Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

OpenGL

For all things AoS!

OpenGL

Postby Nolejd50 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:19 pm

I have seen video on Youtube.com of Ace of Spades 'openGL' script,before 0.75 has been released.I cannot watch those cubes turned right to me when playing.Well,if he made it,why he didn't entered it into 0.75?He says it is not finished but how could he record it and upload on Youtube.com if it is not finished?
Nolejd50

Re: OpenGL

Postby Putin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:55 pm

1.Fail
2.Maybe it got bugs , crashes , and so on ...
AoS The worst game with the greatest potential .
Putin

Postby Fluttershy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Nolejd50 wrote:Well,if he made it,why he didn't entered it into 0.75?He says it is not finished but how could he record it and upload on Youtube.com if it is not finished?

Because hes filming what he has done so far.
Fluttershy

Postby coolcat1711 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:32 am

I thought this was a client not a script o.O
coolcat1711

Postby SLoW » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Mat is making an openGL client, and he was showing his progress while working on it. Just because you saw a youtube video of it functioning doesn't mean that it's ready to be released. It'll be done when it's done. :)
SLoW
Global Moderator

Postby LASTofS » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:45 am

It'll be done sometime during summertime.
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby TheOperator » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:40 am

Its gonna make gun models look too blocky, especially with the discoloration caused by the voxel shadowing effect.
TheOperator

Postby Tiki » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:29 pm

TheOperator wrote:Its gonna make gun models look too blocky

lol what?
Tiki
Bastion Member

Postby Bandage » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:25 pm

TheOperator wrote:Its gonna make gun models look too blocky, especially with the discoloration caused by the voxel shadowing effect.

Anyway, it looks sweet, it could give some extra appeal (and hopefully more modding abilities) to the game.

I'm still fine with the current looks of it, it just has that feel of AoS experience... that funny feel which makes it feel more like something else compared to the games I've been playing on my time.
PS: kmaj is a grammarnazi
Bandage
[USAB] Member

Postby TheOperator » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:13 am

As is currently the case the bounded cube model used for weapons and tools distorts the outline on the objects in question, making the weapon appear "fuzzy" and allowing our imaginations to subconsciously fill in the blanks and have the weapons look more "realistic" as to their proper proportions, as with the current weapon size its impossible to create weapons in full detail without them becoming ridiculously over-sized.

If the Open GL client was used (which I have no idea why it would be preferred as it offers no changes to gameplay aside from aesthetics) all the weapons and tools would be completely blocky, and have discolorations all over due to the way voxel handles color shading (if you notice in the Open GL videos the tip of the rifle is oddly colored compared to the rest of the rifle) So in the end if Open GL was implemented it would offer nothing aside from making weapons and tools look even less realistic with weird mismatches coloring everywhere.

No thanks.
TheOperator

Postby Crisis » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:47 am

So in the end if Open GL was implemented it would offer nothing aside from making weapons and tools look even less realistic with weird mismatches coloring everywhere.

All these problems will get fixed, hopefully. OpenGL could achieve great things for AoS:

- Faster framerates at any screen resolution, which means better gameplay.
- Support for any screen resolution, v-sync, antialiasing... Better visibility, better gameplay.
- More eye candy and graphic config flexibility, with stuff like : color handling, motion blur, dof, bloom, space distortion, dynamic fov, improved particles, improved lighting, decals...
- A stiffer competition against its rivals. This way, the game won't feel that technically outdated.

I kinda like it.
Crisis

Postby Bandage » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Crisis wrote:
So in the end if Open GL was implemented it would offer nothing aside from making weapons and tools look even less realistic with weird mismatches coloring everywhere.

All these problems will get fixed, hopefully. OpenGL could achieve great things for AoS:

- Faster framerates at any screen resolution, which means better gameplay.
- Support for any screen resolution, v-sync, antialiasing... Better visibility, better gameplay.
- More eye candy and graphic config flexibility, with stuff like : color handling, motion blur, dof, bloom, space distortion, dynamic fov, improved particles, improved lighting, decals...
- A stiffer competition against its rivals. This way, the game won't feel that technically outdated.

I kinda like it.

Yup, better graphics can't harm the game, if it's keeping it's core allright.
There's also always the possibilities to decrease the graphics to minimum, if the eye-candy features don't fit for your taste.

And as I have a screen with 16:10 ratio, it could feel a little bit more sweet to have it's maximum resolution applied to the game. To me, resolution is way more important compared to the graphics - It makes everything a lot more good looking, even on the lowest graphical settings.
PS: kmaj is a grammarnazi
Bandage
[USAB] Member

Postby danhezee » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:51 pm

There will probably be a few more releases with the current engine. At a later unspecified date, we will release the opengl client to the masses.
danhezee
Site Admin

Postby Putin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:04 pm

Ah... men I really don't care for the graphics for me Aos graphic are good but open GL is still a very used(before) and good engine and will make much much more players play AoS.
I personally knew some guys who say Fu*k this look at the graphics and the block's turn the way you look" that will start playing if we get better graphics.
All in all open gl is very good but I'm not a graphics fanatic I'm more for new weapons and implementations.
AoS The worst game with the greatest potential .
Putin

Postby kmaj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Putin wrote:Ah... men I really don't care for the graphics for me Aos graphic are good but open GL is still a very used(before) and good engine and will make much much more players play AoS.
I personally knew some guys who say Fu*k this look at the graphics and the block's turn the way you look" that will start playing if we get better graphics.
All in all open gl is very good but I'm not a graphics fanatic I'm more for new weapons and implementations.

*blocks
I agree with you, though. dear Rogue Accent Russian
kmaj
[FF] Leader

Next

Return to Ace of Spades Discussion