Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Player Model Voxel Damage

Got a great new idea for the game?

Player Model Voxel Damage

Postby troyboy152 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:18 am

Hi guys haha, i was walking down the street today and was thinking to my self about AoS... since before i had left i had been doing some skin modding... and i got thinking..

Seen as all the player models are made of separate voxels anyway, why not allow actual player model damage. ie. when a bullet hits an enemy, there actually will be visible damage to the model like a hole through the chest or head...

I would say the damage ratio would be like this:

Shotgun: each PELLET (not shell) penetrates one voxel deep and the adjacent voxels on the model would change to a pink-red colour showing the wound clearly... (thus the closer you are the deeper the hole due to the concentration of pellets)

SMG: almost the same as a shotgun pellet, however the bullet penetrates two voxels deep

Rifle: Same again, however a rifle shot has no maximum penetration thus the bullet passes straight through the body. (May Create the hole to 3X3 voxels, however this is up for debate.)

ADDITIONALLY: Limbs could work in the same way structures work on terrain, if there are no adjacent voxels keeping the structure connected to the ground it falls down, in this case say you were shot in the upper arm with a rifle, blowing the whole arm off... the rest of the arm would fall away!

Optionally:

I also had the thought (plus some of your comments ;) ) that having your arm blown off or leg blown off would OBVIOUSLY hinder your movement capability so (Just an idea hehe so shoot it down as much as you want)

1. that you would go down to the ground... with camera view the same as you would if you were dead (should you be able to shoot whilst down or just be injured?) while other players could come to your aid with adrenaline or the likes. this shot wouldn't heal you, but allow you to make Your way back to the closest Command Post.

else

2. rather then going down, Severely slowing the player until they reach a command post...

personally id rather not add either of these to the game (Gets a bit complicated :S) but then again maybe it would be nice haha if I had to choose i would probably prefer option 1. since it will promote team work in game...

Obviously, not all players will find this option enjoyable (to gory or what ever) so thats why i thought it would work well as an option in the config file.

Thanks for reading, tell us what you think :D

[EDIT] spelling errors corrected, added injury disadvantage
Last edited by troyboy152 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
IGN: [UWD]Comatose

Feel it rising, yea its not falling
Feel it rising, comatose, with no fear of falling
troyboy152

Re: Player Model Voxel Damage

Postby Gorman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:22 am

Possibly the most disturbing suggestion I have seen on these forums. It might be cool but who would ever see it?

Ah, who am I kidding, I would love to see this, watching a chunk fly off some guys head as I shotgun him at point blank or shooting someones arm off, sounds pretty fun.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby BrosephRadson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Im ok with this
+2
kmaj wrote: Pasrdonn my grmnar, butg i'm writingh whjle masking a faxcepalmm.
BrosephRadson

Postby Vortex » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:12 pm

I think its a good idea. Why? Because we do not have Hitpoints visible for all too see, so we do not see the health of our opponents. So why not have visible damaged, it will look even better than hit points. Bullet holes, arm off, seems pretty good.
Vortex

Postby SIMOX » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 pm

IF it's possible then I'm all for it.
My all mods are Here. My first map is Here
Plays Ace of Spades since 2011 April 11 [0.21]
SIMOX

Postby chieltbest » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:20 pm

I think... everyone agrees. +2
chieltbest

Postby Yakkers » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:16 pm

I'd support it, as long as it was just a reddening visual effect, in the same style as Voxelstein 3D. I think having body parts fall off and hinder movement would be a little too complicated, not to mention a tad too morbid. I like Ace of Spades for its simple classic 100 health system.
Yakkers

Postby Cyanyde » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:15 pm

Sounds pretty cool, but if you lost both arms, how would you hold your gun? :p
Other than that, I'm all for it. :)
Cyanyde

Postby Vortex » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:01 am

Cyanyde wrote:Sounds pretty cool, but if you lost both arms, how would you hold your gun? :p
Other than that, I'm all for it. :)

Lets just say the left arm can be shot off. Then again, half of the players use gun mods with arms attached, haha, so they won't see a difference.
Vortex

Postby Build » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:38 am

Gore? Cool.

Make it Client sided though. I don't want to relive another invisble soldiers bout.
... I was gone for a month and came back to a game that hadn't changed a bit.
Build

Postby lehma18 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:19 pm

5/5
"Killing is just one of those things that gets easier the more you do it"- Solid Snake
"I did what i was told to do, the best i could." - Simo Häyhä, legendary finnish sniper.
lehma18

Return to Game