Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

[Poll] Bullet Drop

Got a great new idea for the game?

Would you like to see bullet drop implemented?

Yes
55%
No
34%
I'm not sure.
11%

Total votes : 231

Re: [Poll] Bullet Drop

Postby DrunkenChild » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:58 am

Rauder wrote:
ThisFrickinSite wrote:
ante185 wrote:let me explain how RL bullet drop works

FALSE

The closer you are to the core of the earth or the exact center of the gravity field, the stronger the gravity's affect on objecs is. There fore, firing a bullet at the top of mount everest will technically fall slower then one shot at death valley. Since this gravity increase also applies to air, the air is much less dense at the top of mount everest, and that causes the bullet speed to decay slower ovver time.

While technically true, it makes no sense to have the bullets shot from different heights if you're just looking at the relationship between mass and flight time. Same goes for differing air densities and velocity.

Not that the gravitation field and air density should even be modeled in-game, the effect would be so minimal with the altitudes on the maps it makes more sense to use a uniform field of gravity and to ignore air resistance.

Just to add on to this you must take the cornilios effect into account (where the earther spins before the bullet can reach its tagrget. You also have to take into effect up drafts and down drafts so if you shooting in the desert nothing flat it will be easier to keep a tight grouping. But if you were up in mountians shooting all the rocks can effect your aim. Also the caliber and size of the bullets. Gravity and the wind will have stronger effecs on a larger bullet.
want to see a magic trick click the pic

http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6420&p=179752&hilit=drunk#p179752

There is only 5 in a six pack
I'm not fat, it's just a beer belly
DrunkenChild

Postby Found » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:05 am

Stack, can you please unlock G3N topic please. Most of us want it back. Could you please spear us some time to unlock our topic? It would be great if you could. The drama is over now. I know this is off topic.
-Found
Found

Postby demo123 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:18 am

Found wrote:Stack, can you please unlock G3N topic please. Most of us want it back. Could you please spear us some time to unlock our topic? It would be great if you could. The drama is over now. I know this is off topic.
-Found

You know, there is a thing called PM.
Demonic Anti-Atheist Croatian(said by ChaosTLW)
Want a sig similar to mine. Send me a PM.
Screw YOLO. YOLT ftw.
demo123
[SPQR] Member

Postby Found » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 am

Ugh. I forgot. I will PM Stack.
Found

Postby ZaPhobos » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:09 am

I love realism. The great stack makes a poll about more realistic gameplay?

YES.
ZaPhobos
[DELTA] Member

Postby SRL » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:06 am

While I enjoy the idea, I always liked keeping the game on the simpler side. I don't know about the rest of you, but I just don't think that bullet drop belongs in this game. Even with the MMG and the rocket launcher coming, I still don't think that it stays in line with all the other simple aspects of the game. The basic game types are straightforward, the weapons are fairly easy to use, and the graphics are blocky and simple. But it could add a lot of interesting moments when you're aiming at someone from fogline distance. (now that I think of it, it may make many modding scopes pointless, like Enari's 1-pixel sight.)

Well, so long as wind isn't implemented afterwards, I'm all for it.
SRL
{AGAN} Member

Postby RadLova » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 am

+1

StackOverFlow,you always make me Proud :)
^^^Click here to see my channel or click the pic^^^
RadLova

Postby ante185 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:58 pm

DrunkenChild wrote:
Rauder wrote:
ThisFrickinSite wrote:FALSE

The closer you are to the core of the earth or the exact center of the gravity field, the stronger the gravity's affect on objecs is. There fore, firing a bullet at the top of mount everest will technically fall slower then one shot at death valley. Since this gravity increase also applies to air, the air is much less dense at the top of mount everest, and that causes the bullet speed to decay slower ovver time.

While technically true, it makes no sense to have the bullets shot from different heights if you're just looking at the relationship between mass and flight time. Same goes for differing air densities and velocity.

Not that the gravitation field and air density should even be modeled in-game, the effect would be so minimal with the altitudes on the maps it makes more sense to use a uniform field of gravity and to ignore air resistance.

Just to add on to this you must take the cornilios effect into account (where the earther spins before the bullet can reach its tagrget. You also have to take into effect up drafts and down drafts so if you shooting in the desert nothing flat it will be easier to keep a tight grouping. But if you were up in mountians shooting all the rocks can effect your aim. Also the caliber and size of the bullets. Gravity and the wind will have stronger effecs on a larger bullet.

Earths rotation cant effect the drop of a bullet, wind can effect the bullets path if you are shooting agenst/with the wind and a heavyer bullet is harder to push, and the higher caliber (ín general) the more powder > higher speed > slower bullet drop. (BTW the example i made was based on the guns geing fired in the same "fireing range")
ante185

Previous

Return to Game