on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The last thing I want to do is to hurt you. But it's still on the list." - DarkDXZ
You found my secret signature line, damnit! Alright, Polaks are bad, I admit. But it's not their fault.
DarkDXZ

Re: [MAP] Baltic Sea

Postby MegaDeuce » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:35 pm

Cool stuff, I love maps taken from real terrain :)

One thing for future maps, you might want to use photoshop to smooth out your heightmap a bit. That would avoid some of the jaggedness in the mountains.
MegaDeuce

Postby DarkDXZ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:27 pm

MegaDeuce wrote:Cool stuff, I love maps taken from real terrain :)

One thing for future maps, you might want to use photoshop to smooth out your heightmap a bit. That would avoid some of the jaggedness in the mountains.

Thanks. :)
Now, to get someserver to actually host it.

And personally, I think that the terrain supposed to be "smooth" is quite jagged. Mainly seen on Germany and northern Poland.
But maybe that's just me.

NOW, if ANYBODY had a damn heightmap of Crimea...
"The last thing I want to do is to hurt you. But it's still on the list." - DarkDXZ
You found my secret signature line, damnit! Alright, Polaks are bad, I admit. But it's not their fault.
DarkDXZ

Postby BuffetOfLies » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:40 pm

Did you use bildramer's heightmap converter for this? Try using a touch of gaussian blur on your heightmap, at least on the more jagged, high-contrast areas. That will smooth out the jaggies.
BuffetOfLies

Postby DarkDXZ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:02 pm

BuffetOfLies wrote:Did you use bildramer's heightmap converter for this? Try using a touch of gaussian blur on your heightmap, at least on the more jagged, high-contrast areas. That will smooth out the jaggies.

Indeed I did.
I just made another map (Australia), sadly, still jaggy mountains. :/

BUT the next one should be smooth, so...
Now, to choose what should that be.
DarkDXZ

Postby BuffetOfLies » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:29 pm

Here's your Crimean Peninsula map. It's not perfect but for 20 minutes effort I feel it's not bad. I needed the practise. I use 1.6% Gaussian Blur on the landmass while trying to make sure that NONE of the water areas are selected and convert it to grayscale and then lowering the landmass brightness so the terrain isn't too exaggerated. Pretty easy once you get the knack of it, eh? Cheers.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/crimeanmap.vxl

(Sure hope I got the right continent!)
BuffetOfLies

Re: DarkDXZ's Maps - Australia | Black Sea | Baltic Sea

Postby DarkDXZ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:07 pm

I do believe you're slightly too late. :/
Well, might add it as well.

Also, Australia and Black Sea (including the almighty Crimea) are up!
DarkDXZ

Postby Space101 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:12 pm

It's Sweden and Denmark(with Denmark being of the left side of Sweden).
I'M GAY
Space101

Postby BuffetOfLies » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:14 pm

The Black Sea looks like a scary monster face.

I never noticed that before. ;-) Looks pretty playable!
BuffetOfLies

Postby DarkDXZ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Space101 wrote:It's Sweden and Denmark(with Denmark being of the left side of Sweden).

What I meant - the map has mountains at the southern Germany, Poland, and some on the Norway or Sweden - that's what I didn't know, and I didn't want to lie - the map has no mountains on Denmark (no huge mountains, at least).

Anybody matter to host any of those maps?
I really want to check them out for real, but I can't do it on my own (can't forward my ports, y' know)...

@BuffetOfLies
We're screwed then...
Also, Sweden and Finland make something, too...Very manly thing.
DarkDXZ

Postby Space101 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:26 pm

DarkDXZ wrote:
Space101 wrote:It's Sweden and Denmark(with Denmark being of the left side of Sweden).

What I meant - the map has mountains at the southern Germany, Poland, and some on the Norway or Sweden - that's what I didn't know, and I didn't want to lie - the map has no mountains on Denmark (no huge mountains, at least).

I really want to check them out for real, but I can't do it on my own (can't forward my ports, y' know)...

@BuffetOfLies
We're screwed then...

It's k DarkDXZ, And I finished your Eletric thingy request, so tell me what you want changed if you want anything changed.
I'M GAY
Space101

Postby DarkDXZ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Space101 wrote:
DarkDXZ wrote:

@BuffetOfLies
We're screwed then...

It's k DarkDXZ, And I finished your Eletric thingy request, so tell me what you want changed if you want anything changed.

It's really, really nice, but as I said in there, shame you didn't make any sights (hopefully yet).
I've got myself some shooting sounds (no need for reloading), but still, I really lack the sights.

Maybe Simox could do some...When he has time.
DarkDXZ

Postby Jacoblab1 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:10 pm

I'll host the black sea map on my server. aos://3416737868:32887
Jacoblab1

Re: DarkDXZ's Maps - Baltic Sea update!

Postby DarkDXZ » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:25 am

Baltic Sea has been updated!(version 1.1)

Changes:
* Made the heightmap smoother, so there shouldn't be any more jaggy mountains and the landscape is generally easier to traverse. (some small peninsulas are gone, though, at least partially).
* Changed the colors to match my newer maps.
DarkDXZ

Re: DarkDXZ's Maps - Baltic Sea update!

Postby SIMOX » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:14 pm

DarkDXZ wrote:Baltic Sea has been updated!(version 1.1)

Changes:
* Made the heightmap smoother, so there shouldn't be any more jaggy mountains and the landscape is generally easier to traverse. (some small peninsulas are gone, though, at least partially).
* Changed the colors to match my newer maps.

What about making sea more water like. Now the land is darker and the water is black, so it kinda doesn't look good.
My all mods are Here. My first map is Here
Plays Ace of Spades since 2011 April 11 [0.21]
SIMOX

Next

Return to Released Maps