Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Ö. Ä and Å letters to chat

Got a great new idea for the game?

Ö. Ä and Å letters to chat

Postby Tek2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:05 am

This would help scandinavian players to talk normally. At the moment they just appear as weird satanic symbols.
Tek2

Re: Ö. Ä and Å letters to chat

Postby lehma18 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Nah. You should talk English so everyone can understand
"Killing is just one of those things that gets easier the more you do it"- Solid Snake
"I did what i was told to do, the best i could." - Simo Häyhä, legendary finnish sniper.
lehma18

Postby USABxBOOYO » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:31 pm

This is an English forum hosted in America, why do we need Scandinavian letters?
USABxBOOYO
Global Moderator

Postby Tek2 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 pm

USABxBOOYO wrote:This is an English forum hosted in America, why do we need Scandinavian letters?

This isn't a suggestion for the forums, but to the game. How do you think I got those letters to the title?

lehma18 wrote:Nah. You should talk English so everyone can understand

How about private chat and people who can't speak english?

If the game would have those letters (and many others from other languages) it could have a larger playerbase.
Tek2

Postby USABxBOOYO » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Oh alright. It's strange how you can type these ridiculous symbols using Ctrl, yet those characters aren't in-game.
USABxBOOYO
Global Moderator

Postby Gorman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:57 pm

I see them in the fonts bitmaps, so I guess they weren't implemented for a reason. Though I can't think why...

It should be a simple matter of changing 1 constant but... we all know how that turns out in AoS...
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby CalenLoki » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:30 pm

And also add Ę Ą Ś Ć Ź Ó Ż ect. so it's fair for other countries.
Either we're going with simplified version or whole unicode.

Personally I'd stay with simple version - I can't believe that your language can't work without special symbols.
In pace leones, in bello cervi
CalenLoki

Postby lehma18 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Tek2 wrote:
USABxBOOYO wrote:This is an English forum hosted in America, why do we need Scandinavian letters?

This isn't a suggestion for the forums, but to the game. How do you think I got those letters to the title?

lehma18 wrote:Nah. You should talk English so everyone can understand

How about private chat and people who can't speak english?

If the game would have those letters (and many others from other languages) it could have a larger playerbase.

The playerbase grows quite fast already, at the end of the year there's atleast 3000 players. If you think we need more players, suggest the game for the big gamers of youtube. (Yogscast, Totalbiscuit, Captain sparklez)
Personally, i think it's annoying when you're talking to someone and then suddenly the chatbox's full of "ugala bugala, mongo bongo" If you don't speak english, please use skype/vent to communicate with your native language. When i play with my friends, we don't go "Ei v*ttu mikä noobi, SUOMI OWNAA PRKL" on the chatbox, we yell it to each other on skype. It's also faster to communicate with mics.
"Killing is just one of those things that gets easier the more you do it"- Solid Snake
"I did what i was told to do, the best i could." - Simo Häyhä, legendary finnish sniper.
lehma18

Postby Gorman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:38 pm

CalenLoki wrote:I can't believe that your language can't work without special symbols.

Would you say the same about Korean? Chinese? Japanese?

Most languages require something different from the Latin alphabet.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Bandage » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:39 pm

I'd like to have these in the game. As I'm a finnish guy like lehma18 seems to be (name would might be lehmä18 with those letters included in the game), I've struggled with some random buddies at talking to them: some words just won't make sense with the ä's bein a's, ö's being o's and whatever. We end up doing a small flood to the chat because of our explaniations, and we don't actually want to do that. I mean, seriously. We were happy back then to get those letters in to the Minecraft too, because talking was way easier after that.

It wouldn't be bad to add those letters in there, it won't break the game, nor bug it out when done right.
PS: kmaj is a grammarnazi
Bandage
[USAB] Member

Postby Derpylicious » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:31 pm

lehma18 wrote:

The playerbase grows quite fast already, at the end of the year there's atleast 3000 players. If you think we need more players, suggest the game for the big gamers of youtube. (Yogscast, Totalbiscuit, Captain sparklez)
Personally, i think it's annoying when you're talking to someone and then suddenly the chatbox's full of "ugala bugala, mongo bongo" If you don't speak english, please use skype/vent to communicate with your native language. When i play with my friends, we don't go "Ei v*ttu mikä noobi, SUOMI OWNAA PRKL" on the chatbox, we yell it to each other on skype. It's also faster to communicate with mics.[/quote]

So you're saying that the In game chat should only be for the English speaking world? Even on a game such as AoS where a fair bit of the online population are made up of french, poles, russians, swedes, danes and every other nation you can think of?

There are moments where Im playing and the chat is full of other languages, for the sole reason that there are more non-english speakers online then there are english speaking.
Please think out your opinions through before you decide to post them.
Derpylicious

Location: 3.56 bee Gravy Street, Binglesbury, Mongshire, DE23 5PY

Postby CalenLoki » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Gorman wrote:
CalenLoki wrote:I can't believe that your language can't work without special symbols.

Would you say the same about Korean? Chinese? Japanese?

Most languages require something different from the Latin alphabet.

No, I'm talking about languages that use modified latin alphabet. I.e. I'm form Poland and I have absolutely no problem reading it without national letters (even though they sometimes completely change pronunciation and meaning)

+ AFAIK (I can be wrong here) Japanese can use latin alphabet to speak in native language, don't know how with others.
In pace leones, in bello cervi
CalenLoki

Postby Build » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:24 am

+1
... I was gone for a month and came back to a game that hadn't changed a bit.
Build

Postby Gorman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:11 am

CalenLoki wrote:No, I'm talking about languages that use modified latin alphabet. I.e. I'm form Poland and I have absolutely no problem reading it without national letters (even though they sometimes completely change pronunciation and meaning)

+ AFAIK (I can be wrong here) Japanese can use latin alphabet to speak in native language, don't know how with others.

aye, Japanese can use romaji.

English is modified Latin too, we removed some and added some. I think we would not do well if we did not have J/G/Y, for example.

It would certainly be hard to distinguish between "jolly" and "golly" even with the classical Latin alphabet (which does have a G). Imagine if it were the vowels that were different!
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby tunaspirit » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 am

But it is annoying if some russian guy goes yelling stuff in cyrillic so nealy nobody understands him.
[18:33] <+boolface> hey guys imma releqase 0.76 now
[18:34] <+Ethoslab> TheGrandmaster hey do you have any idea when updates gona come
[18:34] <+gen_applejack> now
[18:34] <+gen_applejack> as boolface told us
tunaspirit

Next

Return to Game