Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

General Balance Fixes

Got a great new idea for the game?

General Balance Fixes

Postby pithecircle » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:02 am

Not too exciting, I know, but this is one of the most unbalanced games I've ever played, but it has lots of potential, so I'm willing to put time into it.

Here I'm going to point out several problems and possible fixes.

The Rifle is the best weapon in the game by a lot. What problem does this cause? It makes it harder to play the SMG and near impossible to play the shotgun, because the game is a giant sniper fest. You run into the open, boom headshot. You fire at someone, by the time you've hit them enough to kill them with the SMG you've already been killed one by a headshot, and if you fire from long range with the shotgun it's useless.

So what do I propose? Well, it's a difficult issue, you could buff the SMG and shotgun, or you could buff the shotgun and nerf the Rifle. Those are practical fixes. Some more work required solutions are adding handguns that have less ammo and damage, but supplement your weapons weakness, accuracy for the SMG, range for the shotgun, Something for suppressing fire such as a burst gun for the rifle, but that would again require either nurfing the rifle or buffing the other weapons. Alternatively, you could make it so you could switch between either two or all three weapons during the match without dying.

Which brings me to the other issue, building.

You can build relatively easily in this game, but if there's any enemies nearby i.e. usually, you'll get killed before you can dig a hole or place anything.

Solutions? No idea, here's a few ideas, but nothing really respectable. On is while you aren't holding a weapon you could be immune from headshots, and be able to take a bit more damage. Or alternatively, you could have spades break blocks instantaneously, and have guns break blocks slower.

Which brings me to the last prominent problem, map sizes. The problem with this is that most maps are so large that the SMG and shotgun are almost obsolete since you need to either be at close range or using an extremely accurate weapon. I know tat this is the fault of the map maker, not the creator of the game, but it's still a major problem.

Solutions are either a map size limit, a lesser tendency to giant maps in the community, or one of two things I've p reposed for previous problems, which were, Buffed SMG and shotgun, supporting side arms, or the ability to switch in the middle of battle.

Thank you for reading.
pithecircle

Re: General Balance Fixes

Postby BrosephRadson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:50 am

Shotgun is already overpowered IMO, except on certain maps where theres not many camping places (ie. a fresh generated map).
Smaller maps = CoD. The fog is there for a reason.
All weapons have their uses. If youre getting headshotted too much, either stick to better cover, find alternate routes to the objective, or simply go to a different server.
kmaj wrote: Pasrdonn my grmnar, butg i'm writingh whjle masking a faxcepalmm.
BrosephRadson

Postby Fluttershy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:56 am

Solution to the problem. Build tunnels and walls. Shotgun and smg are fine as they are, but quite frankly, youll get raped trying to snipe people from fog distance with shotgun, which is why you build walls for above ground travel, and tunnels to sneak under the enemy. avoid maps like pinpoint or other one level maps because they suck for anything other than rifle.
Fluttershy

Postby Tek2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:50 am

I think that smg is pretty fine now.
What I would like to see is an increase to shotguns damage at medium ranges.
Tek2

Postby Gorman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:59 am

I disagree - SMG's primary use is not taking out players, it is taking out cover. As you said, as soon as you leave cover you are shot (well not quite true, even on full servers I can comfortably leave cover for a couple of seconds so long as I know no one is intently hardscoping me), thus since SMG is extremely powerful in taking out cover, it is extremely powerful.

One shotgun user getting to the enemy's wall can cause havoc among the defenders. I would say that all 3 weapons have their roles, it is just that people prefer kills to support or pushing, so semi seems to be the best.

My own balance would push towards making each role more suited, buffing SMG's clip size to make it even better at taking out fortifications, buffing shotgun's pellet count and spread to make it even stronger for close range.

As you said, a lot depends on the map. For maps with prebuilt structures you will find semi will usually dominate, but when players are forced to build themselves, then SMG is on equal ground. On a map like assault you will find SMG can decimate an entire team by removing cover, and shotgun can leverage all the stray cover to close the gap between the teams and really deal some damage.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Return to Game