Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

[RANT] Clans

For all things AoS!

[RANT] Clans

Postby 9001 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:02 am

Now hear me out first before I get spammed or yelled at by mods and other people. THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON CLANS AND NOT A CAPTIOUS THREAD. THE AUTHOR OF THIS POST IS NOT BELLIGERENT NOR ARE HIS INTENTIONS POLEMICAL. This will be a post far from cordial, neither will it be mundane. Instead, this will be verbose and garrulous... so if you don't understand this first paragraph... stop reading. Do keep in mind the intentions of this post is not to be cantankerous but rather to mollify my feelings about this game that I have recently come to terms with.

I have come under fire recently because of my opinions and views about clans. AND NO, I DO NOT HAVE PROOF THAT THIS ARGUMENT EXISTED NOR WILL I BE ABLE TO PROVIDE ANY OF THE CONVERSATION. First and foremost, I would like to commemorate this sentence to the admins for policing the forums and any other staff that have put any time into making this such an understandable community, and not to mention the developers for this game, that is constantly evolving and appealing to more and more people. Before you think my post is very presumptuous, I alone stand by this argument. Any others who agree with this do so at their own discretion. I do believe clans are very beneficial. But I think they are very unnecessary. The reason stands is that the majority of clans I have been in myself are statwhores. Pardon the profanity, but I do believe any kids reading this have walked away after the second post The main reason clans go out and recruit is because they like to start them young. It gives them reason to play the game. Of course, I already disagree with this because people should play the game for fun, not to improve their clan. Of course you can play for both reasons, but at least give the people not interested in clans some space without having to rub clans all over their face. Enough of the opening statement.

To begin, I would like to enlighten you, the reader, that I have come under fire for having mocked the clans. Refer to above if you want "pics or it didn't happen". While this particular combatant in war is very reputable in their own clan, I myself would like to note this person is not as friendly as they seem. After a bit of friendly fooling around and killing, I decided to poke fun at the person. This in turn makes the person very upset. My intentions were of no maliciousness nor have they ever been. While being in a bit of a quagmire, this person decides to swing down their power hammer of clanhood. This person does make valid arguments about clans (which was not very voluminous in quantity) the only part I did not like was the fact the clan leader looked down upon me for having such an immature handle and perspective.

First off, is a single player no less greater than a clan leader? I believe yes. Everyone has a power of which they hold and are allowed to be heard. Not one clan leader is allowed to shun a person for having not been in a clan for the duration of their gaming time in this fabulous game. While said person is swinging around their power, being very egocentric that they hold a clan position, they have claimed that I am less significant than he himself. (I don't care if it's he or she, according to Strunk and White in their Elements of Style, if one uses one in their writing, it is suggested he uses he as a replacement for one. But this precisely resides in the author himself.) That very much upsets me. Simply because I have poked a bit of fun at this person does not mean they get to go around saying that clan leaders and their opinions as well as actions are much more significant than that of a lone wolf. He has even gone as far as threaten me with such words of shaming me from playing for having disrespected clans. I have only said clans were useless and that almost everyone in those are simply statwhores. These clans stand simply because of member count as well as servers participation. Of course clans may be used to unite friends but of course I shall go into detail on that particular subject later. I believe that everyone should be allowed to be heard and not be shunned because of their mere existence and disbeliefs in clans. Everyone, including that of which beginners, players, trolls, clan members, and all of that which constitutes a game. It is not acceptable, and I hope I am not alone, that clan leaders should have more power than that of a lone wolf within a server, which is not even run by that particular clan master.

The issue of names arise currently in my mind. I find it acceptable that you have slapped on a clan name next to your name. However, had I not poked fun at this particular person, how would one have known one is a clan master? Would you go around playing as [CLAN] RANDOM NAME_CLANMASTER? Of course not. I do have respect that you can tolerate operating a clan, but do not use it as leverage against someone that you view as a lesser rank and inferior being. What kind of question is "have you ever operated a clan before?"? While a serious question, I believe everyone should be given their space.

Hey, you stepped on that guy's shoe first!
Contrary, this person had decided to poke fun at me first. Unable to provide evidence, so go away and stop soliciting evidence of said conversation. Continuing on the argument of names, should one be shunned simply because he has a dumb username? No. Especially when you try to use it as evidence that my arguments and beliefs are much less significant and hold less meaning than yours. Simply because one is uncreative does not mean that he does not hold a plethora of emotions, thoughts, statements, beliefs, opinions, and is very effervescent. Simply because you have a clan tag in your name should not warrant that you have more power than those around you in the server.

Now, for the counterarguments. First and foremost, I would like to congratulate you for having read this much. I hope that this post has definitely expanded your knowledge. You are very benevolent with your time. On topic. Clans are very much useful. You can form one with friends. You can form one with internet friends. You can come together for one purpose. However, just because you have formed one doesn't mean you should be given more say than those who do not wish to. Take for instance Ethoslab. This is a man who does not go around announcing who he is in allegiance to. Merely because he does not take any friends for granted does not mean he has any. In fact, people should not feel pressured that they have to say who their friends are, or have to end up making a clan. I believe friends should be allowed to wander as they please, make friends with whom they will, and of the such. Of course, that does not stop you form making a clan, but I believe that it is not strength in numbers or the fact that you can hold a clan. Take for instance the creatures. They do not go around parading that they are in some bond. Nor do they uphold the fact that they are the creatures that they have more say. The only time they have shunned people are those who have done wrong. In fact, they act like the fact they are internet celebrities do not let them see almost everyone around them as inferior.

Now, for what I have said. I will not back down the fact that I have claimed in-game that clans are useless. They are useless in that they should not be used as signs of power. As I have said in several servers, it is not the team that makes man good. It's man that makes the team good. I should not be shunned for having not joined any particular clans nor have distaste in clans. I do hope that you, the reader, do feel moved by this post. If not oh well. Pretty much, the reason why I have written such a long post is:

tl;dr go back and read it you. It's much more meaningful if you understand my whole argument.

Now go and play the game. And don't feel compliant toward my post or my hatred toward clans. Remember, the whole thing is whether or not a clan master should have more say than individuals on anything. This is simply my way of assuaging my recent feelings. And any mods eyeing this post, do not feel threatened. This is my merely bringing up the subject that such negativity towards the people, who do not like clans warranting people get more power than those who aren't in clans, actually exist within this community. And you, clanmaster... if you are reading this... you should not threaten people that you are a clan master and therefore hold a position much higher than myself. I have held administrative positions before and I believe my opinions and arguments are allowed to be heard. In no way have my being indifferent changed my views of anyone in particular as my time holding administrative power. Do not shun those who are uncreative and obviously do not agree with what you stand for, which is he who holds a clan with more members holds more power.

As I approach the milestone of having spent an hour on writing this, I'd like to thank you for your time. And note: certainly because I have a notoriously dull name, that does not mean I am worthless as an individual. Oh, and if this doesn't belong here, then I don't know where. Hopefully it does belong somewhere, I hope this community allows for one to vent off such feelings that one holds after being shunned. This does look like a nice community.

Re: [RANT] Clans

Postby mikuli » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:36 am

This should be a mandatory read with a test afterwards for fledgling to-be clan leaders - being a part of subcommunity doesn't really elevate your status over others. Rather, it let's you enjoy different aspects of gameplay - the ones you cannot see in random public games. Yes, I am biased, having been a member of the so called "clan scene" of this game for quite a long time.

You put a lot of thought and time into this, and while it's a good read, I cannot help but to ask just how a faceless stranger on the internet managed to get you worked up enough to produce this - even though an hour is not such a long while spent writing.
Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne
Join me in Tribes: Ascend! IGN: Mikuli
mikuli
Retired Staff Member

Postby Defaulter » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:07 am

I find myself somewhat agree'ing with the OP's sentiments. He (Im presuming he, forgive me if Im wrong) he poses some interesting points, and has a valid opinion. For which I commend him.

I run a clan, yeh. And for me it's about forming a group of friends, a community. We do play competitively, it's something we do to bond, like chatting on irc and mumble. We contribute what we can to the community by running a server, playing matches against the forum team (non-members) and now using our server to run inter-forums events (blue vs green, in the events section).

Regrettably there are Im sure clans and clan leaders as you just described. When the leader has certain flaws of personality and character (which we all do) sometimes they grow to be reflected in the clan they created. And what you have experienced is I feel, a matter of poor leadership teaching poor morals etc to the clans members.

------------------

tl;dr: I somewhat agree. Clan leaders/creators must understand that creating/being in a clan gives them no greater standing then a non-member. It doesn't make them right or just or important. And I hope OP, that you have better experiences with clan members in future.

Luckily I find running and growing a clan to be a introspective experience. And it can help work on flaws in the character of it's creator, so maybe you will bump into that same guy a few weeks/months from now and maybe he would have improved.

Either way, thanks for the thread. I found it quite interesting.
Defaulter
Bastion Warden

Postby ChaosTLW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 am

That was... quite a read. I agree with mikuli, should be mandatory reading it.
I somewhat agree with you. I, specially, because I have never been into any clan at all.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:22 am

I mostly agree with this, especially that no clan leader should be acting like this, but I can't imagine any major clan doing this. Sound much more like a small clan type of thing where they don't understand the power that comes with clans and where it can be applied. However, i do have to say that being in a clan is preferable, in my opinion, after spending 1.5 years not in one.

Also, might want to take the vocabulary requirements down a notch.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby ReubenMcHawk » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:23 am

You're my new favorite poster on these boards.
Hi I'm Reuben, I make YouTube videos sometime.
I also make music.
I lead {RoT} the best clan ever. PM me for IRC info to come chill with kool kidz.
fite me noob
ReubenMcHawk

Postby USABxBOOYO » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:33 am

I'm assuming this person was one of the leaders of the numerous "small clans", 90% of which are led by people who are only looking to inflate their online ego. You shouldn't really give any thought to these people, most of them are 11 years old and probably wouldn't get past the first sentence.
USABxBOOYO
Global Moderator

Postby Ultrayoshi49 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:38 am

This needs to be stickied on the clans board. It needs to be read by all the dumbass small clan leaders that think they're better than god or something. Also what Booyo said. The bigger clans don't really start problems like this
[21:31] <+fLaMeOnCrack> Tell DE I'm sorry for insulting his greatness and if allowed, I would be happy to kiss his ass
Ultrayoshi49
Komrade Member

Postby LASTofS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:40 am

I'd doubt they would continue reading after the second sentence. They wouldn't understand the language.

Also, TL;DR would be nice.
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby Ultrayoshi49 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:53 am

LASTofS wrote:I'd doubt they would continue reading after the second sentence. They wouldn't understand the language.

Also, TL;DR would be nice.

Exactly, you need an IQ of atleast 110 to be elligble to run a clan successfully. If you knew what the hell you were doing, you would read it.
[21:31] <+fLaMeOnCrack> Tell DE I'm sorry for insulting his greatness and if allowed, I would be happy to kiss his ass
Ultrayoshi49
Komrade Member

Postby Afrodude4 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:15 am

If this were to be made mandatory for clan leaders, the reading level would definitely need to be adjusted. Many of them can't read above a 5th grade level.
Representing Jamaica Power

Afrodude4

I had not expected much support

Postby 9001 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:28 am

I do agree that the vocabulary is very unnecessary and high in surplus. I had to get the message across, had said person was reading this, that I am not as immature as I seem. While I do know and am aware that this thread typically applies to the ordinary clan, my only intent was to create a better community, one that would appreciate the clans more often and those who aren't in clans. I simply am not advocating that the clans should be policed. However, I am not capable of deciding whether or not all clan leaders should undergo leadership evaluation. I do not doubt the majority start up clans for good reasons. However, if such needs arise, I do believe that some clans should undergo a background check. Yet again, that is simply belief and should not be held accountable for all of my actions and the wishes of the admins.

I do thank you all for your support, but do keep in mind that my particular aims were to make the community appreciate the good more than the bad. Especially when most of them are not aware such feelings of negligence and distrust of many small players are around. Perhaps then do they realize that not all is as it seems. However, when you do play, it does give you a better experience knowing that there are others who realize that these clans are not to be used to compensate for authority.

And about not letting some small troll or the like annoy you on the internet thing, it was not annoyance I had felt. It was more of a disrespect I felt. And besides, said belligerent threatened to post a screenie of my saying that clans are useless and report me to admins of the forums simply because they translated that to I mocking the excellent job the admins here do. Threats are not to be taken lightly.

Postby Pavel » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Old school gender like the old school :)

You're my new favorite poster as well.
[18:05:37] <+mikuli> i'll never get over the fact that Doc is ex Bi
Pavel
Komrade Member

Postby HoboHob » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Good post dear sir!
HoboHob

Postby Sniper101 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:42 pm

I'l print your essay out and try to finish it in a few days or so.
ImageImage
Sniper101
[DELTA] Member

Next

Return to Ace of Spades Discussion