Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Blocks should be stronger?

Got a great new idea for the game?

Should player-placed blocks be harder to destroy?

Yay!
75%
Nay.
25%

Total votes : 87

Re: Blocks should be stronger?

Postby MegaDeuce » Fri May 25, 2012 3:26 am

A superEasy way to make the blocks stronger is just to give the player MORE of them. If you had 500 blocks you could build a helluva sturdy fort, compared to what you can make with 50.

Near the tent-base you get epicStructures, but they're useless because they're AT the tent-base. A much higher block limit would have us seeing big-ass forts on the front lines. NOW who's wasting time with their buildings??
MegaDeuce

Postby MrHaaaaaaxFF » Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 am

What about big ass swastikas and big ass pen*ses?
No.
Here's a touchin' story for ya: Once upon a time, you died and i live forever happily ever after. The end. Now go to hell.
MrHaaaaaaxFF
[FF] Leader

Location: Tellin' a touchin' story, description, AoS forums. Also, Vietnam.

Postby xEric » Fri May 25, 2012 6:29 am

MegaDeuce wrote:A superEasy way to make the blocks stronger is just to give the player MORE of them. If you had 500 blocks you could build a helluva sturdy fort, compared to what you can make with 50.

Near the tent-base you get epicStructures, but they're useless because they're AT the tent-base. A much higher block limit would have us seeing big-ass forts on the front lines. NOW who's wasting time with their buildings??

Yeah but If my building Is no where near the tent when I run out of blocks I'll just go In battle till I die then start back on my building.
Back
xEric

Postby LASTofS » Sat May 26, 2012 1:26 am

MegaDeuce wrote:A superEasy way to make the blocks stronger is just to give the player MORE of them. If you had 500 blocks you could build a helluva sturdy fort, compared to what you can make with 50.

Hahaha, I see your point, MegaDeuce. However, the 50 block is an arbitrary limit set. I don't even think the VOXLAP engine can support 500 blocks or anything above 100 as far as I know. Sure, you might be able to build a helluva sturdy fort but that's not the point of this game. You could spend too much time building it instead of using it for its actual purpose.

In fact, I've seen some lovely forts on the classic Goon Haven 1 map.

Also, 50 blocks encourage people to use teamwork and build together. The Tower of Babel gamemode would be an excellent example to show people why we don't need 500 blocks. The stronger block suggestion comes from the gun damage nerf, which made griefing easier.

MrHaaaaaaxFF wrote:What about big ass swastikas and big ass pen*ses?
No.

Don't think of them as obsidian-styled Minecraft-type blocks. And I thought we had the ability to ban/votekick people?

Maybe you should play more often on some well-admin'd servers.

On the other hand, think about griefing. Weaker blocks = wiping a fort down more easily, perhaps more quicker than a person's ability to vkick them off? Just some things to think about.

Fluttershy wrote:But yes, despite Ben thinking its ok to up bullet/block damage because of click and drag, it isnt.

I don't know if half the players know how to click and drag build. I spent a couple of minutes explaining it to this guy on a server the other day.

All suggestions have its ups and downs. I'm aware of most of them, but I'd still like to read them and discuss. :)
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Sat May 26, 2012 3:48 pm

They should only be stronger to friendlies, enemies should be able to destroy at the same rate as now. That way only grifters will feel the difference.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby Glitch » Mon May 28, 2012 10:45 am

Block charger tool,

have it look like a scifi portal gun, and when you left click it while aiming at a block, it charges and makes the block stronger, until it reaches the limit :D
Glitch

Postby MegaDeuce » Mon May 28, 2012 10:23 pm

That's actually a really interesting idea... maybe you could only use it at point-blank range?
MegaDeuce

Postby Maxxis » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:51 am

I prefer it should be harder for friendlies, like 1/10 damage from friendlies (less grief), more damage from explosive (Destruction would be better with explosive, breaches too), and less damage from bullets.
In-game: Inactived.
IRC: Layton. (Cloak @Layton.users.quakenet.org)
Maxxis

Postby Potassium » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:32 am

I very much agree with this idea. If fortifications weren't torn down so easily by bullet spray, an average player might be more suited to build protection. Ideally this should help to shift the focus of AoS from 'run-and-gun' to strategy, where contributing to the team benefits you.
Teams would be encouraged to build larger, more formidable and effective buildings. This in turn might encourage players to tunnel under or past these buildings, taking advantage of the weaker map blocks and natural cover from enemy structures. Suddenly it may be less appealing for your average player to rush headlong at fortified bunkers.
It may be quite obvious that I'm daydreaming here, but this idea has me really optimistic.
IGN: [USAB]showboat
Potassium
[USAB] Member

Postby Dash » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:43 pm

The whole idea with the blocks above it judging its "health" is a very attractive, probably making the strength of the block increased with more blocks on top of it with - let's just say 5 is the maximum until the block reaches maximum strength. That way, people would just limit themselves to go to the trouble of making forts with 5 height. Which would mean, a mountains base would be extremely strong, and it's top would be fairly weak. A picture for visual learners:
If the surface block was destroyed, the one below it would turn into a surface block.

With the grenade, it could just do 2 damage to a block, so if it were to land on some surface blocks, it would require one more hit, before they were destroyed.

The enemies/friendly block damage is also very good idea.
Dash

Postby LASTofS » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:20 pm

I've just been told that hompy has taken the initiative to update and re-write strongblock.py..

:o

(strongblock.py is a pyspades script that makes the blocks twice as hard to destroy)
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby Tarkaris » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:18 am

+1 support. Griefers need to be "nerfed". a single griefer can do more damage than than a squad of SMG men.
"I'll change the world... Through my own will."
http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9308 Visit for Castle Crashers and Gundam stuff!
Tarkaris

Postby phil » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:48 pm

YES YES YES!
This would be great!
phil

Postby someotherguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:00 pm

stronger blocks - yes!
smg doing less dmg on blocks - YES!
progressively stronger blocks - hell why not
someotherguy

Postby Fluttershy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:11 am

That doesnt stop the fact people will be destroying them much faster than you can place them.
Fluttershy

PreviousNext

Return to Game