Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

OpenGL, do we REALLY want it?

Got a great new idea for the game?

What do you think of OpenGL?

OpenGL looks like crap.
8%
OpenGL looks like crap somebody vomited in and then sprayed with ground up roadkill.
4%
I do not know what OpenGL looks like, because I went blind immediately after trying to view a video of OpenGL client.
14%
OpenGL is amazing and I love it.
74%

Total votes : 84

Re: OpenGL, do we REALLY want it?

Postby Moonkey » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:20 pm

tunaspirit wrote:When minecraft got smooth lighting its graphics were comparable to Crysis 2.

Smooth lighting has to be the easiest and cheapest way to place smooth lighting. No where comparable to Crysis 2. I've seen many Minecraft clones with smooth lighting, I'm guessing they're competing with Crysis 2's graphics also.
Space Inspader
Moonkey

Postby Szuwar » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:13 am

Minecraft is so badly coded that any change to it's engine is considered improvement. After all how much one man could f­uck up, right?

This thread is not really, how shall I put it, constructive. OP seems to not have idea how developing process looks like (as TGm mentioned before) and most of the people agree that OpenGL is a good thing (how making something work on more machines could be considered bad? Don't mention performance and further improvements.).
Szuwar

Postby cem26 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:20 pm

how to get Ace of Spades - OpenGL
cem26

Postby SIMOX » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:23 pm

cem26 wrote:how to get Ace of Spades - OpenGL

It's not released yet.
My all mods are Here. My first map is Here
Plays Ace of Spades since 2011 April 11 [0.21]
SIMOX

Postby HoboHob » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:29 pm

And it won't be available for anyone.

Seriously, I think there needs to be a voxlap version of 1.0.
HoboHob

Postby skully172 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:17 pm

openGL is better, we can actualy run more sounds whit it lol (from what ive heard)
skully172

Postby Fluttershy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:48 am

The two things i dont like about open GL is it (last i tried) didnt work on my computer and the fucking hands. those hands are just blegh.
Fluttershy

Postby ChaosTLW » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:55 am

Fluttershy wrote:The two things i dont like about open GL is it (last i tried) didnt work on my computer and the fucking hands. those hands are just blegh.

I couldn't agree more with you. I just hope the hands are moddable in the final version :c
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby Derpy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:29 am

ChaosTLW wrote:
Fluttershy wrote:The two things i dont like about open GL is it (last i tried) didnt work on my computer and the fucking hands. those hands are just blegh.

I couldn't agree more with you. I just hope the hands are moddable in the final version :c

Yeah. Hopefully, they'll be part of the individual models, like with SIMOX's mods, and a few other peoples'.

I'm a brony, but not too far.

Why I choose to play AOS, and why I stay in it is a mystery to even me. Perhaps, when I grow older, I may discover that reason, and the answer to other questions of this game.
Derpy
[TSB] Member

Postby Fluttershy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Derpy wrote:Yeah. Hopefully, they'll be part of the individual models, like with SIMOX's mods, and a few other peoples'.

The way they work now i believe is they use whatever your current Arms.KV6 is. Which is stupid because noone holds anything like that, which is why I really dont like them.
Fluttershy

Postby tinkerttoy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:26 am

I think that yes, we DO need OpenGL. You know why? The coming Mac port, as well as an eventual Linux port, depend on it. I use Linux and I'm quite tired of the hackery required to run AoS on my home computer.

In addition, OpenGL has a lot of advantages, and in most ways it's better than Direct3D, the only other alternative. It's faster, more stable, uses up less memory, much more extensible, easier to code in and maintain (have you SEEN some Direct3D-based code? Only the dead can know peace from this evil.), and overall just BETTER.

So basically, OP, your opinion is ignorant and foolish. Do some research about rendering APIs before jumping to such a maddening conclusion.
tinkerttoy

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:15 pm

^there is already a mac version.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby ResistAnce128 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:12 pm

I really like the way openGL looks so far, and I think that with a small amount of improvement, openGL would be perfect. Also as paratrooper mentioned, it will only render the game in openGL from the client, and you will still be able to play the game in the old rendering system if you launch the game from the website.

On a side note, is this new client out, and were can I download it? =O
No.
ResistAnce128

Postby Derpy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:16 am

ResistAnce128 wrote:I really like the way openGL looks so far, and I think that with a small amount of improvement, openGL would be perfect. Also as paratrooper mentioned, it will only render the game in openGL from the client, and you will still be able to play the game in the old rendering system if you launch the game from the website.

There was a limited number of beta copies that were given in an our on the IRC. I got one, but I don't use it much.

I'm a brony, but not too far.

Why I choose to play AOS, and why I stay in it is a mystery to even me. Perhaps, when I grow older, I may discover that reason, and the answer to other questions of this game.
Derpy
[TSB] Member

Postby ResistAnce128 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:45 am

Derpy wrote:
ResistAnce128 wrote:I really like the way openGL looks so far, and I think that with a small amount of improvement, openGL would be perfect. Also as paratrooper mentioned, it will only render the game in openGL from the client, and you will still be able to play the game in the old rendering system if you launch the game from the website.

There was a limited number of beta copies that were given in an our on the IRC. I got one, but I don't use it much.

Mother of gog, how could you neglect such a beautiful prize fit for a champion?!
No.
ResistAnce128

PreviousNext

Return to Game