Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Blocks should be stronger?

Got a great new idea for the game?

Should player-placed blocks be harder to destroy?

Yay!
75%
Nay.
25%

Total votes : 87

Re: Blocks should be stronger?

Postby Monsteri » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:32 pm

MrHaaaaaaxFF wrote:nice idea.
thinking a bit realistic, well, a few rifle shot is enough to penerate a small wall of cover, right? That doesnt makes sense.

But so do few rifle shots blow your cover in a fort, there is no difference when you're going to die anyways. Not to mention it's usually way harder to repair a fortification when you have to move around and expose yourself to fire.
Monsteri

Postby LASTofS » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for the support guys, Monsteri and I will talk to bcoolface about it if we can get enough community members to agree with us
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby LASTofS » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:43 am

Update: added a poll!

Yay or Nay?
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby Triplefox » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:36 am

I added strongblock.py to hg - hopefully we'll get some servers using it. It can be configured to ignore any number of block hits per "real" one, default is 2.

You'll know if it's enabled, because it exaggerates a long-standing client bug - the left-click spade(pickaxe) functionality is almost useless because the client will stop sending "block removed" packets once it thinks the block is gone, which happens long before the server thinks so. Gunfire is also unreliable. The right-click works perfectly, so I spam a message on regular block removal saying "your spade is weak, use right click." However I may change this since it doesn't distinguish between shooting and spade.
pyspades contributor, sometimes mapmaker, @ player, indie dev
follow my twitter or yt: @triplefox - sctriplefox
Triplefox
Site Admin

Postby Monsteri » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:45 am

Good stuff Triplefox - though there comes the problem of not being able to dig blocks to BUILD the forts :D

This is why this should be implemented by Ben himself.
Monsteri

Postby LASTofS » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks, Triplefox! Good work.

I don't think this should be implemented just yet, sneak it in the AoS servers and see if people like it first.
ImageImageImage
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby dangaz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:47 pm

I also think that blocks should be tougher, but then you also should reduce the number of blocks in a stash, from 50 to, say, 20, otherwise building becomes overpowered.
dangaz

Postby Monsteri » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 pm

dangaz wrote:I also think that blocks should be tougher, but then you also should reduce the number of blocks in a stash, from 50 to, say, 20, otherwise building becomes overpowered.

But building SHOULD be overpowered. It is underpowered now which is bad for the feel of the game. At the current state we could just drop out building and give sandbag tool instead. Is that what you want?
Monsteri

Postby GreaseMonkey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:30 am

Triplefox wrote:You'll know if it's enabled, because it exaggerates a long-standing client bug - the left-click spade(pickaxe) functionality is almost useless because the client will stop sending "block removed" packets once it thinks the block is gone, which happens long before the server thinks so. Gunfire is also unreliable.

You could possibly send a "block build" message when the first "block destroy request" is received.

I've yet to find where client.exe keeps all the block health information, sadly :( But that could be an interesting client/server mod to attempt.

Alternatively I could add something to fix075.exe so it resets the counters when you break blocks :) But yeah, I still have to find that info :/
GreaseMonkey
Bastion Member

Postby LASTofS » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:18 pm

izzy plans on putting this on one of his Babel servers, it'd be worthwhile to see how it would affect tower building and the game mode in general
ImageImageImage
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby LASTofS » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:35 am

For the sake of our community;

bump.
ImageImageImage
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby bobbotheclown » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 pm

I support this. but the walls should be hard to destroy only for guns. spades and grenades keep the damage they always have.
Bobbo's awesome pack II
Bobbo's Awesome Pack I
I downloaded this game because it's free. i play it because it's fun and free.
bobbotheclown

Postby MrHaaaaaaxFF » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:06 pm

bobbotheclown wrote:I support this. but the walls should be hard to destroy only for guns. spades and grenades keep the damage they always have.

This.
Here's a touchin' story for ya: Once upon a time, you died and i live forever happily ever after. The end. Now go to hell.
MrHaaaaaaxFF
[FF] Leader

Location: Tellin' a touchin' story, description, AoS forums. Also, Vietnam.

Postby LASTofS » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:47 am

Sure.
ImageImageImage
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby TheOperator » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:28 am

Rifle goes back to taking 3 shots to destroy a block

SMG should take 5

Shotgun is fine as it is with block destruction

Regular hits for spade should go back to 3 as well

Also, we should go back to having 100 blocks. You cant build anything functional with only 50 blocks.
TheOperator

PreviousNext

Return to Game