Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

why no one builds

For all things AoS!

Re: why no one builds

Postby Tai » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:39 am

Floob wrote:Conflicting opinions prevail.

Some players grief with buildings. By placing not useful structures in random places on the battlefield. Some think they are helping. But really there are only helping opposing team by providing cover.

Some players think this should be a guns only game. Out of resentment they will grief your builds down. They want to dictate your play style.

Some griefers are just dickheads giving themselves lulz.

Some players are using this game as a MC alternative. They are not contributing to there teams win.

So many reasons to grief and be griefed.

My sniper wall may be your obstruction.
Tai's War Academy

IrishElf wrote:How is camping a problem...? AoS is essentially Counter Sniper: The Game.
Tai

Postby jdrewlowery » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:30 am

this is the problem with all the new players that come from youtube aos isnt cod we arent gonna put atackdogs in aos . the mods need to stop greifers better . i do use this game as a minecraft alternative but i play minecraft too .
I'm nooby and i know it
jdrewlowery
[SPQR] Member

Postby lehma18 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:35 am

Because it get's griefed in two minutes. I still build basic walls, 3 high with a platform in the teams side. It's actually pretty decent piece of shizle, slows down blues and it can be modified pretty easily. Avoid building team-colored blocks, they attract griefers. Avoid building fancy looking stuff. Make them out of the boring gray sement blocks and make them look ugly, and your structures might last for a couple of minutes. Building was actually my favourite part of the game, but i've had to let it go because of griefers.
"Killing is just one of those things that gets easier the more you do it"- Solid Snake
"I did what i was told to do, the best i could." - Simo Häyhä, legendary finnish sniper.
lehma18

Postby Arilarin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Well- Usually players are divided into player 'stereotypical' groups.
Examples:
Combat Enginer
Sniper
Grenader
Griefer
Commander.
IGN: DarkSoul X
That's all, folks!
Arilarin

Postby thrillhouse » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:03 pm

Because all the pre-made maps are already filled with bunkers and houses and things that you can hide behind, there's no reason to build shit. Plus you can move around much faster now, first it was the auto-climb and then sprinting. When you had to hop up each block on gen maps, it was a necessity to make forts and pathways, because a) it took a long time to get to the battlezone, which is why b) you wanted to stay safe and alive so you don't have to crawl all the way back again. There's barely any organized teamwork either, getting the intel is more like a side activity for one or two guys, the rest just head somewhere to frag some charlies or dig the ground full of holes. And when they build, it's useless shit in useless places. Like, you head towards the enemy and there's no kind of defenses, but back in the base it's like a rainbow had explosive diarrhea.
thrillhouse

Postby Doomblade187 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:43 am

I've only been playing a few days, and on a small variety of maps, but I've noticed that the more constricted a map is, the more team buildings there are, while on the larger maps (i.e. not hallway), there's mainly foxholes and the occasional bunker. Teamwork is rare- that is one thing I'd like to see improve. In addition to actually kicking hackers.
Doomblade187

Postby Funk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:30 am

maps choke points tend to be the first thing to be built near.
look at pinpoint when it is full and has good builder on both sides you get great buildings.

speed of ranged block removeing has gone up like mad mosty due to the smg.
if you had to get up close then building then gerfing is harder.
if all guns did no damge to buildings then we can build knowing that is not going to be griefed by some on on your side with a smg for the luz.

maps need time to get fully built on and if it resets every 30mins im not going to build a tunnel network.

(no one builds real tunnel networks anymore, just short crapy 2 high lenths)
Funk

Postby jdrewlowery » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:15 am

Funk wrote:maps choke points tend to be the first thing to be built near.
look at pinpoint when it is full and has good builder on both sides you get great buildings.

speed of ranged block removeing has gone up like mad mosty due to the smg.
if you had to get up close then building then gerfing is harder.
if all guns did no damge to buildings then we can build knowing that is not going to be griefed by some on on your side with a smg for the luz.

maps need time to get fully built on and if it resets every 30mins im not going to build a tunnel network.

(no one builds real tunnel networks anymore, just short crapy 2 high lenths)

im with you on that
I'm nooby and i know it
jdrewlowery
[SPQR] Member

Postby Floob » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:23 am

Funk wrote:no one builds real tunnel networks anymore, just short crapy 2 high lenths)

Just want to comment on last line, as I agree for the most part with your opinions above it. Anyway just wanted to clarify, a difference. For the folks whom may not know.

1). TRENCHES: I hope my 2 high zig-zag trenches are not being confused as tunnels. They are not meant to hide your movements. This is why they are 2 high. So that I can stop and snipe while moving across the map at a high rate of speed. While scanning the battlefield for the enemy. Also they Zig-Zag to add confusion to the enemy. If I need to duck to reload I want to pop up at an unexpected location. I consider it griefed when a team mate alters my trench, into a tunnel, that I dug initially.

2). TUNNELS: I prefer and build mine 3 high and covered, also 2 blocks wide. I build them like that when appropriate. I use tunnels to move very quickly into deep enemy territory. 2 Blocks wide leaves some room to build some defenses into the tunnel, it also discourages griefers from attempting to back fill. Actual 2 high covered tunnels stink. You can not move to avoid enemy fire.

3). SNIPER NETWORK: I still build fairly elaborate tunnel and sniper networks. Not so much in size but designed to really only be useful to my side (one-way). I don't share these with my team until enemy has discovered them first. I find I can do more damage to enemy if they are kept private as long as possible. I will usually build 2 to 3 separate systems. So that I can switch between them when 1 is discovered. I love to leave a enemy waiting forever to ambush me in 1 of the tunnels. :)

4). FORTS: I used to months ago and on rare occasion now. Build extremely large base forts. I like seeing how massive it can get and how well it can stand up to enemy and griefer pounding. A large base can symbolize team might. It is unfortunate but, we seem to have far more home team griefers then contributors these days. I have had a lot of fun in the past building massive and intimidating useful structures. With the help of like minded teams mates. Epic structures where built on GH on a regular basis. But GH had a lot of admins protecting us. It is really fun to see just how elaborate and massive you can build. While still allowing viable defense. In a hail of gunfire. Sure I am dying a whole lot, but I am building something useful on an epic scale.

I became ultimately discouraged from building those for a different reason then you might think. It was not the griefers. I stopped building massive forts because of the 3+ high crowd. We kept losing are forts to the enemy because the back line rainbow house people, feel more safe and cozy if the front wall is 3 or more high. They have the false notion that if they cant see the enemy they will be safe. Ultimately they where providing safe cover to the enemy to reach are front buffering walls. And blocking there own team from defending effectively. In a sense griefing while believing they where actually helping. For me it was my own team night after night, seemingly unable to understand basic defense strategy.

Tons of good strategy ideas are here in the forum, often front page. Seems the people that need to read, don't. Also too many builders will not fight front line, so they don't seem to learn important strategy the hard way either.

Anyway singing to the choir again. sorry!

TL:DR Trenches are not tunnels. If you don't know how to effectively defend. you should not be building. Read Tai's thread.
Quote from Sanchez:
"Marshal I have seen better shooting at the county fair"
Floob

Postby TBS » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Whenever someone starts building, people start bashing them and tells them that "this is not minecraft".
TBS
Bastion Member

Postby HoboHob » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:37 pm

I know a solution to griefing and not building:

REMOVE ALL BUILDING RIGHTS!

This way we don't have any problesm
HoboHob

Postby jdrewlowery » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:49 pm

HoboHob wrote:I know a solution to griefing and not building:

REMOVE ALL BUILDING RIGHTS!

This way we don't have any problesm

then people would just greif more
I'm nooby and i know it
jdrewlowery
[SPQR] Member

Postby thrillhouse » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:16 pm

TBS wrote:Whenever someone starts building, people start bashing them and tells them that "this is not minecraft".

Yeah, when you just stay on your team's half of the map and build some stupid acid-induced house for the whole round. Make an intel tower or get to frontline to build some cover.

And to all the people who feel the need to cover the fucking tent or bury it underground where no one can get to it, stop that shit. It doesn't help in any way. At all. Just stop.
thrillhouse

Postby NoOne » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Come on Stop saying stuffs about me!!!!
NoOne

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:51 pm

sometimes i build, and when i do, i get asked about how i can place blocks at the speed of sound.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ace of Spades Discussion