Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Weapon balance thread

For all things AoS!

Re: Weapon balance thread

Postby Articsledder » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:25 am

IMO the only issue is combat goes by too quickly. Often when groups of 5 or more members of opposite teams meat one team is completely eliminated in less then a minute, instead of an intense firefight starting.

Basically , I feel rifle should be less "Accessible". The red dot on the Iron sights makes aiming a bit too obvious, and once someone has played maybe 10 games they become proficient with the rifle.

In the older days the old iron sights were crap, but still pinpoint. Basically Ben should remove the red dot on the iron sights, but still leave accuracy the same, so it increases the amount of time it takes for a new player to get accustomed to the iron sights, which would make the semi more of a semi, leaving the door open for a sniper rifle (Which I in no way support, as everyone would chose it)
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby ChaosTLW » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:00 am

Anyone could just mod the ironsights.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby Tek2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:06 am

Articsledder wrote:In the older days the old iron sights were crap, but still pinpoint. Basically Ben should remove the red dot on the iron sights, but still leave accuracy the same, so it increases the amount of time it takes for a new player to get accustomed to the iron sights, which would make the semi more of a semi

So you want pubs to suffer from not visiting the forums and downloading a sight which they might hate because of its looks, but it's needed to have any chance in competive games?
Tek2

Postby SIMOX » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am

I think that not the custom ironsights are the problem but the accuracy of the weapons itself. For example semi is deadly accurate even when running down the hill. Killed ppl few times like that.
Basically what i want to say:

> Weapons shouldn't be deadly accurate when not viewing through the ironsights. With semi it's just easy to kill ppl in close quarters when not looking down the ironsights.
> Weapons shouldn't be deadly accurate when moving. And you couldn't quick scope someone.
My all mods are Here. My first map is Here
Plays Ace of Spades since 2011 April 11 [0.21]
SIMOX

Postby Articsledder » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:49 am

Tek2 wrote:
Articsledder wrote:In the older days the old iron sights were crap, but still pinpoint. Basically Ben should remove the red dot on the iron sights, but still leave accuracy the same, so it increases the amount of time it takes for a new player to get accustomed to the iron sights, which would make the semi more of a semi

So you want pubs to suffer from not visiting the forums and downloading a sight which they might hate because of its looks, but it's needed to have any chance in competive games?

Your reading it wrong. Basically the iron sights are too easy to use. This would make it take a bit longer to get accustomed to the gun instead of being able to snipe right away.

I honestly wasn't opposed the the Rifle Cone from July, it made gunfights last longer. The only problem was it was random. Bullet Drop or wind or something would be great.

Everyone will hate me for this, but I honestly do not think fighting gameplay will not improve unless the rifle becomes hard to aim in some way, whether that means its not pinpoint anymore or if the iron sights become less specific.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby Daniella » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54 am

Ben already said we would be getting Pistols as side arms. Grenades not working in water should be a feature though. The guns are really good the way they are except I think all guns should get one hit kill for headshots.
Daniella
News Reporter

Postby Fluttershy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:48 am

Articsledder wrote:Everyone will hate me for this, but I honestly do not think fighting gameplay will not improve unless the rifle becomes hard to aim in some way, whether that means its not pinpoint anymore or if the iron sights become less specific.

I hate you for this.

The entire point of the rifle is accuracy, take that away and it has nothing.

Kristina wrote:Grenades not working in water should be a feature though. The guns are really good the way they are except I think all guns should get one hit kill for headshots.

pretty sure its always been grenades dont hurt in the water. and smg and shotty being one hit head shots is a terrible idea, especially shotgun, where you could get like 3 kills with one shot then.
Fluttershy

Postby Daniella » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:21 am

pretty sure its always been grenades dont hurt in the water. and smg and shotty being one hit head shots is a terrible idea, especially shotgun, where you could get like 3 kills with one shot then.

I thought we were going for realism. It isn't realistic to survive a point blank shot to the head...
Daniella
News Reporter

Postby Fluttershy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:26 am

Kristina wrote:I thought we were going for realism. It isn't realistic to survive a point blank shot to the head...

wait, AoS is realistic? whats your secret to holding 50 units of building material in every color imaginable the size of your head, a gun, a shovel, a shit load of ammo, and 3 grenades all at once and still being able to run, or move for that matter? oh, and being able to support skyscrapers on a small point in a corner the size of your head, that right there is an engineering phenomenon that the field could definitely benefit from.
Fluttershy

Postby Mio » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:37 am

Fluttershy wrote:
Kristina wrote:I thought we were going for realism. It isn't realistic to survive a point blank shot to the head...

wait, AoS is realistic? whats your secret to holding 50 units of building material in every color imaginable the size of your head, a gun, a shovel, a shit load of ammo, and 3 grenades all at once and still being able to run, or move for that matter? oh, and being able to support skyscrapers on a small point in a corner the size of your head, that right there is an engineering phenomenon that the field could definitely benefit from.

Geez Kristina. AOS don't realism since the player can't sprinting around.
Agreed with Fluttershy.
'On Jan 24th', Congress will vote to pass internet censorship in the Senate, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill the bill - PIPA and SOPA - to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity.
Mio

Postby mikuli » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Having a modicum of realism with the FPS-mechanics does not mean the whole game would have to be ultra-realistic. I'm going to say having ballistics and stuff wouldnt be that bad of an idea. Also, realism-wise, the rifle accuracy is just fine. Your usual engagement range is in the ballpark of 200 "meters", so a military standard-issue non-accurized rifle should have absolutely no problems with putting a bullet through a head. Then again, you should be lucky to even have effective range out to half of those ranges with a short-barrel low-power caliber SMG - nevermind a trench/shotgun with a full open choke and buckshot loadings.

Although, if you want really realistic FPS mechanics, book a flight to one of those crisis areas in, say, Africa and buy an AK for a few dollars. The respawn times are a bit long on their servers if you die, though.
Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne
Join me in Tribes: Ascend! IGN: Mikuli
mikuli
Retired Staff Member

Postby CommandoDude » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:45 pm

The rifle is still the best weapon in the game. Granted the recent patches at least allow the SMG to compete.

IMO all it would take to balance the rifle is to slightly decrease the clip size and lower the ROF. But especially lower the ROF, this would give the SMG and Shotgun the advantage at close range they deserve.

Frankly all this whining over the rifle is rediculous tbh, people keep saying if you reduce the accuracy of the rifle you "make it useless" which is just false. In COD the rifle was both inaccurate, low clip sized, and very slow ROF, but competed just fine with SMGs, Machine Guns, and Shotguns. Because when you used the iron sights it was very accurate and did a lot of damage per hit. Even if you got in close with an MG user, that doesn't mean you couldn't win if you jumped around trying to shoot and hoped you got lucky.
CommandoDude

Postby Daniella » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:23 am

Fluttershy wrote:

I never said the whole concept of AoS was realistic. I thought we were talking about the GUNS being more realistic. Y'know, the thing this thread is about? You know what I meant. If you really want to twist my words around then go ahead!
Daniella
News Reporter

Postby momoki » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:15 am

I think the rifle could be balanced by fixing headshots. At the moment, it is possible to score a headshot by aiming right beside the head and at the upper part of the body.
Taigar: [Clover5] Come and play with us at Sham's Little Pony :] We are always up for a challenge!
momoki

Postby BLACKSTAR » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:58 am

well i think the smg is a little over powered beacuase every server i go to every ones spaming smgs. it gets very rage inducing when it happens, maybe tweak down the power and up the rate of fire
IM AN OFFICAL BADDASS BLACK STAR OF EPIC DESTRUCTION,SO DONT MESS WITH ME OR GET A FREE BULLET IN YOUR HEAD
BLACKSTAR

PreviousNext

Return to Ace of Spades Discussion