Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Potential defensive assets.

For all things AoS!

Re: Potential defensive assets.

Postby BobTheAvenger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:21 am

I wish I could take a greater amount of my blocks (say 5) to make a block stronger than normal. Now nothing amazing mind you but maybe double strength to shooting or a few more spade hits. A little something to slow down the RPGS.
BobTheAvenger

Postby ugotpiez » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:25 am

If it's double-strength blocks, shouldn't it take 2 blocks? o: But that is a pretty cool idea, we just have to find some way to do that, like how you would select those blocks.

[IGN] USABxAIRLINES -- BOOYOxAIRLINES -- El Jefe -- Airlines
ugotpiez
[USAB] Member

Postby LASTofS » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:37 am

Keep in mind each player has 50 blocks, and to build a Forward Operating Bases on the front lines require at least 2 people, depending on the size and stability of the "FOB" (cute term by the way). How do you expect us to build when we are constantly getting shot at? And when the FOB's are so far away from spawn, the enemy could either take control of our fort or grief it.

Or worse, your teammates will grief it for you. Anyways, I like how more emphasis is being put into the building/defense part of the game. Good to know there are still builders out there. As negative as I might sound, I actually enjoy building bases for my team. Probably won't get thanked for it, but at least my fortress contributed to the team. Now they have something to defend and some cover to protect themselves.

As you've suggested, AoS is becoming more of a "shooter instead of a hybrid of building and shooting". Now, I've always been supportive of stronger blocks, and I want to bring the suggestion back into consideration here. What do you think of having stronger blocks? I feel that the blocks we have at this point in time are too easily destructible; therefore one of the many reasons not to build anything other than a small 2-block-high gray wall.
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby Tigershield » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:13 pm

I like stronger blocks to. LIke a few people suggested already, Like LASTofS and another forum user (forgot name)

But how can we integrate that into AOS?

A small idea, when you spawn you get 50 blocks just like normal AOS. But you can give those 50 blocks to the tent, that tent generates stronger blocks overtime and you have a choice of how strong the blocks are going to be. You can pick those stronger blocks when they are ready via the tent menu.

The tent can hold 1000 blocks maximum. And you need to re-supply the tent via mining. You can gain new blocks by using the shovel, just like we do now. So we kinda have mining sites.

So we kinda have a small new profession in AOS the resource gatherer (miner). You dont need to choose a class you just need to change your gameplay style. are you bored of playing soldier start helping whit building or mining.

1. We have the (miner) collects blocks ( it's the backbone of the team,)
2. The (builder) builds defensive assets.
3. The soldier. fights off enemy

Another small that kinda fits in the above idea ^.

Right now the tent gives you automaticaly new blocks and ammo and nades and health.
what if the miner (block collector) re-supplies the tent whit the blocks and the tent generates blocks/ammo/nades/health.

offcourse you have a new kind of griefer. The resource user that just throws away the new generated equipment.

Sorry for shitty english.
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Tigershield

Postby Habsburger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:29 pm

Tigershield wrote:I like stronger blocks to. LIke a few people suggested already, Like LASTofS and another forum user (forgot name)

But how can we integrate that into AOS?

A small idea, when you spawn you get 50 blocks just like normal AOS. But you can give those 50 blocks to the tent, that tent generates stronger blocks overtime and you have a choice of how strong the blocks are going to be. You can pick those stronger blocks when they are ready via the tent menu.

The tent can hold 1000 blocks maximum. And you need to re-supply the tent via mining. You can gain new blocks by using the shovel, just like we do now. So we kinda have mining sites.

So we kinda have a small new profession in AOS the resource gatherer (miner). You dont need to choose a class you just need to change your gameplay style. are you bored of playing soldier start helping whit building or mining.

1. We have the (miner) collects blocks ( it's the backbone of the team,)
2. The (builder) builds defensive assets.
3. The soldier. fights off enemy

Another small that kinda fits in the above idea ^.

Right now the tent gives you automaticaly new blocks and ammo and nades and health.
what if the miner (block collector) re-supplies the tent whit the blocks and the tent generates blocks/ammo/nades/health.

offcourse you have a new kind of griefer. The resource user that just throws away the new generated equipment.

Sorry for shitty english.

If a miner resupplies the tent , there won't be blocks after the 1000 run out , because no effing one will bother about it. But stronger blocks are something we're needing. The current strenght of blocks is inferior to the strenght of a sandbag.

If i don't build 3 thick walls , even the 2 thick ones will be gone in no time , and with the SMG accuracy and steamroller ability against blocks , one can simply snipe a fort to the ground.

Edit: and the miner would be too much minecraft centered , we probably would have to deal with minecraft kamikaze fans if we implemented that. Oh god i remember the times when we called those who built "Minecraft austists" . Those are now gone , now no one builds!
Ashamed to be brazilian , monarchist.
Habsburger

Postby Tigershield » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:49 pm

Hey guys I made a large upgrade on the Green bunker base. In the pictures you see some big bunkers. But there is a hidden large underground bunker near the large Green base.

If you want to see some pics go to this link. ( hidden bunker is not on the pictures)

The bunkers are pretty large so i had trouble getting good pics. but if you want to see it in-game PM me or ask me on IRC, and I will start a server so you can explore.

http://i.imgur.com/3s0LE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8kffp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8kffp.jpg
Tigershield

Postby XxrockxX » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:02 am

im a engineer/sniper but i think i have idea about the bunker for nade defense.

ok your typical nade explodes in a 3x3 pattern so i think you should do it like a real bunker

add two-block thick walls in the front , add a bunker turret on top with two mgs one facing backward and the other forward
that way you have 360 degree view on the battlefield.

please dont shun me about my grammar :p
CaN i HaZ TeH PoWeRZZZZ
XxrockxX

Postby Fluttershy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:16 am

LASTofS wrote:Keep in mind each player has 50 blocks, and to build a Forward Operating Bases on the front lines require at least 2 people, depending on the size and stability of the "FOB" (cute term by the way). How do you expect us to build when we are constantly getting shot at? And when the FOB's are so far away from spawn, the enemy could either take control of our fort or grief it.

It should be a challenge and team effort to create and maintain whats essentially a base right next to their spawn.

LASTofS wrote:Or worse, your teammates will grief it for you.

Probably, but thats never going away.

LASTofS wrote:As you've suggested, AoS is becoming more of a "shooter instead of a hybrid of building and shooting". Now, I've always been supportive of stronger blocks, and I want to bring the suggestion back into consideration here. What do you think of having stronger blocks? I feel that the blocks we have at this point in time are too easily destructible; therefore one of the many reasons not to build anything other than a small 2-block-high gray wall.

Stronger blocks would help, but it wont really truly fix the problem completely(but it should still happen). If we want to see actual bases/forts and shit there needs to be a real reason to build them other than camping with a bit of cover. Having a team specific ammo/health "tent" out in the frontlines is a wonderful way of doing so, and as long as it doesnt do what TC does and have people spawn there I fully support the idea.

But reading the suggestion in the OP, people shouldnt be forced to build uniform bases, thats boring and it may as well just be a "place building here and wait 5 minutes for it to deploy" type of thing from a rts.
Fluttershy

Postby gusv150 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:10 am

In my opinion the reason building is gone is unsuitable custom terrains. for example most urban maps and bridges maps.
gusv150
[DELTA] Member

Postby Tarkaris » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:53 am

I present, The intel cave.

http://i.imgur.com/InIqI.gif

The red block represents intel. The cyan blocks are pillars.

The idea is to have some pillars with 1 block wide spaces in between to provide cover for a defender.

Creation:

You dig you intel a little bit deep (enough to cause damage if you can before hitting bedrock), Then dig around in a plus pattern to start and make hallways and pillars.

Variants:

Shooters could add blocks to duck behind with Ctrl, adding cover and preventing enemies from simply chasing them down. This can also help with surviving grenades.

You can also dig under the intel further, putting yourself on a higher level than an enemy if he grabs the intel.

Application:

Extremely helpful for Zombie defenders, as the cover allows for successful ambushes. Just be sure not to dig away your own pillars!

When you need more men on the front line for coordinated attacks and the like, this can help free up manpower without causing an overload of risk.

And that's my Intel cave!
"I'll change the world... Through my own will."
http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9308 Visit for Castle Crashers and Gundam stuff!
Tarkaris

Postby Articsledder » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:46 pm

I helped build this in Gen Wars the other day

It was built right over a tent (the smaller flag) and was pretty close to the center of the map (F5/F6 border) We had about 3 or 4 people dedicated to building it.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby Tarkaris » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Nice. I assume the building was often used then?

As for block strength, The supply tent could simply take your starting 50 blocks and convert them into 25 double strength blocks. Then if you wanted more double-strength blocks without dying you'd have to mine and turn them in for a 2-1 ratio. Otherwise the tent could behave like normal and give you 50 normal strength blocks as usual.

Just a thought.
"I'll change the world... Through my own will."
http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9308 Visit for Castle Crashers and Gundam stuff!
Tarkaris

Postby Tai » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:04 pm

LASTofS wrote:As you've suggested, AoS is becoming more of a "shooter instead of a hybrid of building and shooting". Now, I've always been supportive of stronger blocks, and I want to bring the suggestion back into consideration here. What do you think of having stronger blocks? I feel that the blocks we have at this point in time are too easily destructible; therefore one of the many reasons not to build anything other than a small 2-block-high gray wall.

Introduce remove to place ratios and watch the block spam unfold...

All kidding aside though, I was initially against stronger blocks as I loved jackhammering, but as of late the game is too laggy to make it effective, and I've grown tired of having a ratio of less than 2.

Now it's seeming like they're going to be a necessity. The Minit servers recently introduced blocks (removal and placement) as an unlockable, which I like in theory, but in practice it's very agitating when you just want to make a door and can't because you don't have 10 kills (even as a server regular).

It's all irrelevant though because Ben is just going to ruin the game with the implementation of vehicles that fly (abolishing the need for roads), infinite ammo machine guns (abolishing the need for every gun), and grenade launchers (abolishing the need to move from the tent when trying to level an entire map).

Being as pyspades was reverse engineered, I wonder if we could so something similar with the Voxel version of this game and maybe actually fix the things that need fixing (IE NETWORK OPTIMIZATION)...

Alas, only a dream.
Tai's War Academy

IrishElf wrote:How is camping a problem...? AoS is essentially Counter Sniper: The Game.
Tai

Postby jdrewlowery » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:43 pm

Tai wrote:

Introduce remove to place ratios and watch the block spam unfold...

All kidding aside though, I was initially against stronger blocks as I loved jackhammering, but as of late the game is too laggy to make it effective, and I've grown tired of having a ratio of less than 2.

Now it's seeming like they're going to be a necessity. The Minit servers recently introduced blocks (removal and placement) as an unlockable, which I like in theory, but in practice it's very agitating when you just want to make a door and can't because you don't have 10 kills (even as a server regular).

It's all irrelevant though because Ben is just going to ruin the game with the implementation of vehicles that fly (abolishing the need for roads), infinite ammo machine guns (abolishing the need for every gun), and grenade launchers (abolishing the need to move from the tent when trying to level an entire map).

Being as pyspades was reverse engineered, I wonder if we could so something similar with the Voxel version of this game and maybe actually fix the things that need fixing (IE NETWORK OPTIMIZATION)...

Alas, only a dream.

funny people laughed at me and the admin shut own my four when i said ben was ruining tha game
I'm nooby and i know it
jdrewlowery
[SPQR] Member

Postby Tigershield » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Articsledder wrote:I helped build this in Gen Wars the other day

It was built right over a tent (the smaller flag) and was pretty close to the center of the map (F5/F6 border) We had about 3 or 4 people dedicated to building it.

Nice FOB there. Keep it coming.
Tigershield

PreviousNext

Return to Ace of Spades Discussion