Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Grenade-building tutorial

For all things AoS!

Grenade-building tutorial

Postby gusv150 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:15 pm

1. Introduction

After half a year playing AoS I realized that building good fortification in the front lines is really hard because allways during the building process I get shot. So I decided to look for a safer way to build good defenses in an hostile area so I came up with the grenade-building. in this tutorial ill show you how to use this method and 2 possible buildings you can build with it.

2. How it works

Stage I

Throw a grenade on the place you want to build your fortification on. (Hide in a secured place until the grenade explodes)

Stage II

Jump quickly into the crater and build this wall in front of it, facing the direction the enemies might come. (With camouflage of course)

Those two stages together take less than 4 seconds. (if you use click+drag)
much quicker then starting to place blocks for walls. its also much less bold because from the outside it looks like its a one block high wall.

3. The Idea behind the method

The moment you most likely die in during building When you start - When you place or dig the first blocks because there is no wall yet to protect you from snipers

My method covers that problem by getting into a 2 block high hideout very quickly.

4. Advanced fortifications

Well, after you complete building the hole you are secured when crouched. but shooting from it can be very dangerous. Here are some possible buildings that you can continue with after completing the pit

1. Foxhole

The most basic structure after the pit itself. it gives a bit bigger defense by blocking shots that might come from the side.

how to build:

Stage I

add "arms" to the basic structure. they will block some of the shots that come from the sides

Benefits:
    1. Easy to build
    2. Covers a bit better from shots then the basic form
    3. Does not bold in the battlefield

Drawbacks:
    1. easy to destroy
    2. easy to hit the person inside when he is firing
    3. grenades can easily find their way into the building

2. Firing window

More advanced form of the foxhole. Now the shooter has protection from the sides even when he isn't crouched and and from enemies that are higher then him.

(You start building from the foxhole form)

Stage I

Build higher walls in the sides

Stage II

Add those 2 blocks (You will need to jump)

Stage III

Add the top blocks. they will block shots that comes from enemies that are higher then you.

Benefits:
    1. Covers your head and your sides, even when you shoot

Drawbacks:
    When SMG users will spot the structure they will spray the hell out of it, and you with it

3. Pillbox - By Eagle7

Small Bunker, shooter will be crouched all time. All sides are 100% covered. Great structure for flat maps.

(You start from the foxhole form)

Stage I

Add one more row of blocks to the front wall.

Stage II

Complete the roof to gain some cover from grenades.

Stage III

Create the firing hole. This is where you will shoot from.

Benefits:
    1. Shooter must be crouched - less recoil and more easy to snipe.
    2. Got roof - Grenade protection.
    3. 1 block shorter then the "Firing window" - Drags less attention of SMG users

Drawbacks:
    1. Since you must stay crouched at all time in the structure. taking cover is slightly more difficult.
    Instead of "Hit N Crouch" technique you will need to move to the walls in the sides of the firing position.
    2. The shooter inside the building got very bad visibility on the battlefield
    3. One man at a time or each shooter will block the other

thats my first tutorial so what do you think?
Last edited by gusv150 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
gusv150
[DELTA] Member

Re: Grenade-building tutorial

Postby Pavel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:38 pm

This is one of the first innovative building techniques I've seen in a while.

Nice job!
[18:05:37] <+mikuli> i'll never get over the fact that Doc is ex Bi
Pavel
Komrade Member

Postby Benton » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Are you going to do a video on this? Or should I? I would credit you with the original idea and design.
Benton

Postby gusv150 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Benton wrote:Are you going to do a video on this? Or should I? I would credit you with the original idea and design.

Sure feel free :D
gusv150
[DELTA] Member

Postby MrHank » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:13 am

dont forget right-click to drag and place blocks. this makes building much faster
MrHank

Postby Fett316 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:31 am

Does standing up not compromise the accuracy of your weapon? I know squatting increases the accuracy of the SMG, but what about the rifle?

Great tutorial nonetheless.
http://www.maverickmods.zxq.net/

I will NOT join your clan!!

Fett316

Postby gusv150 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:50 am

Fett316 wrote:Does standing up not compromise the accuracy of your weapon? I know squatting increases the accuracy of the SMG, but what about the rifle?

I always built my walls 2 blocks high and I didn't experience any lack of accuracy

thx for all the others!
gusv150
[DELTA] Member

Postby Tai » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:50 am

Good tutorial; bad concept.

If you're in a situation where you really can't afford the time to dig out nine blocks, you should be shooting back or digging straight down, not building a very visible and easily destructible bunker.
Tai's War Academy

IrishElf wrote:How is camping a problem...? AoS is essentially Counter Sniper: The Game.
Tai

Postby gusv150 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:02 am

Tai wrote:Good tutorial; bad concept.

If you're in a situation where you really can't afford the time to dig out nine blocks, you should be shooting back or digging straight down, not building a very visible and easily destructible bunker.

I hate digging down, I always get stuck above ground and get shot. About shooting back, its probably the most rational solution. But my tutorial is not used for counter-attack on campers. its more for a fast draw structures so you will be the guy who shoots first. about how its visible, you can adjust the structure for your present needs. If you have the time you can build a whole bunker, but if you are in a hostile area a small unseen foxhole will be your choice.
gusv150
[DELTA] Member

Postby Tai » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:10 am

Again; The only time you'd need to rush yourself so much would be when under fire. The issue is that the building gives a finite area to direct the fire (IE you become largely immobile). If you want to build a foxhole behind enemy lines, letting off a grenade is not a stealthy way to do so.

If you want to be the guy who shoots first, shoot first, don't throw a grenade... actually, in hindsight, it's a very bad idea for the purposes of speed, because you have to take cover to avoid getting killed by your own grenade.

I hear you on the digging straight down stuff, I usually get killed. Better solution is to look for an airstrike crater and try to dig down on one of the corners there.
Tai's War Academy

IrishElf wrote:How is camping a problem...? AoS is essentially Counter Sniper: The Game.
Tai

Postby Varun » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:14 am

Well, its a good tutorial, but I always thought that the grenade-wall-hole thing was common knowledge. I use it as often as I can, especially on maps where you can't dig far. I usually just place a couple of blocks for the situation at hand. I don't actually think about design before hand, since the battlefield and the situation is changing often. I usually go with the flow when it comes to building.

But its not a great thing to do when enemies are around. And its pretty dangerous as far as self-preservation goes.
Varun
{RS} Leader

Location: Burnie, Tasmania, Australia, where I will be in my bed from 0000 to 1300.

Postby gusv150 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:26 am

Tai wrote:Again; The only time you'd need to rush yourself so much would be when under fire. The issue is that the building gives a finite area to direct the fire (IE you become largely immobile). If you want to build a foxhole behind enemy lines, letting off a grenade is not a stealthy way to do so.

If you want to be the guy who shoots first, shoot first, don't throw a grenade... actually, in hindsight, it's a very bad idea for the purposes of speed, because you have to take cover to avoid getting killed by your own grenade.

I hear you on the digging straight down stuff, I usually get killed. Better solution is to look for an airstrike crater and try to dig down on one of the corners there.

Lets say, I play in a flat map. (Pinpoint2, randomXXXXX and other maps like those) When I reach the center of the map where all the fights usually are, I have two options. one- to keep walking and getting deeper to the enemy territory, or, to snipe other people who get this area. Lets say I want to camp and then I got 3 more options
1. To hide behind a hill- fast solution but not so effective. The hill you you hide behind will never have the perfect shape for good shooting angle and will protect you good.
2. To start building a fortification- takes about 8 seconds to build a foxhole block-by-block, and until you finish you are very vulnerable.
3. My option, throw a grenade from a safe place, wait until it explodes, jump in the crater and place that wall with the drag option.

I liked your idea to look for an airstrike crater but the chance that you'll find a crater that is just close enough and on a flat area is very low
3. T
gusv150
[DELTA] Member

Postby AlexKirchu » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:19 am

gusv150 wrote:Lets say, I play in a flat map. (Pinpoint2, randomXXXXX and other maps like those) When I reach the center of the map where all the fights usually are, I have two options. one- to keep walking and getting deeper to the enemy territory, or, to snipe other people who get this area. Lets say I want to camp and then I got 3 more options
1. To hide behind a hill- fast solution but not so effective. The hill you you hide behind will never have the perfect shape for good shooting angle and will protect you good.
2. To start building a fortification- takes about 8 seconds to build a foxhole block-by-block, and until you finish you are very vulnerable.
3. My option, throw a grenade from a safe place, wait until it explodes, jump in the crater and place that wall with the drag option.

Nice tutorial, it's definitely an innovative idea that I wouldn't have thought of.

However, I question the practicality.

On a map such as Pinpoint 2, or Hillside or whatever, where the terrain is fairly flat but there are some natural hilly covers, why wait for a grenade to blow a 1 deep hole in the ground and still risk being shot before placing your first line of blocks? You could just crouch behind a 1 block high hilltop, place a row of blocks in the direction of the enemy that covers you when you crouch, and dig your way in.

Or you could just build a 2 by 2 block high wall and crouch behind it for initial cover. Quite sufficient and quick, often successful too.
My Mods: http://tinyurl.com/753jhup
More Teams Suggestion Thread: http://tinyurl.com/8xl89ry - Show your support, vote YES =D
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/KirchuAlex253?feature=mhee
AlexKirchu

Postby ChaosTLW » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Fett316 wrote:Does standing up not compromise the accuracy of your weapon? I know squatting increases the accuracy of the SMG, but what about the rifle?

Crouching does not change the accuracy neither on the rifle or the SMG, it just decreases the recoil in both.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby Moghard » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:52 pm

I was using this method in 0.70

I feel like you stole it from me :P
Moghard

Location: In a dimension, where i live with other mighty Dwarves and eat lots of kaymak.

Next

Return to Ace of Spades Discussion