Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Click and Drag

For all things AoS!

Re: Click and Drag

Postby Monsteri » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:02 am

Zecora wrote:I think this would be awesome! Building and shooting are equally important parts of this game and equally appealing to me personally. However, like many others I have found myself spending more time running-and-gunning than building simply because running and gunning gets more done. In the time it takes to build one decently sized bunker, bridge, tunnel, tower, or whatever, I could have made several attacks on the enemy or defended the intel from several of theirs. Most of the time it is just not economical to start a construction project that is more than just a crenelated wall or a hole in the side of a hill.

Yeah, but building would have got more done before the autoclimb. It was exciting. It was entertaining. It was unique. Not anymore. (Shushh I'll keep whining about this until it's removed.)
Monsteri

Postby Anomalous » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Monsteri wrote:(Shushh I'll keep whining about this until it's removed.)

You and me both man. Autoclimb was the worst thing that happened to this game.
Anomalous

Postby zeusy77 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:45 pm

What kind of server do I have to be in. It will not let me in.
zeusy77

Postby Zecora » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Monsteri wrote:Yeah, but building would have got more done before the autoclimb. It was exciting. It was entertaining. It was unique. Not anymore. (Shushh I'll keep whining about this until it's removed.)

Tunnels were marginally more useful before auto-climb. Maybe I was just exceptionally good at jumping up those mountains, and everyone else sucked at it, but to be honest I found myself doing a lot of run-and-gunning BEFORE auto-climb as well. It generally seemed more worthwhile to attack than to build.

Now that we have custom maps, tunnels are more useful. For example, I was playing the swamp map on Shams and I made a tunnel system going through the cliff on the south side of the map. It provided lots of sniping spots, an alternative and stealthier path to the middle wall, a fast way up to the very top, and also an alternative entrance to the enemy base which I used to successfully capture the intel...LIKE A BOSS

People are ALWAYS scared of change. It's totally normal: When I first saw new weapons and pyspades features like squads and airstrikes I thought they were not cool. But I gave it a shot and I've had lots of fun in new situations that were not possible with the bare-bones early betas. And, there are a handful of servers you can find gen maps on with no third-party server bells and whistles, where the gameplay is pretty much the same as it was back in the day. I've been playing since some time during the .2x days: I even tried to start the first AoS clan but nobody joined because the community was barely formed (and I guess I wasn't as cool as the folks in <@> :P). I think the people who talk about the earlier betas as the golden days are over-exaggerating the changes they have seen (as well as not putting enough effort into finding the right server for them, OR running their own server).
[12:31] <MrHax> oh shit, its 12 o clock gonna go to sleep
[12:31] <MrHax> meet you in IRC in 5 mins
Zecora
[FF] Leader

Postby Tai » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:51 pm

The really big problem I'm still having with this is a complete lack of debate. You can't just introduce an idea like this and say "This is how the game is changing, and you're getting it even if you don't want it."

Sure, when new guns were added, it made the game more dynamic, more fun. But a feature like this is just going to make it easier for Minecrafters that fill up the game with useless crap, griefers to draw obscene images or fill in team tunnels, and COD players to put no thought whatsoever into the building of fortifications.

What really bothers me though is that there seems to be no room for negotiation, and I've seen many a community alienated by updates that drastically alter gameplay (Runescape, SW Galaxies). The result ends up being that everyone forgets about the game and no one wants to play it because it's filled with a sub-par community. I'd really appreciate some feedback on this from one of the admins, as I don't think I want to continue putting time into it if this game is going to turn into Nyan Cat happy hour.
Tai's War Academy

IrishElf wrote:How is camping a problem...? AoS is essentially Counter Sniper: The Game.
Tai

Postby AlexKirchu » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:19 am

Shrub74 on AoS Reddit wrote:I saw on one of Aksoy's social feeds, not sure if it was Twitter, Facebook or the news site, that Mortars and Machine Guns have been confirmed and added at a later date.

Just bringing this up, if he's gonna add machine guns then he'll need to add more functionality to building, hence the click and drag, otherwise the MG's will pummel everything and no one will be able to build with the one-by-one block system. Just my thoughts.

And please, don't start an argument about MG's now, I just thought I'd mention a possible reason for Click and Drag being implemented.
My Mods: http://tinyurl.com/753jhup
More Teams Suggestion Thread: http://tinyurl.com/8xl89ry - Show your support, vote YES =D
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/KirchuAlex253?feature=mhee
AlexKirchu

Postby Articsledder » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:40 am

Tai wrote:The really big problem I'm still having with this is a complete lack of debate. You can't just introduce an idea like this and say "This is how the game is changing, and you're getting it even if you don't want it."

Sure, when new guns were added, it made the game more dynamic, more fun. But a feature like this is just going to make it easier for Minecrafters that fill up the game with useless crap, griefers to draw obscene images or fill in team tunnels, and COD players to put no thought whatsoever into the building of fortifications.

What really bothers me though is that there seems to be no room for negotiation, and I've seen many a community alienated by updates that drastically alter gameplay (Runescape, SW Galaxies). The result ends up being that everyone forgets about the game and no one wants to play it because it's filled with a sub-par community. I'd really appreciate some feedback on this from one of the admins, as I don't think I want to continue putting time into it if this game is going to turn into Nyan Cat happy hour.

Last time ben tried this the poll was hacked, and we almost ended up with a sniper rifle instead of a shotgun.

If it was done with a forum thread instead of a poll I would like it.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby danhezee » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:34 am

AlexKirchu wrote:
Shrub74 on AoS Reddit wrote:I saw on one of Aksoy's social feeds, not sure if it was Twitter, Facebook or the news site, that Mortars and Machine Guns have been confirmed and added at a later date.

Just bringing this up, if he's gonna add machine guns then he'll need to add more functionality to building, hence the click and drag, otherwise the MG's will pummel everything and no one will be able to build with the one-by-one block system. Just my thoughts.

And please, don't start an argument about MG's now, I just thought I'd mention a possible reason for Click and Drag being implemented.

Very astute observation, We wanted to focus on improving building before we added things like mortars and heavy machine guns.
danhezee
Site Admin

Postby KillerEnt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:49 am

Want to know whats being forgotten?

Simplicity.

Simplicity is what made the game good in the old days, adding stuff like this complicates the game, you have to speed up to play. Building defences needs to be a skill, not a easy click and drag task. This game will become noob friendly. Furthermore, this will be a VERY abused feature. Greifers and Minecraft players will have easier tools to destory this game.
KillerEnt

Postby Tai » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:26 am

KillerEnt wrote:Want to know whats being forgotten?

Simplicity.

Simplicity is what made the game good in the old days, adding stuff like this complicates the game, you have to speed up to play. Building defences needs to be a skill, not a easy click and drag task. This game will become noob friendly. Furthermore, this will be a VERY abused feature. Greifers and Minecraft players will have easier tools to destory this game.

Couldn't agree more.
Tai's War Academy

IrishElf wrote:How is camping a problem...? AoS is essentially Counter Sniper: The Game.
Tai

Postby Squeal » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Construction on this game is not a skill, rather it has almost been abandoned. I put forward my whole support to the click and drag, it will make construction practical and useful. Sure, it may make it easier for to build some genitalia, but think of it this way. On what occasion did people constructing a few inappropriate things ruin your game?

None.

So think rather of the positives than a few small negatives, I'll be looking forward to some more dynamic game-play with the new feature.
Squeal

Postby danhezee » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Simplicity.

I dont understand how simplifying something decreases simplicity. That is a very counter-intuitive statement. You want a game that is simple to use and play but you want it to be so complicated it is difficult for new players to understand. That also is hard to understand.
danhezee
Site Admin

Postby Naneo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:55 pm

This = Uber easy building...
This = Uber easy griefing

That is all I need to say...
Naneo

Postby KillerEnt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:50 pm

danhezee wrote:

Simplicity.

I dont understand how simplifying something decreases simplicity. That is a very counter-intuitive statement. You want a game that is simple to use and play but you want it to be so complicated it is difficult for new players to understand. That also is hard to understand.

By simplicity i mean the game had barely anything, it was easy to understand but difficult to master.Adding click and drag is making it noob friendly. Its taking away the skill of making a good defence. This game is taking the wrong path by adding 'cool stuff'. Theres a reason why 99% of people thought the old game was better.
KillerEnt

Postby Squeal » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:48 pm

KillerEnt wrote:
danhezee wrote:

Simplicity.

By simplicity i mean the game had barely anything, it was easy to understand but difficult to master.Adding click and drag is making it noob friendly. Its taking away the skill of making a good defence. This game is taking the wrong path by adding 'cool stuff'. Theres a reason why 99% of people thought the old game was better.

While I agree on the point that simplicity made the game fun, I will have to disagree when you try and claim that making construction easier will ruin game-play.

Most matches now consist of very little construction, in many cases people do not even make small bunkers or bridges. If construction was made easier, then I'm sure we will see more use of one of AoS's key features, and it should enrich gameplay.

Current constructions is not skilled, it's impractical.
Squeal

PreviousNext

Return to Ace of Spades Discussion