Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Morality of an English proficiency test on server join

For all things AoS!

Morality of an English proficiency test on server join

Postby Dom » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:14 am

Hi.

So I've just setup a new server (Doms Experiments - Cheats4All) It lets people cheat. First people must enable cheats with /login cheater. Then they can use /fly /heal and /tp

The issue is, around 50% if not more of people that join, don't understand English. Because of this, they don't understand the cheats, start trying to say "hax" and eventually leave. If they don't do that, they repeatedly as "how cheat?" and I try my best to explain, but they can't understand.

The result is when the server is full (it's a 32 player server) only maybe 25% of users are actually using the cheats. Also, when it comes to a votekick, I find a lot of the people that don't understand or use the cheats don't partake in votekicks also.

So my pickle is basically people not understanding English really bringing down and ruining the server.

My first idea was just to quickly whack pygeoip on the server and block any non-English countries. But I know plenty of incredible skilled and eloquent English speaking players that live in non-English speaking countries and it would be unfair against them.

My solution is to write a small English proficiency test/Terms of Server script, where basically when a user connects, they are explained no cheats except the described ones, and if they understand say i understand. They say I understand, then they're prompted with how to use the cheats and how to activate them and then they must say okay.

If they don't do this within say a minute, then they get kicked off the server. Obviously there will be some that understand enough English to be able to pass the test, but not enough to actually understand how to use the cheats etc.

The downsides to this would be less players, and also it's slightly discriminatory. There's also the potential that 10 year old English kids might get confused and not be able to join (maybe this isn't a bad thing)
On the other hand, the vibe will be better because everyone will know what's going on and be able to talk to each other.

My left wing liberal hippy half is saying "surely they deserve a chance to experience this awesome cheating server" but my other half is saying "well I set this server up, it's an English server in England and I deserve to be able to have a good game without having to spend half the time trying to explain that people aren't hacking and they're using cheats which everyone can do, as well as, there's plenty of foreign speaking servers they could go and enjoy."

So what do you all think - is it immoral or wrong for me to have a small English proficiency test?
Dom

Re: Morality of an English proficiency test on server join

Postby USABxBOOYO » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:35 am

It definitely isn't immoral and is actually a good idea. It's a much better alternative to banning entire nations, as some servers have been forced to do.
USABxBOOYO
Global Moderator

Postby EldredChandler » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:33 pm

USABxBOOYO wrote:It definitely isn't immoral and is actually a good idea. It's a much better alternative to banning entire nations, as some servers have been forced to do.

Plus, caring about morality is for losers. If they want to play on an english server they should speak the language to a small extent.
[12:01] <+Kodiak> I'm a homosexual
EldredChandler
Bastion Warden

Postby tunaspirit » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Screw moralfaggotry.
There are plenty of servers of their country (probably) if they want to talk in their languages.
Besides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EeFa8QOq_Y
[18:33] <+boolface> hey guys imma releqase 0.76 now
[18:34] <+Ethoslab> TheGrandmaster hey do you have any idea when updates gona come
[18:34] <+gen_applejack> now
[18:34] <+gen_applejack> as boolface told us
tunaspirit

Postby HoboHob » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:34 pm

I think this would be a good idea.

Love the server BTW.
HoboHob

Return to Ace of Spades Discussion