Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Blocks should be stronger?

Got a great new idea for the game?

Should player-placed blocks be harder to destroy?

Yay!
75%
Nay.
25%

Total votes : 87

Re: Blocks should be stronger?

Postby wiw » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:20 pm

I agree that player placed blocks should be stronger. If it took twice as long to mine your team-mate's blocks that would be enough to discourage griefers.
wiw

Postby SICKfudge » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Dont know if i have commented in this thread before, but if i have, please disrigard whatever i said, because i've just decided I like the way it is now: while defending a fort i have to concentrate on both shooting and maintaining the defences, which adds more of a challenge.
IGN: SICKfudge
My avatar is Mr. Squirrel Mc Squirrelton [RIP]
ADVERTISMENT:
SICKfudge

Postby CalenLoki » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Idea of progressively stronger blocks has many flaws:
-it encourage building huge piles of crap on top of the bunker to increase front durability. makes no sense for me.
-it increase durability of stupid towers supported by few blocks (1x1 pillars for example)
-what about tunnels? tunnel floor count as surface (weak) or do we count all blocks above. If later, what about huge chambers with roofs far away from floor?

Just increasing block durability ain't that good either - it only encourage building 2x2x1 walls, just because it's enough. With weak blocks you need to at last make it long enough to hide at spot not currently hammered by SMG.

IMO best way to encourage wise building would be adding an old suggestion http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=234&t=2083 and keeping low blocks durability. So it encourageintuitive building and actions, instead of unrealistic ones: not 2x2x1 walls, dug-in bunkers are more durable than high towers, you can't tunnel with MG, maps aren't torn into pieces even with heavy artillery spam or long hours of combat.
It would totally change the way babel is played, but IMO for better and more challenging.
In pace leones, in bello cervi
CalenLoki

Postby someotherguy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 pm

CalenLoki wrote:Just increasing block durability ain't that good either - it only encourage building 2x2x1 walls, just because it's enough. With weak blocks you need to at last make it long enough to hide at spot not currently hammered by SMG.

I get your point, that is one approach on how we should encourage people to build. I would start a new thread of thoughts here using up what you said about 2X2X1 walls.
I'm totally OK if people would use 2x2x1 walls a lot. If the most optimal tactic would include building small walls for yourself, THAT would make this game really unique. I mean nowadays 30 players out of 32 just run around and shoot, like they are playing CS - because the don't see the effectiveness of a hastily built wall, it's not obvious enough for them. They run, enemy comes in their way, and they forget to build a cover for themselves. I have to ask them on chat to build something next time.
I don't think the problem of AoS currently is people not building intelligently enough. The problem is they don't build at all. I think because building currently is too difficult for a player. If it were made easier, even the most trigger-happy people would build something.
Imagine this: all 32 players on the server would build little walls for themselves, and not just brainlessly run around, because building gradually enhances your chances of survival and killing. Eventually, the small walls around a base would become a great bunker or wall. Sapping enemy buildings (with spades) would be even more important.
It would be a better AoS, I think.
someotherguy

Previous

Return to Game