Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Picking up ammo from dead enemies

Got a great new idea for the game?

Picking up ammo from dead enemies

Postby Heniu » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:54 pm

As the tile says. If enemy had the same weapon as you, you can pick it up to recive some ammo.
Sorry if this suggestion was somewhere, and sorry for any mistakes. My english isn't very good
Heniu

Re: Picking up ammo from dead enemies

Postby pithecircle » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:27 am

Here's the problem: Ammo conservation is a key part of strategy, if you add this, then you remove an element of the game. Sorry, but I'd say no. I'd also stay away from this so you can avoid taking the CoD clone path.
pithecircle

Postby Yakkers » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:44 am

I say yes, but you can only take ammo from your own dead teammates. Taking it from enemies would be too common, it'd break the strategy of ammo conversation.
Yakkers

Postby Gorman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:53 am

pithecircle wrote:Here's the problem: Ammo conservation is a key part of strategy, if you add this, then you remove an element of the game. Sorry, but I'd say no. I'd also stay away from this so you can avoid taking the CoD clone path.

I agree with you on the first point, adding anything that gives extra ammo needs to be VERY carefully considered.

I don't really care if suggestions are a clone from peoples favourite games, but just because it works well there doesn't mean it will here. CoD and AoS are very different games.

I do like the idea of encouraging people to keep moving forwards though, but perhaps this isn't the way to do it. AoS has a constant battle between dynamic and static play - you can stay and build and camp, or move forward and take a risk for more gain (also it is necessary to win!). This is one of the cool things about airstrike, it can be used on a defensive position to get them to play more staticly, or it can be used to deny an area in front of an advancing player to make them behave more staticly.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby MrChucklez » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:01 pm

I agree with Gorman. Ammo conservation is one of the main strategic points that the game forces us to live with (which is a good thing). It makes the game challenging. If you could take ammo from dead enemies, that would be too often. If you could pick ammo off of dead friendlies, that would create a lot of camping. I have had my share of sitting high up in a base getting 20 kills in a row, but usually what stops me is the need for ammo. If anyone is near me and they die, i could just refill. It would just have to be done carefully.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
He's Awesome
MrChucklez

Postby mman789 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:44 am

Yakkers wrote:I say yes, but you can only take ammo from your own dead teammates. Taking it from enemies would be too common, it'd break the strategy of ammo conversation.

That. It only would work like that.
The hacks! THE HAAAAAAAX!
SteamID: Mman
mman789

Postby CommanderCody » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:54 am

i think we should have classes,like an engineer,who could have a special ability to refill allied players ammo,
or a medic,who can heal ally units or revive them while their body is stil on the ground,as the respawn counter is going down.
| Join {AGAN} Today | IGN-AGANComandrCody | I Am a Combine |
CommanderCody
{AGAN} Leader

Postby Fluttershy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:56 am

Private: CAPTAIN, why wont this ammo work!

Captain: Because private *points at green ammunition looted from a dead body*, thats a rock! our guns actually use real ammunition and not shitty rocks they found in their morning slop!

Private:oh.

Yakkers wrote:I say yes, but you can only take ammo from your own dead teammates. Taking it from enemies would be too common, it'd break the strategy of ammo conversation.

How so? if anything looting an already dead body of a team mate for ammo seems easier and more convienant than killing an opponent and walking over to the corpse, which more often than naught will be in the middle of enemy territory to begin with.

alternatively, we can only return one clip/magazine or half a clip/magazine per dead body to begin with, so careful aiming/ammo conservation equates to you never running out of ammo, but spraying will lead you to running out of ammo regardless.
Fluttershy

Postby CommanderCody » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:59 am

fluttershy has a point
| Join {AGAN} Today | IGN-AGANComandrCody | I Am a Combine |
CommanderCody
{AGAN} Leader

Postby TBS » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:57 pm

pithecircle wrote:Here's the problem: Ammo conservation is a key part of strategy, if you add this, then you remove an element of the game. Sorry, but I'd say no. I'd also stay away from this so you can avoid taking the CoD clone path.

omg... there needs to be a rule against mentioning cod.
TBS
Bastion Member

Postby Gorman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:22 am

Part of the point of looting dead enemies is to encourage people to be more aggressive. I am not sure that this fits AoS, you should make decisions based on the overall game not on a desire to steal from dead enemies.
Fluttershy wrote:so careful aiming/ammo conservation equates to you never running out of ammo, but spraying will lead you to running out of ammo regardless.

That being the case, doesn't it not change anything?
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Fluttershy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:57 am

Gorman wrote:That being the case, doesn't it not change anything?

It wouldn't really change anything if you're inefficient with ammo, besides offer an incentive to improve your efficiency so you don't run out. However, that enough would justify its addition.
Fluttershy

Postby Gorman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:02 am

Fluttershy wrote:
Gorman wrote:That being the case, doesn't it not change anything?

It wouldn't really change anything if you're inefficient with ammo, besides offer an incentive to improve your efficiency so you don't run out. However, that enough would justify its addition.

It wouldn't affect semi users really though, since bodies only exist for 10 seconds. Even SMG users may struggle to get there in time if they are shooting at he far end of their engagement distance.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Fluttershy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:14 am

Gorman wrote:It wouldn't affect semi users really though, since bodies only exist for 10 seconds. Even SMG users may struggle to get there in time if they are shooting at he far end of their engagement distance.

Bodys would lay there slightly longer, and disappear once the ammo was looted. How much longer? no longer than 30 seconds. Thats easily enough time for any semi user to walk over to the body, assuming that its not behind enemy lines where its likely protected (any gun would be screwed over by that).
Fluttershy

Postby Build » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:51 am

^and before anyone else says anything: No it does not have to effect spawn rate.
... I was gone for a month and came back to a game that hadn't changed a bit.
Build

Return to Game