Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

♕ Admin Academy Beta 0.1 ♕

SPQR is an up-and coming clan compromised in mid-2012. We hold onto several key values such as kindness, respect and maturity, where being skilled at Ace of Spades is secondary to this. We're quite competitive and have a strong emphasis on clan matches. The most important attribute of our clan is that we play for fun and enjoy ourselves, and if you sign up, we hope you enjoy yourself too.

♕ Admin Academy Beta 0.1 ♕

Postby Kodiak » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:06 am

Admin Academy Beta 0.1

So, you've signed up for SPQR and thought, "Hey, I'm available to help the clan out, but I don't know what to do!"

If you are feeling this way, perhaps you should look into becoming an administrator for the SPQR clan server.

"Kodiak, tell me about the server."
The server is located in the United States on a VPS paid for in full by Tin and Scipion.
It is running Pyspades and thus comes with a plethora of commands, some for easier administration, some for fun.

Commands you need to know

/ban or .ban
Eg. /ban nickname time reason date yourownname
Eg. /ban MaciekPL 0 hacking 27/09/12 Kodiak

0 is the time for permaban.
10080 is the time for one week
The default time is set to 1 day.

You should permaban hackers and votekick abusers.
You should ban griefers for 1 week.

/kick or .kick
eg. /kick name reason
eg. /kick MaciekPL Aggresive towards admins

/mute or .mute
eg. /mute name
eg. /mute MaciekPL
Use this for excessive swearing and racism.

/map and /advance or .map and .advance
eg. /map mapname
eg. /map isleofwar
eg. /advance
( map advanced forced. Next map: isleofwar)
(Use this only with permission.)

/banip or .banip
Same as /ban, but replace the nickname with the player ip.

/from or .from
Gives a GeoIP location of the player
eg. /from nickname

(More may be added as I remember them.)

"Thanks for clearing that up Kodiak, how can I be an effective admin?"

The first and foremost thing you should do is behave in a way that is beneficial to clan prosperity. That's not to say don't joke around and be yourself, but don't cause unnecessary drama and don't be an asshole. Prove sufficient maturity and you mightn't even need apply, but be approached by a SPQR leader requesting you become a server admin (This is entirely your choice).

The second thing you should do is learn the use of IRC, become familiar with the SPQR server channel (http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=#spqr.server) and preferably download an IRC client. My personal favourites are KVIrc http://www.kvirc.net/ and mIRC (http://www.mirc.com/) which both have their pros and cons. Feel free to try them both out, mess around with settings, find what suits you. Once you've connect to the IRC, you should be voiced with a + next to your name (Eg. <+Kodiak>). This allows you to speak in the server with the talk prefix, !. Example:
<Serverbot> [SPQR]Tin: Kodiak is so much better at AoS than me he is so MLG pro.
<+Kodiak> !I know.

That covers the basics of IRC adminship, let's delve a little deeper.

Once you become an IRC admin you'll be given an @ tag next to your name (Eg. <@Kodiak>) This allows you to use the server command prefix, which is currently a . (period). Example:

<Serverbot> [SPQR]Tin: Kodiak is a gay deuce
<@Kodiak> .mute [SPQR]Tin
<Serverbot> *[SPQR]Tin has been muted by @Kodiak
<@Kodiak> !no u

Lastly, a Quakenet "auth", or authentication, is mandatory. Information can be found here http://www.quakenet.org/help/q/how-to-r ... unt-with-q
If you have trouble with it, PM Kodiak on the IRC and he'll help you make one.

That's IRC adminstration covered, let's move on to server admin.
As Tin operates the VPS, he can add in passwords for your server admin if you're accepted.
Once you've been accepted, contact Tin to add in your password by telling him the pass that you want.
Once you've received a pass, be warned. Releasing your pass to /anyone/ will result in admin termination, and possible clan kicking, though that's up to the leadership, not me. Generally to prove trust, we will ask you to spend a few days/weeks adminning from IRC first, before handing you a pass. When a pass has been received, join the SPQR server and type in /login (adminpass). Once done, this allows you to use admin commands with the usual / prefix found in user-wide commands.

ADMINISTRATION RULES
1.Do not use /rollback unless you're familiar with its operation and the situation is appropriate. As a general rule, ask Kodiak, Scip, Tin or Color first.
Punishment for breaking:
1st offence: Casual warning.
2nd offence: Formal warning.
3rd offence: Server admin removal.

2. Always be transparent. If a user is breaking server rules, and is hacking, griefing or building dubious structures, you must not neglect to investigate the issue should you notice it, regardless of if the violator is a friend or not. This sounds harsh, but it's only to make the server the best for everybody .
Punishment for breaking:
Casual warnings
Formal warnings for multiple offences

3. Do not use the /master command under any circumstances, unless advised by a high ranking SPQR member. If you feel it should be used, you need only ask.
Punishment for breaking
1st offence: Formal warning
2nd offence: Server admin removal

All other server rules and regulations are expected common-sense, and you will be casually advised if they are broken.

"So Kodiak, I've read through all of this and I'm confident I'll make a good admin. How do I apply?"

The general prerequisite for becoming a server admin is to a member of the [SPQR] clan, though we'll make exceptions for those who we feel can be trusted and know exactly what they're doing (eg. Colorpinpoint).
If you would like to apply but are not a member of the clan, feel free to message a high ranking SPQR member on the IRC and we'll tell you if an application is wise.

Once you feel you are ready to apply, and have demonstrated to server staff your knowledge of the information explained above, apply in this thread in the following format:

Name:
Why you would like to become an admin:
Previous experience (if applicable):
Timezone:
Quakenet auth:
Any other information you feel has not been covered:

Current Admins
Kodiak
Tin
Scipion
saxbassman
Colorpinpoint
Demonarion
LIAM
topologist
Carnage
Pulchy
Last edited by Kodiak on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
^Click the eyes for the IRC^
Image - Image - Image
Kodiak
[SPQR] Member

LIAM's Applicatoin

Postby liamnike999 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:46 am

Name:

• LIAM

Why you would like to become an admin:

• I would like to become an admin because I have been very active on the SPQR server I have been involved in lots of clan things, so I thought it was time to concentrate on trying to become an admin, I have been thinking about donating some money to the clan It's just I don't think I should Kodiak's signature explain's in all, I have been trying to help this clan as much as I can, I have been trying to help Kodiak admin but he already knows everything, I have been researching about administrating & I have spent many hours.

I am kind of mature but some times I can have down times, I'm a friendly person but I am only friendly if you are friendly to be, I don't just ban people for 2 years (Believe it or not but I have seen an admin ban some for 4 years), I kick them then if they come back I'll ban them for 2 weeks then if you see them again hacking I will get one of the leaders to perm-
    ban them, I may not be an expert at this game but over the Month's I have learned the key to this game, The games not about being the best it's about trying to be the best if you lose you just practice again and again until you finally beat them, I am a sort of funny kid but not on Internet, I have been playing AoS for 2 years now, I am not pro like most of the SPQR members are so I'm not much of a participant.

I have been looking forward to this moment for many weeks now and it has finally come, I respect (most) people around me, I am a good team-working person, I'm not good with 1v1 at the moment but like I said I never give up most of the AoS player give up ater they have been beaten 5 times in a row.

I'm a dedicated person to the clan I try and help the clan as much as possible so this is part of that, I now lots of the commands and I know pretty much all the IG (In-Game) Commands.

I want to help the admin's with administrating the server to mack sure that the server has no hacker / greifers I wish it was possible an a way to ban all of them, but sadly that techno has not come, I stay up almost all night on the IRC talking to the clan.

I have been asking Sax, Kodiak, Color, Tin and Scipion to change the map and I feel as thought I'm annoying them so I thought I should become an admin for myself.

Previous experience (if applicable):

• I have been admin on lots of server's including the FX server and I was very good at that, I have been admin for many other server so I'm good with that, I have been IRC administrating for a while on other channels, so I thought this would build up to make me a expert with commands, I have been helping Kodiak & Color to ban hackers and that was really fun, I have tried to host a server but it's just to hard.

Timezone:

• ACST / GMT +10

About myself:

• I'm 11, I live in Australia but i was born in England, I am the only boy in my Family, I am very active on AoS (Ace of Spades), I can run 25km per hour & I am a sporty kind of person, I am the best player in my soccer team, I'm good at basketball, I have been playing AoS (Ace of Spades) since I was 9, I am very active on Ace of Spades, I spend most of my time on IRC, I am a mature person for my age so I thought I would come and apply for a server Admin pass, I play most of the time on Minit assault, I am not really the kind of person who is inpatient and who says things like this "GIMME ADMIN PASS... GIMME GOD MODE NOW".

I have been administrating smaller server's for 2 weeks now, I am a big drinker don't worry I don't drink bear or alcohol I drink pepsi, I am good with maths, I enjoy having small match's like 1 v 1, I am a trusting kind of person, I live in a one story house, I use a laptop with a finger-pad and people say I use a mouse, I am really good with making Application's, I have a PS3 and i am good on that I play Battle field 3, my favourite food is fish 'n' chips, , I'm really good at Karate, I am dedicated to Ace of Spades most night's I stay up until 1:00 AM at night, I first found out about forums 3 Months after I started playing Ace of Spades, so I thought I should join a clan, so yeah that went on for a long time and it still is.

Thankyou for taking time out to read this.

~ LIAM
Last edited by liamnike999 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Centurion (Active for at least 5 weeks)
• [SPQR] LIAM
liamnike999
{AGAN} Member

Re: Admin Academy Beta 0.1

Postby Kodiak » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:50 am

There is a strict policy in the OP to follow on banning hackers and griefers, but apart from that, that was a very lengthy, quite nice application.

Also don't drink me :'(
Image - Image - Image
Kodiak
[SPQR] Member

Postby liamnike999 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:52 am

I edited it a sec ago to put the thank you for readi and the ~ LIAM part

EDIT: I like pepsiak though :'(

Centurion (Active for at least 5 weeks)
• [SPQR] LIAM
liamnike999
{AGAN} Member

Postby topologist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Name: topologist (why is this a requirement? :<)
Why you would like to become an admin: Just to help out a bit. IRC takes up a lot of my time and having something to do other than flicking through channels after every sign of activity would be nice.
Previous experience: Set up + administrated several servers in the past, including three LDR servers and two lotsofco.ws (you probably don't remember/never saw these) servers for a little while. Pretty decent knowledge of pyspades.
Timezone: UTC+10
Any other information you feel has not been covered: I've been administrating pyspades servers since before I even started playing the game. :)
REDACTED
topologist
[SPQR] Member

Postby saxbassman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:57 pm

topologist wrote:Name: topologist (why is this a requirement? :<)
Why you would like to become an admin: Just to help out a bit. IRC takes up a lot of my time and having something to do other than flicking through channels after every sign of activity would be nice.
Previous experience: Set up + administrated several servers in the past, including three LDR servers and two lotsofco.ws (you probably don't remember/never saw these) servers for a little while. Pretty decent knowledge of pyspades.
Timezone: UTC+10
Any other information you feel has not been covered: I've been administrating pyspades servers since before I even started playing the game. :)

I would like to vouch for topo, he knows what he's doing and I trust him :)
IGN: [SPQLDR]sax
[SPQR] Subsection: viewforum.php?f=277
[LDR] Website: http://www.ldrship.org
saxbassman
[SPQR] Member

Re: ♕ Admin Academy Beta 0.1 ♕

Postby Conduit » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:05 am

Oh man, I wanna apply but I'm worried my Past Enclave instincts of stalking players, building crosses and mini Divide's will take over.
MODS! http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3631
[SPQR]Conduit
PSN: MechaXeno1951

^ CLICK 4 LEGIT 100% FREE DEATHCLAWS!
Conduit
[SPQR] Member

Postby Adolphus » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:28 am

Name: Adolphus
Why you would like to become an admin: we need more U.S. admins and i am on a lot
Previous experience (if applicable): none
Timezone: (UTC-8:00)Pacific Time (US & Canada) ,(UTC) Coordinated Universal Time and (UTC+1:00) Tin time;-]
Any other information you feel has not been covered: the need to cover all time-zones...
Adolphus
[SPQR] Member

Postby Found » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:36 am

I read this whole thing and laughed at 'Kodiak is a gay duece.' Why did you put that here?
Did you get permission from Kodiak?
Sorry if I sparked any anger. It's quite funny.
Found

Postby Kodiak » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:52 am

I put that in myself Found.. :P
Image - Image - Image
Kodiak
[SPQR] Member

Postby Found » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:12 am

I'm so embarrest now.
Found

Postby Carrotstick » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Would like to apply sometime when I get active in-game.
p.s. Vouches for me will earn you $10
pp.s I am not giving a bribe.
ppp.s Just do it.
Carrotstick
[SPQR] Member

Postby Carnage » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Name
[SPQR]Carnage or Carnage

Why you would like to become an admin
Currently, I administrate 4 servers, those servers being LeafCutters US Assault, LeafCutters US 2, Minit Babel, and Minit Infiltration. I used to administrate clan servers in the past, but lost administration due to the fact that they shut down, or just because I was no longer in the clan anymore. I think I'm ready to administrate another server, and one that people come on quite a bit. I've a lot of experience with both in-game administration and IRC administration, so I'm about 99.9% sure I'm ready to become an admin on the SPQR clan server.

Previous Experience
Minit Babel, Minit Infiltration, Enclave Server, Komrade Server, Brotherhood Server, LeafCutters US Assault, and LeafCutters US 2.

Green font represents the servers I administrate now, and red font represents the servers I've administrated in the past.

Timezone
EST (Eastern Standard Time)

Any other information that you feel has not been covered
None.
Last edited by Carnage on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carnage
[SPQR] Member

Postby Venator » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Carnage wrote:Name
[SPQR]Carnage or Carnage

Currently, I administrate 4 servers, those servers being LeafCutters US Assault, LeafCutters US 2, Minit Babel, and Minit Infiltration. I used to administrate clan servers in the past, but lost administration due to the fact that they shut down, or just because I was no longer in the clan anymore. I think I'm ready to administrate another server, and one that people come on quite a bit. I've a lot of experience with both in-game administration and IRC administration, so I'm about 99.9% sure I'm ready to become an admin on the SPQR clan server.

Previous Experience
Minit Babel, Minit Infiltration, Enclave Server, Komrade Server, LeafCutters US Assault, and LeafCutters US 2.

Green font represents the servers I administrate now, and red font represents the servers I've administrated in the past.

Timezone

None.

You forgot the Brotherhood Server :p
Venator
[SPQR] Member

Postby Carnage » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Venator wrote:
Carnage wrote:Name
[SPQR]Carnage or Carnage

Previous Experience
Minit Babel, Minit Infiltration, Enclave Server, Komrade Server, LeafCutters US Assault, and LeafCutters US 2.

Timezone

None.

You forgot the Brotherhood Server :p

I added it.

Carnage
[SPQR] Member

Next

Return to [SPQR]