Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

♕ Basic Forum Etiquette - Please Read ♕

SPQR is an up-and coming clan compromised in mid-2012. We hold onto several key values such as kindness, respect and maturity, where being skilled at Ace of Spades is secondary to this. We're quite competitive and have a strong emphasis on clan matches. The most important attribute of our clan is that we play for fun and enjoy ourselves, and if you sign up, we hope you enjoy yourself too.

♕ Basic Forum Etiquette - Please Read ♕

Postby saxbassman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:20 pm

As you all know, our clan is awesome. Fortunately for us, we are not the only ones that think this. We have a good reputation. However, that will disappear if we start acting up on the forums and IRC. Seeing as we don't want this, I am here to dish up some guidelines for basic forum etiquette. Read on and learn.
Note: These all apply to servers, forums, and in game. I suggest reading Kodiak's IRC guide as well.

1. BE RESPECTFUL
This is vitally important (herr derr sax). Respect everyone in the clan and out of it. If they're a higher rank, a lower rank, a mod, an admin, or a fellow member of the community, it doesn't matter. In my books, if you call anyone something insulting, it's the same as insulting the king/queen/prime minister/president etc. You will be dealt with.
Be excellent to each other.

2. NO SPAMMING
This covers every aspect of the forums. PM's, posts, creating new topics, everything. For example, if you are banned from a server:

GOOD:
Hello, my name is Johnnius McJohnPants, I am in the [ONION] Clan, I was banned from our clan server for building large onions everywhere, but they were part of the map, may I please be unbanned?
Thank you for your consideration.
- John

BAD:
IGN: JOHNNIUS McJOHNPANTS
UNBAN ME
UNBAN ME
UNBAN ME
PLZ PLZ PLZ

^ Repeat ad lib in multiple posts.

Spamming will only annoy people. Some argue that spamming gets them heard.

They're right.

It also gets them kicked rapidly.
It is also always better to edit a previous post than to double post.
Be polite.

3. SPELLING & GRAMMAR
Ok, the big one.
I am well aware that for some of you, English is a second language.
Therefore I will not be harsh.
Some general things, however:
You always look that little bit more mature if you don't use abbreviations. In saying that, there are exceptions (lol, etc,and other 'essentials'), but try to steer clear of 'plz', 'thx', 'btw' and that sort of thing.
Use capital letters where they should be used.
Try to make your grammar as correct as possible.
And, no swearing in public please. On Mumble, say what you want (*cough* Tin *cough*), but keep it clean where it can be seen. Rhyming the rules like a boss.

4: BE A GRACIOUS LOSER
If someone headshots you from across the map, or out-maneuvers you in a forum game, things like that, say "Well played, good sir." And move on. If they're cheating, we will find them out. Then you may giggle at them, once. And not where they can hear you.
Rage is another one of those things that destroys reputations, but don't bottle it up, that makes things worse. That said, don't let it out in a public place either.
If you're annoyed, take it up with the person/people that annoyed you, or an mod/admin.

5: USE YOUR MORAL COMPASS
This one is simple. Trust your instincts. If you think to yourself -
"Hmm.. This post could annoy <insert group of people> very much. Maybe I should..."

What you SHOULD do at this point is simple. Either a) edit your post or b) just don't post it.
Your instincts are usually right.

6: HAVE FUN
Self explanatory.

7: REMEMBER, IT'S A GAME
At the end of the day, you're playing a video game, or you're on a forum with others who play it. AoS is our bond, but, it isn't life or death. If you stuff up, it can be bad, yes, but everything is overcomeable. Especially with your clan by your side. Have fun :)

On Thread Creation
I understand we are all very excited about our subsection, and we all want to get a piece of the action by posting tons of threads.
However.
A lot of the attempts at "official" threads I'm seeing have obviously been thrown together in ~5 minutes. Threads which have been stickied so far - the ones by me, Kodiak, Tin and Scipion - came about through a long process of drafting, re-drafting, hard work and effort. Using PM's and IRC queries, we sent drafts of our threads to each other and opened them up for editing. As a matter of fact, Kodiak proofread this one. In short, all the stickied threads are that way because of the time and effort put into them.

A Guide to Creating An Effective Thread

Most importantly, put time into your threads! Like cheese, threads will improve the more time you spend on them.

If your thread is intended to be important and relevant, make it so. "Silly" threads are fine (Eg. Demo's joke thread) and are an integral part of the forum experience, but posting something under the title "xXxIMPORTANT CLAN MESSAGE RECRUITMENT REVISION PLS LUKxXx" and then proceeding to talk about what you had on your toast this morning, or presenting them in an informal manner is not recommended.

If you want your thread to become official, firstly, DON'T rewrite something we already have. That is unhelpful. Once you have written your thread to the best of your ability, PM it to me, Kodiak, Tin or Scipion (pastebin is helpful for this) and we will review it for you. When we suggest things, we are only giving constructive criticism, for that we wish only to produce the best threads possible, for the best clan ever. :)

Finally, language. Good grammar, spelling and structure are important, refer to the language section in my Basic Forum Etiquette (above) for more. If you are unsure of a word or grammatical construct don't hesitate to ask a fellow clan member for help.

Thanks for reading, Sax.
Last edited by saxbassman on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
saxbassman
[SPQR] Member

Re: Basic Forum Etiquette

Postby Kodiak » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:28 pm

10/10 sexy
^Click the eyes for the IRC^
Image - Image - Image
Kodiak
[SPQR] Member

Re: ♕ Basic Forum Etiquette ♕

Postby Carrotstick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:00 pm

In other languages,do good stuff.
Carrotstick
[SPQR] Member

Re: ♕ Basic Forum Etiquette ♕

Postby saxbassman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Edited to include a guide on thread creation :)
IGN: [SPQLDR]sax
[SPQR] Subsection: viewforum.php?f=277
[LDR] Website: http://www.ldrship.org
saxbassman
[SPQR] Member

Return to [SPQR]