Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Tai's War Academy

For all things AoS!

Re: Tai's War Academy

Postby DarkDXZ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:52 pm

I wanted to write something similar a few days (weeks?) ago, but was slightly too lazy to do so...
Maybe good I didn't do it, since you did it better, whatever the way I would do it!

Great work - it is very informative, easy to read, supplied with good pictures and tips for players of all ranks - both newbies and pros will learn something in here.
In my opinion, this deserves to be stickied, or at least made into the wiki.

I wonder how much will the new update affect this - with spectator mode (scouting the area), click+drag building (fast building), artillery (airstrike or manual?)...

Overall, this is at an excellent quality, and I will use a lot of tips you posted in here.
"The last thing I want to do is to hurt you. But it's still on the list." - DarkDXZ
You found my secret signature line, damnit! Alright, Polaks are bad, I admit. But it's not their fault.
DarkDXZ

Postby Pavel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Great work--its well thought-out and informative.

I disagree with some of your building designs though.

First, crooks are a bad idea because they slow you down. Sure, not having to hold ctrl is nice, but what happens when an smg gunner starts tearing your wall to shreds? You need to move quickly, and it will take a few extra seconds to move out of the crook when crouched. In contrast, if you are not stuck in a crook, you simply let go of ctrl and sprint away at full speed.

Second, why do you put roofs on your buildings? It only protects you from the occasional grenade (which you can dodge anyway). They're a waste of blocks.

Third, why do you build those tall staircasey things? Not only are they grief magnets, they give you no room to hide and make you a significant target for enemy snipers.

Otherwise, a good post. Though I would say that marking tunnel entrances is ok if they are deep within friendly territory.
[18:05:37] <+mikuli> i'll never get over the fact that Doc is ex Bi
Pavel
Komrade Member

Postby danhezee » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Your firing window needs to be two blocks high. One block high windows don't provide cover.

Build Two High and Duck {B2HaD}
danhezee
Site Admin

Postby Tai » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm

danhezee wrote:Your firing window needs to be two blocks high. One block high windows don't provide cover.

I'm confused as to what you mean... having 1 block covered simply shortens your area of fire, but it keeps you better covered when someone's attacking you with an SMG or shotgun, since their bullets don't tend to have pint-point accuracy.

DarkDXZ wrote:I wonder how much will the new update affect this - with spectator mode (scouting the area), click+drag building (fast building), artillery (airstrike or manual?)...

As I'm to understand, click and drag building is still in the concept stages (thank god), but any changes in the game will of course be worked into later versions of the guide. Thanks for asking!

TheGrumpyFuzzball wrote:First, crooks are a bad idea because they slow you down. Sure, not having to hold ctrl is nice, but what happens when an smg gunner starts tearing your wall to shreds? You need to move quickly, and it will take a few extra seconds to move out of the crook when crouched. In contrast, if you are not stuck in a crook, you simply let go of ctrl and sprint away at full speed.

Having a crook that's only one block deep is often worth it if you're working close to your base, especially when you have a height advantage, because it takes such a long time for rounds to get to you once they're fired, you usually have time to move. If you use it in combination with the firing windows, you're generally pretty well covered from sniper rifles anyways. I just prefer it because I hate holding down crouch all the time.

TheGrumpyFuzzball wrote:Second, why do you put roofs on your buildings? It only protects you from the occasional grenade (which you can dodge anyway). They're a waste of blocks.

That occasional grenade is often worth it, although you have to understand I like to frequent small, intense maps (Pinpoint, Goonhaven Assault) so a roof is a lot more useful when your enemy is walking right over top of you with grenades. They aren't necessary all the time, but I prefer them to be, especially in built up areas. To each his own, anyhow.

TheGrumpyFuzzball wrote:Third, why do you build those tall staircasey things? Not only are they grief magnets, they give you no room to hide and make you a significant target for enemy snipers.

Stairway bunkers are actually the only structure I never see get griefed, because they're too big to be easily taken down (unlike say, a box) but small enough that don't become a new "achievement" for griefers to take down (which frequently happens with things like composite walls) The height advantage is also way too great to ignore with Staircase bunkers, although they are resource intensive and take a long time to build.
Tai's War Academy

IrishElf wrote:How is camping a problem...? AoS is essentially Counter Sniper: The Game.
Tai

Postby arti » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 pm

danhezee wrote:Build Two High and Duck {B2HaD}

Nostalgia'd
arti

Postby danhezee » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Tai,

In your pictures you have one block on the ground, above it a space for the firing window. That window needs to be higher. You need two blocks under the firing window. Then you duck to take cover. You can not take cover behind one block your head will be exposed.

{B2HaD}
danhezee
Site Admin

Postby mikuli » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:53 pm

A very nice guide, worth being a sticky. Good work, Tai.
Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne
Join me in Tribes: Ascend! IGN: Mikuli
mikuli
Retired Staff Member

Postby Tai » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:54 pm

danhezee wrote:Tai,
In your pictures you have one block on the ground, above it a space for the firing window. That window needs to be higher. You need two blocks under the firing window. Then you duck to take cover. You can not take cover behind one block your head will be exposed.
{B2HaD}

But then you wouldn't be crouched.
Tai's War Academy

IrishElf wrote:How is camping a problem...? AoS is essentially Counter Sniper: The Game.
Tai

Postby TheOperator » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:23 pm

This is a great guide and sadly appears to be a necessity to the majority of new players I am seeing recently who think this game should be played like CoD/Minecraft.

Maybe we could work together on a structural building guide Tai? I am a master bunker maker.
TheOperator

Postby Tai » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 pm

TheOperator wrote:Maybe we could work together on a structural building guide Tai? I am a master bunker maker.

Sounds like fun, Operator. PM me sometime.
Tai's War Academy

Tai

Postby Cyanyde » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:14 am

Wow fantastic guide!
I haven't had time to read it all the way through yet, but there's a ton of great stuff in there.
If I can think of anything you missed, I will post more, once I've finished reading it all. :)
Cyanyde

Postby DarkDXZ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Now, make a series of map-specific tutorials and a "Fortification Index" (where you post all fortifications, complete with pictures and a description).

By map-specific tutorials, I mean these that are for exclusive maps (Hallway, Pinpoint, Deck17, Normandie, Bridgewars)...
"The last thing I want to do is to hurt you. But it's still on the list." - DarkDXZ
You found my secret signature line, damnit! Alright, Polaks are bad, I admit. But it's not their fault.
DarkDXZ

Postby Tai » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:07 am

DarkDXZ wrote:Now, make a series of map-specific tutorials and a "Fortification Index" (where you post all fortifications, complete with pictures and a description).

By map-specific tutorials, I mean these that are for exclusive maps (Hallway, Pinpoint, Deck17, Normandie, Bridgewars)...

Sure DarkDXZ... I was planning on expanding the engineering section but I didn't think it would warrant a whole nother post.

Map-specific tutorials are a cool idea, if you'd like to recommend a few.
Tai's War Academy

Tai

Postby DarkDXZ » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:48 pm

Tai wrote:
DarkDXZ wrote:Now, make a series of map-specific tutorials and a "Fortification Index" (where you post all fortifications, complete with pictures and a description).

Sure DarkDXZ... I was planning on expanding the engineering section but I didn't think it would warrant a whole nother post.

Map-specific tutorials are a cool idea, if you'd like to recommend a few.

- Hallway
- Pinpoint(2)
- Assault(2)
- Deck 17
- Colloseum
- Antic Bridge
- Bridgewars
- Urban Tank Fight
- Normandie
- Market Garden
- Island (that one with these ships...)

What? You said a few...Not all of them at a single time, you know...
Preferably maybe you should start with these classics (Hallway, Pinpoint, Assault and remakes)...
DarkDXZ

Postby Tai » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:29 am

DarkDXZ wrote:- Hallway - Definitely. One of my favourite maps and a fairly simple one to teach people.
- Pinpoint(2) - Never played it before, is it anything like the original pinpoint?
- Assault(2) - Again, never played it before.
- Deck 17 - Never played.
- Colloseum - Don't particularly like this map, but I could look into it if enough people want it.
- Antic Bridge - Maybe.
- Bridgewars - Sure.
- Urban Tank Fight - Yes.
- Normandie - For sure.
- Market Garden - Yes.
- Island - Favourite map.
Tai's War Academy

Tai

PreviousNext

Return to Ace of Spades Discussion