Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

[Poll] Bullet Drop

Got a great new idea for the game?

Would you like to see bullet drop implemented?

Yes
55%
No
34%
I'm not sure.
11%

Total votes : 231

Re: [Poll] Bullet Drop

Postby TheOperator » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:05 am

mikuli wrote:
DeathEnhanced wrote:OR simply use a scope such as....

With the notches representing distance, and each notch becomes accurate as a cross hair over a certain corresponding distance.

http://www.ptassassinselite.spruz.com/u ... 373542.jpg

Well in the case of those dots, they're Minutes of Angle dots or milliradian dots rather than a direct rangefinding utility even though that's their function. Using the information from the mil-dots allows the shooter to calculate the distance to the target, given that he knows the size of the target.

The PSO-1 is an optic with a direct indicators of trajectory end points over 50 or 100 meter intervals, complete with a rangefinder image for a 170cm tall target (iirc, grain of salt). Commonly found on SVD's as the standard issue optic, aka "dragunov scope".

Ive made one of those. I suppose it would make scope creation much more difficult as you would have to test ranges and distances in-game to make accurate measurements.

Then again if bullet drop was implemented wouldn't bullet drift or bullet lag be added too? (such as guy far away is running, you have to aim ahead of him)

Then again the rifle would need to be WAAAAAY more powerful then it currently is, because NOBODY would want to use it if it took a good 7 seconds minimum to line up a shot and not kill a guy in 2 hits.
TheOperator

Postby MrHaaaaaaxFF » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:37 am

TheOperator wrote:
mikuli wrote:
DeathEnhanced wrote:OR simply use a scope such as....

With the notches representing distance, and each notch becomes accurate as a cross hair over a certain corresponding distance.

http://www.ptassassinselite.spruz.com/u ... 373542.jpg

Well in the case of those dots, they're Minutes of Angle dots or milliradian dots rather than a direct rangefinding utility even though that's their function. Using the information from the mil-dots allows the shooter to calculate the distance to the target, given that he knows the size of the target.

The PSO-1 is an optic with a direct indicators of trajectory end points over 50 or 100 meter intervals, complete with a rangefinder image for a 170cm tall target (iirc, grain of salt). Commonly found on SVD's as the standard issue optic, aka "dragunov scope".

Ive made one of those. I suppose it would make scope creation much more difficult as you would have to test ranges and distances in-game to make accurate measurements.

Then again if bullet drop was implemented wouldn't bullet drift or bullet lag be added too? (such as guy far away is running, you have to aim ahead of him)

Then again the rifle would need to be WAAAAAY more powerful then it currently is, because NOBODY would want to use it if it took a good 7 seconds minimum to line up a shot and not kill a guy in 2 hits.

Solution:
Add a default distance between "notches" for the scopes.
Lets just say, you have finished your scope, and based on that "default distance thingy" you can add those notches after you have done ur scope.
Here's a touchin' story for ya: Once upon a time, you died and i live forever happily ever after. The end. Now go to hell.
MrHaaaaaaxFF
[FF] Leader

Location: Tellin' a touchin' story, description, AoS forums. Also, Vietnam.

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:37 am

i posted this before and the consensus there was no, probably because that long range sniping would be impossible if you are trying to hit them between a roof and a lower half of a wall. it would probably enter at too steep of an angle and just hit the wall. I vote no. To be clear i was not suggesting this i was just trying to get a fell of how other people felt on it so i was not contradicting my self.

Paratrooper wrote:I keep pressing the Yes button but it only gives one point!

Support. But what if bullet travel time was also calculated?

it already is because it does not register as a hit if the tracer does not hit them and the tracer takes time to go through the air as a legit thing moving forward.
Last edited by ThisFrickinSite on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby Mehrunes » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:26 pm

Stops aimbots. That is all.
I am Mehrunes, and I will be the one to reign victorious over you!... In bed.
Mehrunes
[SPQR] Member

Postby mikuli » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:00 pm

Mehrunes wrote:Stops aimbots. That is all.

Not really. You can always compensate for the lead and the drop, since even the first gen wallhacks and aimbots were aware of the location (=distance) and the movement of the target. Of course, varying your path would significantly lessen the chances of a direct hit.
Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne
Join me in Tribes: Ascend! IGN: Mikuli
mikuli
Retired Staff Member

Postby TheOperator » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:18 pm

ThisFrickinSite wrote:i posted this before and the consensus there was no, probably because that long range sniping would be impossible if you are trying to hit them between a roof and a lower half of a wall. it would probably enter at too steep of an angle and just hit the wall. I vote no. To be clear i was not suggesting this i was just trying to get a fell of how other people felt on it so i was not contradicting my self.

Paratrooper wrote:I keep pressing the Yes button but it only gives one point!

Support. But what if bullet travel time was also calculated?

it already is because it does not register as a hit if the tracer does not hit them and the tracer takes time to go through the air as a legit thing moving forward.

Just an optical illusion bro, try taking away bullet tracer and play. You will still hit things, and it will be instantaneous...unless you've never tried shooting at a moving target in this game.

If bullet drop was added in this game, I would just call it quits and slit my wrists as this would be the final thing I care about which would be ruined by idiotic ideas.
TheOperator

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:33 pm

I am pretty sure this would change how the game feels entirely, some might love it and some others might hate it, I personally would love this with bigger maps and longer fog vision (yes I am thinking about snipers), it sounds like such a great idea.
Doctor
Retired Staff Member

Postby LinktersHD » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:34 pm

StackOverflow wrote:One feature I've always wanted to see introduced into Ace of Spades is bullet drop. The concept of bullet drop is that as a bullet travels, it eventually starts to drop, just as in real life.

A prime example for bullet drop is Battlefield 3, as seen in this video. BF3 got a lot right with bullet drop with speeds, leading shots, and adding a sense of realism to the game.

It adds a whole new dimension of playing. Gameplay is no longer about who sees the other person first and is able to pull the trigger. It instead forces you to think about when/where you're shooting.

If you vote no, please give some insight as to what your reasoning is. This poll/thread is purely for feedback and has no intentions of being implemented into the actual game at the time of writing this.

This would be a very good idea and make AOS more realistic. Please add it
Nuketown map is out!:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11021]

LinktersHD

Postby Fleischgeruch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:05 pm

LinktersHD wrote:This would be a very good idea and make AOS more realistic. Please add it

AoS is NOT about being realistic. It's supposed to be simple but fun.
And no it's not a very good idea. There are 5 pages of text telling you why.
Please don't add it.
Attention - User no longer active.
Supprising. Funny. Intidimating.
<+Enari> well, i've slept with 29 yearold that looks yunger
Fleischgeruch

Postby LinktersHD » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Fleischgeruch wrote:
LinktersHD wrote:This would be a very good idea and make AOS more realistic. Please add it

AoS is NOT about being realistic. It's supposed to be simple but fun.
And no it's not a very good idea. There are 5 pages of text telling you why.
Please don't add it.

Im sorry. Please calm down. I have my own opinion. And who said its about fun. I dont SEE Bcoolface saying that anywhere. We can call it whatever we like
Nuketown map is out!:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11021]

LinktersHD

Postby TheVirgo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:17 pm

LinktersHD wrote:Im sorry. Please calm down. I have my own opinion. And who said its about fun. I dont SEE Bcoolface saying that anywhere. We can call it whatever we like

So, wait, you think a game based around blocky soldier fighting in blocky worlds and calling grenade airstrikes on each other should have REALISM??!

Also, of course the game is about fun. If it wasn't, the game would be work. You would go to the office, clock in, and play Ace of Spades from 9 until 5. If you want, you can ask Bcoolface yourself about weather Ace of Spades is about fun or not. The following link is to where you can PM him.

ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=133

Go ahead. Ask away.
TheVirgo
Komrade Member

Location: Somewhere on the battlefields of Minit in the land of AceoSpadia

Postby Paratrooper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:42 pm

I think bullet drop is fun.
To a Physicist, white and black is the presence and absence of color.
To a Fine Artist, white and black are just shades and tints of color.
To a Painter, any paint that you could get into a can is a color.
THIS color, on the other hand, is #b4d455.
Paratrooper
Local Mod

Postby ChaosTLW » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Bullet drops adds a new level of skill, because besides you having to align the sight with the other guy (from my own experience it seems like most deuces that just mess around cant do this) you needs to accounts for bullet drop and bullet travel time.
But I dont think it should be implemented with the actual fog,unless the drop is simply insane.

Oh, yes, this game isn't about realism. SO what about we make so you can fly and see other people through walls using a magic spade and add fairy bullets that lock onto the enemy's head? Because hey, this game is not about realism and all that stuff. It is about fun, and what is more fun than just flying around insta-headshotting people?
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby FaZe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Absolutely, yes. Would seperate the snipers and the sprayers.
FaZe
[DELTA] Leader

Postby monkeyXing » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:53 pm

If you have ever fired a rifle at a distance of 100 yards than you will find the bullet drop is nearly unnoticeable even with iron sights. Only time i noticed it at 100 yrds was with a .22 long rifle (aka tiny bullet with hardly any powder). And since AOS has a restricted view distance of around 150-200 yards (200 is optimistic) bullet drop would be so insignificant you would hardly notice. Also the heads are so large you could still aim the same way as before. therefore the addition of bullet drop would be pointless.
monkeyXing

PreviousNext

Return to Game