Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Tai's War Academy

For all things AoS!

Re: Tai's War Academy

Postby Tai » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:51 am

Danke wrote:In most non-gen maps, I still think this is one of the most important buildings for rifle players:
http://i.imgur.com/jUWiA.jpg
It's very weak against SMGs, but only if they know you are there. Also, it doesn't look very pretty.
I think it's probably most useful on pinpoint.

Yes, I've used this several times as well as in hallway however I wasn't sure how I would go about explaining it. I'll consider trying to add it in V1.1
Tai's War Academy

IrishElf wrote:How is camping a problem...? AoS is essentially Counter Sniper: The Game.
Tai

Postby Articsledder » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:06 am

Danke wrote:In most non-gen maps, I still think this is one of the most important buildings for rifle players:
It's very weak against SMGs, but only if they know you are there. Also, it doesn't look very pretty.

Shh. Don't let that secret get out.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby Tai » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:42 am

Articsledder wrote:

Shh. Don't let that secret get out.

Wouldn't matter anyhow. It's bloody impossible to check every crack in the map.
Tai's War Academy

IrishElf wrote:How is camping a problem...? AoS is essentially Counter Sniper: The Game.
Tai

Postby Suhler » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:28 am

It's even better 2 sided.... they really can't see a thing. When you incorporate it into a wall in an unsuspecting spot, WHAMMY! Instant perfect camping spot.

<pyspades> <USABxSUHLER> the website is experiencing some problems....
<pyspades> <USABxSUHLER> like my spelling
<+buttbot> .USABxSUHLER: like my butt
Suhler
[USAB] Member

Postby DarkDXZ » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:26 pm

I guess War Academy is happy...

Also, Tai, what happened to your Map Guides thread? I saw it few days ago, but now it went "Poof!"...
Are you discontinuing it?
"The last thing I want to do is to hurt you. But it's still on the list." - DarkDXZ
You found my secret signature line, damnit! Alright, Polaks are bad, I admit. But it's not their fault.
DarkDXZ

Postby Tai » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 pm

DarkDXZ wrote:I guess War Academy is happy...

Also, Tai, what happened to your Map Guides thread? I saw it few days ago, but now it went "Poof!"...
Are you discontinuing it?

I never did post a map guide... I'm working on Version 1.1 of the War Academy (although I probably won't even stick around if the game is changed as drastically as is planned for .75). If the updates aren't put into place, I probably will work on a map guide or two, but after having done the War Academy I'm reconsidering how much work I want to be investing into individual map guides.
Tai's War Academy

Tai

Postby CalenLoki » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Interesting thread. I'll go build my own GH1 design (really extensively tested) and post screens.

EDIT. ok, here is it.

1. What makes a wall "your wall". If it's just straight line, both sides can use it just as effectively. Because of that, I decided to design structure that will allow me to make wall mine, so enemies will have really hard time using it.

2. Principle: you have to shot at them from side. They don't look there, and don't have any cover from you. You need to simply add "bastion" at side and enjoy shooting. Something like this:

Code: Select all
-------                                ENEMY                           --------
|     |                                                                |       |
       -----------------------------------------------------------------

YOUR TEAM

3. My design. It's made to be built on the first line, under moderately-heavy fire (anything besides extensive jackhammering), and it's designed for long lasting, single man defence. Total block count is around 150, but it's already really usable after 40.
-everything is made out of camouflage blocks, colours are just for this guide.
-bastion must touch the water, so enemy can't use it as cover, and can go around it.
-it must be opened to your side, so enemy can't use it. If someone closes it, he's either enemy, griefer or noob - remove those blocks.
-You start with jumping above your wall, running for about 10 blocks (most dangerous part) and making 3-high, 1- thick, 7-long wall. This wal will helps you later repair front of tower (without exposing yourself) and gives additional protection against jackhammering/cutting down. Now you should be protected from direct firing snipers, and can proceed to next stages.
-Now you make wall that gives you cover required to shoot any enemy who tries to use your wall. It extends 7 blocks from wall Your bastion is already usable, and you have few blocks left. Spend them, defend for some time, and after you die and respawn with new blocks continue building.
-Make wall from the water. It's there to prevent enemy from jumping into water then inside your bunker (efectively ambushing you from behind while you defend). It also support upper level.
-make a roof (6x10)
-those two blocks, along with two blocks removed from celling allows you to build wall on top of the roof with exposig yourself only for split of second
-Make wall on upper floor, starting as described above. Wall is 3-high from front, 2-high 5-long on side-front and 1-high on side-back
-make stairs as extension of water-wall. They need to be on the water-line, so enemy can't use them as cover when they capture your bastion.
-that elevated floor (3x5) is to allow your teammates to shot at front. It's pretty stupid tactics (they have whole fucking wall to do that, while bastion is most exposed), but if you don't let them, they'll make hole that'll make you killed. It also helps against jackhammering.
-[WHITE] That small wall (2x3) is to protect you against jackhammering. Enemy tend to stop shooting when they see front wall turned into Swiss cheese, so bastion don't loose any efectivness even when enemy think it's destryed.
-That above-water extension (5x2, with 1-high wall) is only part coloured as water, not grass. It allows you to clear the near-water path that enemy use to assault your forification.

Now how to use it: you stay at lower roof
-if enemy is actively attacking, crouch and aim at those hugging/approaching at wall. If they spot you, ignore them, and move to above-water position to check if anyone is going this way. After few seconds you can get back to primary position - most people already got bored and will ignore you again.
-if there is stalemate, and neither team is attacking, you stand up and use (white and yellow) 2-high as cover to shoot diagonally at front. Most people look straight, so you can take your time and pick head after head.
-if your team is attacking, go and join them, or use wall to give them sniper cover
-always check from time to time water way, sometimes go down and check if enemy's there (if you jump down right in front of them they usually can't aim), and actively repair your bastion, by both adding missing blocks and remove any additions made by your team or enemy. Most frequent additions made by enemies are: making wall that protect interior from your team, stairs that let them enter upper level from front and path that let them sneak above the water behind water wall

It turned to be quite long essay about simple structure... but that's how it works when you spend dozens of hours improving it. It's too big to be added to the guide directly, but you could use "principles" and some photos.
In pace leones, in bello cervi
CalenLoki

Postby Tai » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:40 am

CalenLoki wrote:Interesting thread. I'll go build my own GH1 design (really extensively tested) and post screens.

Hey Calen - Really interesting system of labeling your image :)

I enjoyed that extensively and would love to include it in a map guide if you would let me.

Very nice work.
Tai's War Academy

Tai

Postby Captin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 pm

A great guide that obviously took a fair amount of time and effort. One thing I must stress is the value of becoming a "server regualr" as it really gives the game a whole new aspect and really aids in overall team cordination as you count on those couple of other regulars in a firefight.

I look forward to see other where this Guide will go.
Captin

Postby Tigershield » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:02 am

Nice manual.

Is there a dedicated thread about ''building'' defenses. ?

If not I will make one.

And how do i put images into the forum just like tai's thread ?
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Tigershield

Postby Triplefox » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:32 am

We should discuss the babel game mode. Here are the rule changes:

-A long platform is suspended at the center of the map, holding both intels
    -Each team has a tower area defined near the platform, on their side
    -You can't destroy your own tower area
    -Enemies can only destroy your tower area from close range

Because destruction is very difficult in this mode, most designs will stay up if they have some redundancy built in. I spent a few hours playing this mode today and my current evaluation is that dense staircases(supported every other column) are probably the best trade between build time, stability, and usability; however, it seems to help to have a sheer wall at the front line and some sniping points so that the builders are protected.

Even if the tower holds, attackers can pour out endlessly from underground tunnels, because they can dig around the tower and defenders can't - the best they can do is patch up the holes. If the map is flat and tunneling is eliminated, the game progresses much faster. The terrain matters a LOT in this mode.
pyspades contributor, sometimes mapmaker, @ player, indie dev
follow my twitter or yt: @triplefox - sctriplefox
Triplefox
Site Admin

Postby Tai » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:55 am

Tigershield wrote:Nice manual.

If not I will make one.

I'm already working on it. A few have been added, but most of them disappeared within a few days.

To add pictures, you have to upload them to an image hosting site like Photobucket, copy the link the site provides you with, and paste it between the "IMG" tags.
Tai's War Academy

Tai

Postby Tai » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:55 am

Triplefox wrote:We should discuss the babel game mode. Here are the rule changes:

-A long platform is suspended at the center of the map, holding both intels
    -Each team has a tower area defined near the platform, on their side
    -You can't destroy your own tower area
    -Enemies can only destroy your tower area from close range

Because destruction is very difficult in this mode, most designs will stay up if they have some redundancy built in. I spent a few hours playing this mode today and my current evaluation is that dense staircases(supported every other column) are probably the best trade between build time, stability, and usability; however, it seems to help to have a sheer wall at the front line and some sniping points so that the builders are protected.

Even if the tower holds, attackers can pour out endlessly from underground tunnels, because they can dig around the tower and defenders can't - the best they can do is patch up the holes. If the map is flat and tunneling is eliminated, the game progresses much faster. The terrain matters a LOT in this mode.

Not sure I understand... is it a pyspades addition?
Tai's War Academy

Tai

Postby DarkDXZ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:15 pm

I HATE babel mode.
I tried to build a staircase 3 times in a row - everytime people griefed it before it even started to LOOK like a staircase. Then I decided to do the same to them when they started.

And of course, no one ever paid attention to chat.
Retarded bastards... (no offence, but seriously...)
"The last thing I want to do is to hurt you. But it's still on the list." - DarkDXZ
You found my secret signature line, damnit! Alright, Polaks are bad, I admit. But it's not their fault.
DarkDXZ

Postby Tigershield » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Tai wrote:
Tigershield wrote:Nice manual.

If not I will make one.

I'm already working on it. A few have been added, but most of them disappeared within a few days.

To add pictures, you have to upload them to an image hosting site like Photobucket, copy the link the site provides you with, and paste it between the "IMG" tags.

Thanks for the help.

If i make fortification I will post it so maby you can add the image to your post. If you dont mind offcourse.
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Tigershield

PreviousNext

Return to Ace of Spades Discussion