Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

The Tactician's guide [WIP] v0.02

Have things to say? Post here!

The Tactician's guide [WIP] v0.02

Postby ZaPhobos » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:27 am

Code: Select all
Please note that the tactician's guide is still in development.  Please bear with me.

Here at [DELTA] we want our soldiers to be in tip-top condition.
That means we need them to have book smarts as well as street smarts on the field.
It is assumed you know the basic controls and mechanics of Ace of Spades.
So without further ado, I present:

The Tactican's Guide v0.02
Benifitting yourself and your team.

Table of context:
  • 1. Defensive play
  • 2. Offensive play
  • 3. Support role

1. Defensive play
Break-down - Defensive play refers to holding a certain point on the map so that it is not overrun by the other team. This can be used for multiple instances, such as defending strategic points, bridges, or just keeping them away from your intel and spawn.
Defensive play most often occurs in capture the flag and infiltration gamemodes.
Normally involves hollowing out a hill of some sort, making a large bunker to take the brunt of the force and provide firing holes, or making a stealthy bunker, camouflaged and build to look like the landscape.
Cover is key to defensive play, stay behind it, preferably on a high vantage point, so that they don't see you until you've got your sights on them and it's too late.

Often Most Suitable weapons - Rifle, shotgun
Since you are playing a defensive role, you will most likely not move very much.
This tactic is mostly based on letting them come to you while others advance, and you stay put. For maximum effectiveness with the rifle you should find a high vantage point where enemies are less likely to see you and you can observe a large area to pick off approaching enemies, they are looking low and will most likely not see you. If they do spot you, back away from the spot until the heat's off, there is always a chance of a lucky rifle shot. The shotgun defensive tactic is best when enemies often break past defenses, such as holes in walls. You patrol said defense breaches and patch them after killing the unsuspecting enemy. In other words, pitch a tent, and camp.

Why the SMG is not suitable - Stray bullets can often destroy parts of the defensive structures, and it lacks the firepower for a quick kill on an intruder at close range, and even if you do kill them, you will more than likely caused collateral damage to the base/bunker/whatever cover you have. If you're really good with the SMG, you can use it with the rifle tactic (MLG pros only)

2. Offensive play
Break-down - Refers to charging towards the enemy to either gain kills, or steal the intel.
Most often seen on infiltration, arena, death match, and capture the flag maps.
It is smart to use squads to bunch people together and get into an area. Cover is your best friend.
Offensive play can also be simply called "Charging" or, "Rushing" or my personal favorite, "FOR THE HORDE!".
You go Rambo mode on them, take out as many as you can while you advance, crippling their advance and if you're lucky, stealing their precious intel.

Often most suitable weapons - Shotgun, SMG
Since you are attacking, you can go ahead and grab an SMG to tear up their defence. Shotguns are also suitable since they can kill people with one shot if you are close enough. Sqauds are excellent for this. You can arrive next to a teammate who hunkers down, and proceed with the onslaught.

Why the rifle is not a suitable weapon - Unless you are VERY good at the rifle you are better off as a supporting role. The rifle wastes bullets attempting to break blocks, and quite frankly it just isn't fast enough for the hustle and bustle of CQC.

3. Support role
Break-down - This role is rarely seen. You stay near the middle of the map, not really defending anything, not really charging towards them, just killing. It's a very flexible position, you can proceed to take an offensive position, or retreat back to take a defensive role. It is seen on every game mode.

Often most suitable weapons - Any
You can really be doing anything in this position, thus any weapon. Rifle for sniping approaching enemies, SMG for taking out closer targets, and the shotgun for an ambush kill on anybody passing by. This is a very flexible position, as said before.

Weapon Specific Tactics and Teamwork
Break-down -
Last edited by ZaPhobos on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:43 am, edited 16 times in total.
ZaPhobos
[DELTA] Member

Re: The Tactician's guide [WIP] v0.01

Postby FaZe » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Nice guide. Chapter 3 should be all about camping. I'm an expert.
FaZe
[DELTA] Leader

Postby NIASKA » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:16 pm

We could list some of the tactics with each weapon, for example im pretty decent with the rifle and smg.
NIASKA
[DELTA] Member

Re: The Tactician's guide [WIP] v0.02

Postby ZaPhobos » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:50 am

Upgraded to v0.02

Support role added.
Offensive role finished.
ZaPhobos
[DELTA] Member

Postby Dracolth » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:10 pm

I play Support style and offensive style.
Dracolth

Postby Trollolz » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:29 pm

FaZe wrote:Nice guide. Chapter 3 should be all about camping. I'm an expert.

Don't forget. Wall-spading.
Trollolz
[DELTA] Leader

Postby ZaPhobos » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:34 pm

Trollolz wrote:
FaZe wrote:Nice guide. Chapter 3 should be all about camping. I'm an expert.

Don't forget. Wall-spading.

Sapping will be covered... Unless your talking about people spading into walls.

Then you're screwed.
ZaPhobos
[DELTA] Member

Postby rd15awesome » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:29 am

very interesting!
I'll add this to things to do
sorry for the late reply
rd15awesome
[DELTA] Member

Postby ZaPhobos » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:27 am

Oi, people, this isn't going to progress on it's own! We need ideas and writers working! Pm me good passages for use to get some fame in it, and help this thing go faster.

When it's done, I hope to get this stuck in an official [DELTA] spot for easy viewing.
ZaPhobos
[DELTA] Member

Postby rd15awesome » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:28 pm

It's too general. I can't even find which role I play. Maybe we should put some sub topics and put how to get better...
Actually, all I need is a good connection, a rifle, and practice.
Good Connection-Most westerns have that
Rifle-available anytime
Practice-oh, you know what this means...
rd15awesome
[DELTA] Member

Return to Off-Topic